My First Post, My first Colonial Coins

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
Hello All,

I've been reading your great post for a couple of years and figured it was time to share some of my own finds. I've been MDing for a few years. I hunt primarily for Civil War relics but never pass up th chance to hunt any old site. Recently I hunted two sites owned by family members. The first site is a farm that's been in my family since my great-great grandfather bought it in the late 1800-early 1900's. My large extended family met there for Sunday afternoon picnics every week when I was growing up so I knew there had to be something good. There was. Over the course of six hours I found several great relics(a complete harmonica reed, silver plated brass spoon bowl, brass fork with a little silver plating etc-sorry no pics of these), 10 wheat back pennies(earliest is 1910), and a few clad coins, but the best find by far was the Matron head large cent( no date) that I found at 10" under the old pine tree I played on as a kid.

The second site is the large field behind my grandmother's farm. Two colonial coppers had already been found on the site(not by me) so I had high hopes, but I never expected my first coin to be a Spanish 2 reale cob. I literally ran to my grandmother's house so I could show someone. What a thrill. About an hour later and several dozen pieces of tin I finally found my colonial copper- a George II halfpenny (unfortunately no date). That really made my day. That would be all for me for the day, however my brother found a Hibernia halfpenny (his second) and an 1808 Large cent. Not a bad day for us.

I'll be hunting there this weekend. Hopefully I'll have something good to post next week. Sorry about the picture quality. I'm still figuring this out.

Attachments

• coins 001.jpg
    coins 001.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Incredible finds as is your hunting sites. And welcome to T-Net, we'll be waiting for you to post more of your increasable finds.

HH

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Sounds like a dream location! Is it trashy?

Congratulations on the relics and super old coins!

Oh yeah. Welcome to the forum!

Ridley

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Welcome to Tnet and that is a nice find. Great place to post, get information, and build friendships. Great location you are in to hunt, great history.
HH Roy

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Great post and finds!

Welcome to T-Net and I wish you luck on your future hunts.

Lonnie

OP
OP
D

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks for all the kind replies. I'm looking forward to being a part of the Tnet forum family.

I forgot to mention the cob is from 1790. I'll try to post a better pic of it soon.

Ridley-site #1 isn't too bad-the usual farm stuff. Site #2 has a lot of pieces of tin in it. My grandfather used tin pie plates to scare off the birds from his crops and over the years they've been chopped up and plowed under. I probably dug 30+ pieces of tin that day. Unfortunately they sound the same as the coppers on my machine.

Thanks again. HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMDer said:
Thanks for all the kind replies. I'm looking forward to being a part of the Tnet forum family.

I forgot to mention the cob is from 1790. I'll try to post a better pic of it soon.

Ridley-site #1 isn't too bad-the usual farm stuff. Site #2 has a lot of pieces of tin in it. My grandfather used tin pie plates to scare off the birds from his crops and over the years they've been chopped up and plowed under. I probably dug 30+ pieces of tin that day. Unfortunately they sound the same as the coppers on my machine.

Thanks again. HH

Welcome to tnet from the UK. Great finds, get in there and clear ALL the rubbish. Keep the disc as low as poss, it will be worth it in the end. :)

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
Great finds! I have yet to find a Reale :-\ Thats cool its family property I guess you can go anytime!
Welcome to T-Net! ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds from a great site. Welcome to tnet and keep up the good work.

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and congrats on those fabulous finds!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice finds, and welcome ;D looking forward to seeing more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread