My first Large Cent?

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I was back in the woods and started to search a section of hillside that was covered in small chips of coal. I got an 82-83 signal on my ATP and unearthed what seems to be a 1824 Large Cent. I couldn't see any details until I soaked it and lightly used a toothpick to find the year. I'm very surprised to find this in the Pittsburgh city limits being so late to the hobby. I'll be going back later in the week to search more. Thanks for looking :headbang:

Screenshot_2017-05-14-19-36-25.png

Upvote 13

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah some areas are more trashy than others. I've found more bullets and shotgun shells than trash at seldom seen. A lot of the area where buildings stood are overgrown. Good guess to where I've been haha I've also made my way around Mt Washington, I scored my walking liberty below bigbee field.

I'm going back today, I've been focusing on the hard to reach areas as long as I can swing I'll detect it. Luckily I haven't noticed any ticks so far, *knocks on wood*
Yeah its getting way too grown up to go into a place like that now, especially with the ticks the way they are. I might go back in there again in the winter or early spring. From what I was told I should have crossed the creek when I was there before.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find i actually found a ww2 hat pin here in A2 mi in the woods crazy you never know im sure you deserve it we all put the effort in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

WW2 hat pin is a sweet find for sure. The wooded areas are my favorite places to detect because most people don't want to go there and I don't have to worry about digging perfect plugs. The large cent I found wasn't hard to find off the beaten path but some days I don't find anything. I like knowing that what ever I find has a good chance to be really old. I'm trying to end my short silver drought asap.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah its getting way too grown up to go into a place like that now, especially with the ticks the way they are. I might go back in there again in the winter or early spring. From what I was told I should have crossed the creek when I was there before.

With all the mild winters that are becoming normal, tick season is year round these days. You could climb the wall up to the train tracks or follow the steep path up to the tracks to avoid crossing the creek especially if it's high. Further down the tracks after crossing one of the railroad bridges there's a path that goes right to the overgrown area.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live pretty close by, so I might check it out again sometime. I went back as far as where the trail peters out into a little path.

Attachments

• Seldom Seen.jpg
    Seldom Seen.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1907 james town exposition coin i love the woods very peaceful not tons of people aroud look for old maple trees and check the bases of tress hope you find a rich mans coin spill lol

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live pretty close by, so I might check it out again sometime. I went back as far as where the trail peters out into a little path.

Yep, in the background of that picture, I sometimes climb up to the tracks or take the path up immediately to the left after you walk under the bridge. I wear hiking shoes so I usually dont cross the water.

Have you tried the woods where I placed the red marker? I've been working that area a lot but there's a lot of ground to cover.

Screenshot_2017-05-16-15-44-22.png

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i found a 1907 james town exposition coin i love the woods very peaceful not tons of people aroud look for old maple trees and check the bases of tress hope you find a rich mans coin spill lol

haha I agree, anything old is a cool find in my opinion. Maybe one of us will get extremely lucky and find an old drunk rich man's spill.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, in the background of that picture, I sometimes climb up to the tracks or take the path up immediately to the left after you walk under the bridge. I wear hiking shoes so I usually dont cross the water.

Have you tried the woods where I placed the red marker? I've been working that area a lot but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View attachment 1451872
Nope, I only spent about an hour back in there. It was a hot day last summer and I was sweating like a pig. I hit the high ground to the left of the trail and along the tracks, not far past the arch. I haven't explored back in there at all really. But from your picture, there looks like a lot of ground to cover.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not my neck of the woods, but just did a quick 1939 aerial overlay on Google Earth and it looks like there was once a neighborhood just south of where you are searching. Now all park of a public park. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494966559.946469.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494966575.759567.jpg
You may already be hitting these old homesites, but if not, good hunting!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, I only spent about an hour back in there. It was a hot day last summer and I was sweating like a pig. I hit the high ground to the left of the trail and along the tracks, not far past the arch. I haven't explored back in there at all really. But from your picture, there looks like a lot of ground to cover.

I put close to 2 hours in today and found another Large Cent, it seems to be 1831 but I'm not 100% sure yet. Better condition than the last and I'm soaking it at the moment. I might have stumbled on a short cut from the 1800's. I'll post a picture later on this thread.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know how you didn't run into me and Jeremy back there last summer. We spent almost every day last year diggin bottles back there. We may or may not have had anything to do with the entire hillsides along the creek collapsing [emoji13]

Definitely right about crossing the creek. That's where most of the old houses from the 1850s were

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread