My first large caliber

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I know lots of guys have picked these up before but this is my first one. My total for the day is unimpressive. 1 penny, 1 dime, 2 pieces of metal (both look like copper) & this large caliber casing. I am not sure what else to call it because I don't think it is a bullet but just the casing of a bullet. Oh well.... I'll take it. Maybe tomorrow.... :o

Junknmoney0921091.jpg

Junk0921092.jpg

Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a 50 cal. I could be wrong. If it's about 5 inches long than yes.

Cool finds like always.

Found at one of the gulf side beaches?

Theres always something interesting to be found on a hunt.

JP

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the two other chunks look like bullet cases thrown in a fire

HH
-GC

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
If you can get enough .50 cal casings the are brass and over 1.00 a pound scrap. Keep em in the garage they are heavy and probably only takes 4 or 5 to make a pound. Usually when the Navy/Marine Corp shoots em they shoot a s**t load of em!!!!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Funny you should say that goldencoin because that is what my husband said too.

thorny196 - I save anything that could be sold later. Except I do not bring home the cans but if I find copper, brass etc.... I save it all. I will sell it when I get enough. LOL

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took 50 pounds of used brass casings to 2 different scrap yards. None of them would take them. They said that they couldn't guarantee that they had been fired. I told the guy I could because I had fired all of them. I even showed him that all had the used primers removed and everything. I ended up just giving them away to a friend that reloads.

I'm sure that there are places that will take them.

Lead is a different story. They gave me a complete $1 bill for 5 pounds of lead. I spent over $15 in gas to get to the places. I can see I really came out ahead. >:( It would have been cheaper to have just kept the lead and thrown the other stuff in the garbage. LIVE AND LEARN :tongue3:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow mumzie that is so funny you found one today. I found one today also and was thinking what the heck. How did it get out here. I will post mine with pics later. I just got back in and am exhausted.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ww2 airforce and navy planes -- beach strafing practice 1942 thru 1944 in florida and along the east coast bases too -- it was prep for the pacific beach landings* quite common to find 50 cal machine gun casings and lead from that --some times 30 cal also but not as comman. --- Ivan

recoiljunky

Jun 10, 2007
Dothan, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Excal II
jpotter said:
I took 50 pounds of used brass casings to 2 different scrap yards. None of them would take them. They said that they couldn't guarantee that they had been fired. I told the guy I could because I had fired all of them. I even showed him that all had the used primers removed and everything. I ended up just giving them away to a friend that reloads.

I'm sure that there are places that will take them.

Lead is a different story. They gave me a complete $1 bill for 5 pounds of lead. I spent over $15 in gas to get to the places. I can see I really came out ahead. >:( It would have been cheaper to have just kept the lead and thrown the other stuff in the garbage. LIVE AND LEARN :tongue3:

5 years ago, I was getting 5 gallon buckets of used lead wheel weights for free from tire stores. I was melting it down and casting my own bullets.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found these to be quite common in the Sarasota area. I have given away at least this many to old vets.
I also enjoy them because they are a part of American history.

Attachments

• WW2 .JPG
    WW2 .JPG
    49 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
OK here's a stupid question. I know what the ones on the right are and I know what the ones on the top left are but what are those things on the lower left. Round bottoms and a point? ??? ???

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The odd looking things are .50 cal bullets that sank base first (flat end) into the sand starting in 1942. Over the years, the sand, shells and other debris became encrusted into golf ball sizes thingys that you now see.
The clean and bright ones have spent a few hours in the rock tumbler.

HTH

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Lido Key is a good place to place to find fired .50 caliber brass. I once showed them to a German tourist who wanted to know why they were on the beach. During World War 2, the Army Air Corp placed life sized plywood targets in the shape of Nazi trucks and Panzer tanks. The barrier islands were deserted so the beaches were used as a firing range. P-47 Thunderbolts, P-51 Mustangs and F6F Navy Hellcats would fly down the beaches strafing the targets. The P-47 and P-51 had 8-.50 caliber guns that spewed out 4800 rounds a minute while the Hellcats had 6 guns which spit out 3600 rounds a minute. I imagine most of the brass had to have been salvaged otherwise the beaches would have been paved in .50 caliber brass.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the added info.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Very interesting. I love it when others come up and add to a post with additional information. It makes it so much more interesting to know why something is found where. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread