BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first IH / 1800's coin.

I found this at a school yard this past weekend. It's not an old school. (Built in 50's or 60's) I have pulled a ton of clad from the field but the only old coin I ever found there was a 1950's wheatie. I was shocked when I pulled this out of the hole. Considering about half the wheats I get are toasted I'm surprised it's in as good as condition as it is. NC soil is ROUGH on copper. I just dry brushed it with a toothbrush.

1898 IH

Upvote 11

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start out with just a dry toothpick after a dry brush, then soak them in distilled water over night, if there is stubborn dirt I'll hydrogen peroxide the crap out of it. I have a few of them soaking in light oil. Indian Head Cent's are one of my favorite finds. I agree with Abe, they are very tuff, just like Carolina Tom, fastest way is HP, I just like tinkering with them.
Congrats on a nice one!

Yeah usually the ones found on the coast here have a very thick hard crust. The first ones I found I thought would never clean up. Then one day I said to hell with it and put em in a hot peroxide bath for about 8 hours. The results were amazing. The crust had almost shielded the surface from corrosion and some were beautiful including a 66 and a 70. The LCs don't hold up nearly as well

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
The only IH I've ever found (so far) was glued to a piece of cheap costume jewelry in a Goodwill store. This was in the 70's.......I bought the piece for a dime. Nice find, bro.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Indian and breaking into the 1800s!! I was very lucky 4 plus years ago when I first started detecting. My first "Good" target with my Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery was a 1895 Indian, 10-12 days later on the same day I found a small Gold wedding band and a 1912s Barber dime. (1st Silver & Gold). I was hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!! and for Christmas that year I got my E-trac. It's been the best and most fun hobby I have ever had!

Here's hoping for many more in your future!!!!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Indian and breaking into the 1800s!! I was very lucky 4 plus years ago when I first started detecting. My first "Good" target with my Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery was a 1895 Indian, 10-12 days later on the same day I found a small Gold wedding band and a 1912s Barber dime. (1st Silver & Gold). I was hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!! and for Christmas that year I got my E-trac. It's been the best and most fun hobby I have ever had!

Here's hoping for many more in your future!!!!

Wow! You started off right didn't ya! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread