My first Large Cent?

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I was back in the woods and started to search a section of hillside that was covered in small chips of coal. I got an 82-83 signal on my ATP and unearthed what seems to be a 1824 Large Cent. I couldn't see any details until I soaked it and lightly used a toothpick to find the year. I'm very surprised to find this in the Pittsburgh city limits being so late to the hobby. I'll be going back later in the week to search more. Thanks for looking :headbang:

Screenshot_2017-05-14-19-36-25.png

Upvote 13

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! Large Cents are cool. Congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've only dug 2 (and I live in Vermont where there is 250 year old history), they aren't an every day find.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! Large Cents are cool. Congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've only dug 2 (and I live in Vermont where there is 250 year old history), they aren't an every day find.

Nothing better than finding something unexpected. How did you find both of yours? In a field, woods, or near old coal mines?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the LC recovery! :occasion14: They do not "pop" out of the ground everyday! :icon_thumleft:

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very good, you need to toothpick the crud off

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your First! :occasion14:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I don't understand why people say this about the city of pittsburgh. There is tons of old properties in the city......would be the dream of many detectorists IMO.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I see what you mean.....like late to the party?

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I see what you mean.....like late to the party?

Yeah I meant that I've only been doing this for a year. There are definitely good spots left in the city. I've been focusing on difficult areas to search, nothing dangerous.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like you found a good spot, congrats

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I've had a couple "close calls" with non large cents this year. Great job, some day I hope to capture this small piece of history.

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job on the large cent. I'm like you, only been doing this about a year. I've pulled 4 large cent pieces in the past 2 weeks. They are so awesome to find, cause you know that they're going to be old. I hope that many more of them jump under your coil. Good luck

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the large cent. I'm like you, only been doing this about a year. I've pulled 4 large cent pieces in the past 2 weeks. They are so awesome to find, cause you know that they're going to be old. I hope that many more of them jump under your coil. Good luck

I can't imagine finding 4 in 2 weeks, I have a hard time finding any goodies where I search haha that's awesome.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first large cent. Are you sure that's not 1828? I've never found a large cent in the city of Pittsburgh, but then I focus on the rural areas in the surrounding counties where I have found over 100 of them.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing better than finding something unexpected. How did you find both of yours? In a field, woods, or near old coal mines?

I found both of mine in old house yards. Early 1800's houses are the best places to find them.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first large cent. Are you sure that's not 1828? I've never found a large cent in the city of Pittsburgh, but then I focus on the rural areas in the surrounding counties where I have found over 100 of them.

It's in really rough shape which is why I used a filter in the pic I posted. I'm 99% sure it's a 1824 just by comparing the shape of the 8 to the 4 but that last digit is the toughest to read so maybe I'm wrong. I was in a wooded area near route 51 to give you a hint which side of the city I was on. The same wooded area I've pulled an 1883 IHC and that Cenol Fly Destroyer printing plate.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in really rough shape which is why I used a filter in the pic I posted. I'm 99% sure it's a 1824 just by comparing the shape of the 8 to the 4 but that last digit is the toughest to read so maybe I'm wrong. I was in a wooded area near route 51 to give you a hint which side of the city I was on. The same wooded area I've pulled an 1883 IHC and that Cenol Fly Destroyer printing plate.
I have heard that people have been hunting Seldom Seen. I went in there once and it was way too trashy.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that people have been hunting Seldom Seen. I went in there once and it was way too trashy.

Yeah some areas are more trashy than others. I've found more bullets and shotgun shells than trash at seldom seen. A lot of the area where buildings stood are overgrown. Good guess to where I've been haha I've also made my way around Mt Washington, I scored my walking liberty below bigbee field.

I'm going back today, I've been focusing on the hard to reach areas as long as I can swing I'll detect it. Luckily I haven't noticed any ticks so far, *knocks on wood*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread