My First Military Button Today

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm closing in on 50 late 1600's through early 1800's buttons and have previously found a beautiful GW Inaugural, but today I was excited to find my first military button (looks like a Scoville). The London gold colour was about three feet away in the same same strata. I'm wondering if the button is a match to the 1830's Shako Plume holder I found not too far away last year. The second photo shows the squashed plume holder I found detecting next to a museum-quality piece I purchased afterwards. Ironically that is an Artillery Shako Plume holder like the A on the button. Also found a bunch of other stuff I will be posting later.

tres217.jpg tres187.jpg

Upvote 21

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good one

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing like finding a real nice one piece for the first one. Congrats!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Finally cleaned the back up with a pencil eraser. Wondering if it predates 1850 and more towards the 1830's as they started making this design in 1831. Would then definitely match the shako plume holder. I'm hoping this soldier hit the bottle once in a awhile and he left me more stuff to find.

tres221.jpg tres222.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice congratulations thanks for sharing try to get back

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your 2 piece Artillery button dates to the 1860s and was issued to officers. In 1854 the enlisted mans buttons were changed to a shield without a letter in it. Officer buttons continued to have the letter in the shield. If I read your backmark correctly it says ". Scovill Mf'g Co./ Waterbury ." and is a depressed mark between two rings of dots. That dates to the 1860s. Now, if there is a comma after the Co and before the period, and the lettering is small then it would date to 1860.
Either way it is a good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions