My First Live Hotchkiss Artillery Shell

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can check this relic off my bucket list now. This is a Hotchkiss 2 1/2" diameter shell

Tony, Gerry and myself were at a new site on Saturday. Well it is not a new site as in never been hunter, but new for us. I had gone out a few weekends ago to scout it out and found several fired bullets, four to be exact and all I did was walk in a straight line, for one hour.

Ok so back to yesterday, we got to the field around 7:45 am, and got busy.

About any hour into the hunt we all had a few relics, but nothing to right home about. So I head to the top of a ridge, that looked trashy and it was, but nothing to bad, just a lot of digging.

So my Fisher screams at me with a 78 solid signal but it was a high Iron reading, And it was 14+ inches so I figure it has to be something old. And it was right under a large root. After about 30 minutes of digging, probing and digging and probing I start to see the base of the shell. Now I was not sure what it was, as I have dug axles before, so out of the ground this bad boy popped.

I have to say I was a bit intimidated holding an unexploded shell in my hands, so I ran down the hill figuring if I was going to go it was going to be a skip in my step and amile on my face.

So this is my best for the year.

Attachments

• 20131208_155934.jpg
    20131208_155934.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20131208_160047.jpg
    20131208_160047.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 215
  • 20131208_160126.jpg
    20131208_160126.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20131208_160144.jpg
    20131208_160144.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 14

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd walk backward barefoot on broken glass to my truck just to find one of those puppies...... Congrats

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let anybody in the government know about it, they could pay a visit! They take themselves way too seriously. 40 years ago, my friends and I found some relics from a crashed WWII bomber in Maryland. From memory, I think they were the innards of old batteries, but the police of that day came and disposed of them. I don't know how they did it, was too young.

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Smokey even if the Govt new, they would be hard pressed to get it from me. I don't roll over that easy LOL But seriously.

John

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Smokey even if the Govt new, they would be hard pressed to get it from me. I don't roll over that easy LOL But seriously.

John

genlee.... Amen!!!!! Your not the only one who feels that way. And I got a good feeling @ 90% + that were not alone either. I'd go stiff instantly if Govt. showed up and wanted anything from me that I wanted, found, bought or inherited. No "rolling over" here either.... Brad

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I am sure there are more out there who feel the same. I however feel that if I found it in the ground, it is mine that is of course with the permission of the land owner as I like to share with them.

John

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really doubt anybody in the gov't has any interest in us "little people". You always have to watch out for a do-gooder, though. The only cannon balls I have found have been Rev War solid shots. Nothing Civil War.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really doubt anybody in the gov't has any interest in us "little people". You always have to watch out for a do-gooder, though. The only cannon balls I have found have been Rev War solid shots. Nothing Civil War.
Not unless your large diameter peashooter has a rifled barrel.
Smoothbore originals or repros are ignored. Dixie gun works repros VS
Little John's originals

Depending on your piece,
Some "G men" take notice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread