OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been detecting for long (at least since I was a kid). Only had my new machine for a few weeks.

Went to see my Dad on Father's Day, and enjoyed good company, and reminiscing. Remembered I had my F70 in the truck, and decided to get in a few minutes of swinging on my Dad's back yard. It was a farm field in PA in 1878 (according to the local Atlas for the time). Only spent about 20 minutes swinging. It's a pretty big property, so I started in the middle of the yard.

Absolutely loaded with square nails. (all in roughly the middle of the 2 acre back yard). Took a hard look at the yard, and noticed a difference in the area I was searching. It was a little lower depression than the rest of the yard. Sunken area... square nails.. 2+2 = old structure site. Decided I might be better off searching around the "structure" rather than in it. Moved 50 ft toward the house, casually swinging along the way. Caught the edge of a sweet high tone. Great signal.

Pretty shallow (3 to 4 inches) next to my Dad's shed I dug a US Large Cent. It's pretty toasted, but the back is good enough to make out the wreath, and "ONE CENT". Toasted or not, I was pretty thrilled. But I couldn't help but wonder how I could be so lucky as to dig a large cent in my Dad's back yard in such a short time of searching. This was supposed to have been an empty field.

So I went back to the maps. Sure enough, the 1878 Atlas shows a church about a block away from my Dad's house. But I found an earlier (1860) Atlas, and wouldn't you know it, the Church in 1860, was right smack in the middle of my Dad's back yard. And since the Atlas actually named the Church, I did a little more snooping. The earliest reference to the Church Structure in my Dad's yard was from 1820. And the local history says it was served by a circuit preacher on the same site even earlier than that.

So all in all, a pretty awesome Father's day. Got to see my Dad. Found a Large Cent in no time flat (first signal dug). And learned that my Dad's yard is gonna be an AWESOME hunting ground.

largie.jpg

Upvote 15

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lc! Crazy the signal they throw off, blows my ears out on my atpro

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you! We are blessed here in the northeast US with the potential to make finds such as yours. Hope it's the first of many. Sounds like your Dad's place is going to be interesting for you!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wouldn't it be great to pull some silver?! good luck this summer

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you! We are blessed here in the northeast US with the potential to make finds such as yours. Hope it's the first of many. Sounds like your Dad's place is going to be interesting for you!

Within a half mile, there are two 18th or Early 19th Century Sawmills, an 18th century Grist Mill, and an 18th Century Forge.

All in ruins.

All in the middle of woods.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't it be great to pull some silver?! good luck this summer

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I feel like its almost a sure thing.

Probably going back up this weekend.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Within a half mile, there are two 18th or Early 19th Century Sawmills, an 18th century Grist Mill, and an 18th Century Forge.

All in ruins.

Ok, I am off the next three days, what time shall I be there in the morning, lol!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lc! Crazy the signal they throw off, blows my ears out on my atpro

No doubt.

The f70 is a little chatty if you run with any sensitivity.. and as a result you get quite a few chirps and waggles..

But there was no mistaking that signal.

I knew it was a coin before I dug it.

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't wait to see what else you can pull out of there! -Tin Foil

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wonderful day all around! :notworthy: Your research is fascinating & will lead to many surprises! :notworthy: Have fun at your dad's! :cat: Andi

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Large Cents are always welcome finds - congrats! That one looks like it might be a good candidate for peroxide - maybe you will get a date from it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're in a great place with some nice potential. I love seeing people's firsts. Great job on the LC. I hope it's the first of many for you

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Large Cents are always welcome finds - congrats! That one looks like it might be a good candidate for peroxide - maybe you will get a date from it.
Yes some warm peroxide and you may be surprised at the detail that comes thru. Just be careful and keep an eye on it if you go that route

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find. I found 3 and an 1837 New York coin in a half hour at a local park. There weren't any settlements or activity there at the time but there has been a lot of fill dirt dumped there over the years from various locations. Hey, you never know what you'll find. Here is a link to my post on it. Also, be careful and keep the patina on it.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ew-york-market-center-accommodation-coin.html

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
your a good little detectorist

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, OWK! If I were you I would take Old Dude up on his invitation to join you. Although I would keep the house to myself I believe you could greatly benefit from his experience and knowledge. Take him with you out to the old mills and forge. It's always good to have a partner with you when you venture into the woods anyway.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

All in ruins.

My favorite places to hunt...those middle of the woods old places. Well almost my favorite, back yards rule !!!

Right now the ticks and other bugs are making it a little hard for me to get to some good spots in the woods.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like Dad's yard is going to keep you busy for awhile!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions