Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to do something special for my thousandth post (this time around) and share the first point I found that got me hooked and also post my best point as well.
About 15 years ago, and after coin hunting for 15 years prior, I made the transition to relic hunting and started to search cultivated fields.
One such field I was driving by on a rainy day and saw someone there walking back and forth.
After watching for a minute it became obvious he was looking for prehistoric artifacts and I went out to greet him with much curiosity.
After telling him I have been detecting the field for a year but did not know what to look for when it came to stone artifacts.
He was guarded about his skill but after seeing my excitement and interest, he pointed to flakings and core pieces which were mostly white Selkirk chert.
He also told me about Knife River flint but I ended up only finding brown beer bottle glass.
After splitting up for 15 minutes, I came back with a big bag full of core pieces, flakings and a few broken scrapers.
He said that I was getting the hang of spotting the right materials even though I was probably picking up his rejects!
Then not long after I spotted this......

P1150842.JPG

He congratulated me on my first arrow point and even though it wasn't older than a thousand years and had been reworked, a small point like that was used to take down bison as only something small could penetrate their tough hides.
I was hooked from there on in!
It would be my only point for that year as I spent most of my time detecting (among several hobbies) but I did add another few hundred pounds of core pieces, flakings, etc. like every newbie who picks up everything. Lol.
The next year I would find two points and then several every year thereafter.
Even though my first point isn't the nicest in my collection, it still gets to be stored in this case.....

P1150838.JPG

Now onto my best point! After sitting in a box for so long, I promised her a full photo shoot! Lots of pictures to come and then the story at the end to give you all a break from the last one.
This find came about a mile up river from my first point, which was along the Red River, between Winnipeg and Selkirk, Manitoba.
It is made out of the highly prized Knife River flint, which originated not far to the S.W. out in Larson Land, Mandan country, North Dakota.
Although KRF is quite common out here, the style of this point is not and even though the experts just simply say "Plains side-notched," it is unlike any that could be attributed to this area.

Here it is......

P1150813.JPG

Some fluting added which is different than most Plains side-notched from here.

P1150811.JPG

Reverse.....

P1150816.JPG

P1150819.JPG

Back to the "spotted" side....

P1150822.JPG

Some magic happening with this point as the blue glass ball hanging from my windowsill somehow reflected onto it!
Then when I put here in this bowl of rocks, rainbows appeared....

P1150828.JPG

I assure you that no photoshop was preformed here with these pictures from my difficult, ancient camera!

P1150834.JPG

Better stop before I post a million pictures. Well, I promised her a good showing after sitting so long in that box!

I owe this find all to a snowboard! I was in an area known as St. Andrews rapids during the spring time when the water levels started to diminish after the spring run-off.
The shore line was full of giant limestone boulders and I didn't see a whole lot other than a few pieces of Blackduck pottery which is everywhere out here.
I spotted a snowboard near a big boulder that must have floated down the river and I planned to get it on the way back.
There wasn't much to see around there and I kept walking further up to a little site I have found stuff at before.
Things weren't looking good on the way there and when I got to the site, nothing but muck! That's the thing about the Red River.
It maybe years before that gravel bed is exposed from the muck again. I headed back with little to show for and remembered to check out the snowboard when I got there.
It had a crack which is why someone threw it in the river, so even that was a bust!
Glanced down at the base of the huge boulder by the snowboard and saw that unmistakable "brown glass" wedged in between the big rocks.
When I picked her up I was baffled that it was whole as it should have been broken among rocks. I still couldn't believe it and hopped up on a boulder and sat there staring at it for awhile.
I was still a smoker back then and broke a smoke open and offered tobacco on the very spot It was found uttering "Meegwetch" to the Great Spirit.
I haven't anything found there again and unfortunately can't get down there anymore because of a bunch of new yuppie houses blocking my access which is all too common nowadays.
Thanks for looking at my post! My best point is probably nothing to those who post museum piece after piece but it means a lot to me to show it to others and owe it to the one who made this so long ago.
It's creation and story is still a mystery.
Happy hunting!
Dave.

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer points,thanks for sharing.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent 1000th post. I love the little side notchers and that one is killer. Points like that keep your spirits up.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post!

FYI there is nothing magic about the rainbow in the glass bowl. Light is being refracted by the point through the edge of the glass bowl (which it's resting against) and then bent and projected similar to a prisim. Still a cool photo though, and a very nice piece.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful piece. Thanks for showing it off.

Both pieces I mean !

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

Both those points are beauties and thanks for sharing the stories with us.

Regards + HH

Bill

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superbad, both of 'em! Amazing how points get among the big rocks and amazing how they survive getting there.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loved your post! I really enjoy reading the story behind them :)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice colors

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful point! It has an Avonlea look to me. Really nice find!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very fine 1st point and once you are hooked you are hooked for life and then you start to spread out more has you find more. Great find and a very good post:occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome points
Congrats

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Points and an awesome story. This is the type of posts we should see on here. Great artifacts and the story behind them. That Knife River Point is just spectacular.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread