Barbers, Injun, Victorian Cameo Brooch....A Great Day!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I spent a whole day with my hunting buds at an old park (circa 1870's) yesterday to see if there was any of that old ground still within reach of our detectors. We ended up going back to a spot that had produced last week for a couple of my buddies. It was the first time at this park for me...I'm not a big fan of hunting parks with known gang activity, plus hearing stories of my buddies past experiences there, but I went this time, and had no problems at all. Anyway, about 45 minutes of arriving, I got a weak high tone signal that I started to dig...I was thinking wheatie. Sure enough, my first extraction from the hole was two wheaties ('17, '20) fused together. I rechecked the hole, and there was still more. After removing one more wheatie from the hole, I then saw a small disk hiding underneath my last wheatie. I removed it and when I saw the reverse of the coin, I knew it had to be a barber or a seated. The coin was worn, in addition to the obverse being defaced by the wheatie all these years. It turned out to be an 1892O Barber dime. Woo Hoo!!! I struck Wilver!! :o Within minutes, I found two more mercs ('35, '41). Since 11 Indian Heads had been dug up in this area last week by my buddies, I was hoping that they left one for me...I finally got a signal next to iron that sounded zinc'y and was deep. Sure enough, I got my Injun...an 1888. I could hardly detect around this area without swinging over previous plugs that were dug over the past two hunts there. I was hoping to hear another deep signal, and sure enough, right next to a couple plugs, I heard a very faint high tone....at about 7.5", I finally heard the sound of a coin with my probe in the bottom of the hole....when I saw the wilver, I knew it was old....a nice 1911S Barber dime....Yes!!! I then moved back to the area that produced my first barber, and recieved a very good high tone at about 4.5". I was thinking quarter, but was very surprised to dig up what looks to be an old Victorian cameo brooch, which is wrapped in a wilver bezel. I was very excited about this find!! :o My very first find of this type....I've been staring at this find the most since my trip to that old park yesterday. It was a lot of fun. I think I'll be going back soon.

The other wilver was found over the weekend and on Monday at various other well hunted parks that I've pounded in the past. Lots and lots of wheaties too... ;)

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2010 (900 x 675).jpg
    IMG_2010 (900 x 675).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_2011 (1536 x 1152) (840 x 802).jpg
    IMG_2011 (1536 x 1152) (840 x 802).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 661
Upvote 0

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Re: Wilver, Wheats, Victorian Cameo Brooch....A Great Day!!

what a fun day we had, dan. i think that park we passed on the way home (it begins with an "H") should be our next place to go.that cameo thing cleaned up really nice!

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Awesome finds Captain. I agree it is hard to take your eyes off of that cameo. She is a beauty. Go back and dig the heel out of that place.
H Roy

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

What a hunt!

Congratulations on the Barber and the rest of the wilver! The IH and the broach just complete the whole collection!

Those Indian heads sound a bit lower in tone. They're not exactly easy to find either. Especially in a public park!

Nice going, Captn!

Ridley

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Looks like a great spot to hunt!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Dan, what else should I say? Bud, you are a metal detecting icon! I have never seen you get skunked one time on a park hunt...wilver can't hide from the Captn! :D

I bet those Barbers were sweet to see in the hole...hmmmm...maybe next time you go to that park, bring DFX-Gregg along...he is a cop. :D

Keep the fever high, man! :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds as usual.

I would be careful about assuming that the brooch is Victorian (could be), but seen similar 20th century types. Still a really nice piece what ever age 8)

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Dan. That brooch looks nice. I love finding indians because of the weird tone and the bouncing ID they give. It makes it fun and almost as certain as a silver hit.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That Cameo is very cool. I've seen a couple others posted over the years but I haven't found one yet.

Barber's are great too - especially when they look like your 1911. :)

I know what you mean about hunting in the "hood". Danimal and I hunt one site that is totally a black area. It is very close to a very high crime area. Fortunately it's not in the real bad part of town. Sometimes those are the only places that have not been cleaned out.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow! CAPTN, that was a great day, WTG!!!
Very nice group of finds, and I love the old cameo...
Good luck next time out, & Happy hunting~

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
Pretty soon you'll have Calif depleted of ALL of its silver! :D Congrats on a fabulous hunt. That silver cameo is a beauty.
When you mentioned about it not being safe to hunt in some parks, it reminded me of the movie "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas trying to just get home, and being harassed by gangs. ;D
-MM-

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again Captn proves why he's #1. Way to go Captn! ;D Love those barbers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread