Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least you can tell what yours is. I think I may have just gotten the same thing bent into a love token but its a smoothie. LOVE that decorative plate. Merry Christmas. :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the countermark silver and other really nice looking finds. Liking the key also, nothing wrong with digging those Xmas finds.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds. Everyone on here makes my finds look like garbage. Most of my finds come out unrecognizable.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you can tell what yours is. I think I may have just gotten the same thing bent into a love token but its a smoothie. LOVE that decorative plate. Merry Christmas. :occasion14:

The sucker disappeared on me, and turned out was stuck to the dirt on my shovel, and this is what I seen. I knew it was silver, and could tell it was likely worn... but I was fairly sure it would be old. I haven't dug an early silver all year so took the pic, and even sent a text before I looked to see what it was, just to enjoy it for a minute.

Attachments

• g6aaaa.jpg
    g6aaaa.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 170

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh that's real sweet IP. Merry Christmas to you! An old British silver like a W3 is high on my list. Congrats

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that's real sweet IP. Merry Christmas to you! An old British silver like a W3 is high on my list. Congrats

Yes, and same to you. :) I think it may have been you I quoted a post and replied to, about old British silver. What I said is if you dig a pre bullhead one the chances are much greater it will very early compared to just breaking into the 1700s... and of course that is what happened here.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Ole Santa musta had you on the nice list!

I'm guessing you were up the river today, and had a great day by the looks of things!

The coins are top shelf (and you got your wish) plus I like the key too!

Abe's got his work cut out for him now!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ole Santa musta had you on the nice list!

I'm guessing you were up the river today, and had a great day by the looks of things!

The coins are top shelf (and you got your wish) plus I like the key too!

Abe's got his work cut out for him now!

Yeah Abe has less than a week. :) But we already called it to go double or nothing. This was double or nothing with the Patriot so he has something to beat now on Sunday.

Yeah I was all over the place up the river grabbing a little bit here, and a little there, but I did pull off the old one finally. Too bad it's not better, but this beggar shouldn't be a chooser, especially this late in the game.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah Abe has less than a week. :) But we already called it to go double or nothing. This was double or nothing with the Patriot so he has something to beat now on Sunday.

Yeah I was all over the place up the river grabbing a little bit here, and a little there, but I did pull off the old one finally. Too bad it's not better, but this beggar shouldn't be a chooser, especially this late in the game.

Patriot is going to give it a try on Sunday? He'll be better off with a snow shovel by the looks of things!

I guess you could try for a better one tomorrow!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patriot is going to give it a try on Sunday? He'll be better off with a snow shovel by the looks of things!

I guess you could try for a better one tomorrow!

He'll be down $4 if he doesn't! :happysmiley:

I will be giving it one last shot, simply because I know it is the last shot.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice! I've always wondered why hardly any British colonial period silver ever shows up? We see lots of Spanish silver. From what I've read it seems the British shillings were fairly popular in the colonies but you just about never see any dug ??

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I've always wondered why hardly any British colonial period silver ever shows up? We see lots of Spanish silver. From what I've read it seems the British shillings were fairly popular in the colonies but you just about never see any dug ??
The 1787 George III Shilling is a tough one to dig, just ask Crusader about that one! And I think more Charles or William show up than George II, so clearly it's not easy either.... which means any 1700s English silver is just plain tough to find. As I said this is my first pre 1800s British and I have been hunting old sites since 1999.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice IP! Pre-1800 British silver is very difficult to find, especially since England banned the export of silver coinage to the colonies for most of the colonial period. I only have 1 silver from this period, aside from the earlier hammered coins and one pewter counterfeit, and it was also a W3 shilling (1697). That was definitely a nice Christmas gift.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice IP! Pre-1800 British silver is very difficult to find, especially since England banned the export of silver coinage to the colonies for most of the colonial period. I only have 1 silver from this period, aside from the earlier hammered coins and one pewter counterfeit, and it was also a W3 shilling (1697). That was definitely a nice Christmas gift.

I can only think of one more dug here, was by a friend we call the Cladman and was many years ago. It too was well worn... said it was Charles II. I do like the coin for the reasons you mentioned, it's just a tough one to get.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I always knew it was rare to dig 1700's British Silver, but it's nice to hear HOW rare. I've dug 3-4 dozen British coppers without a hint of British silver.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice digs, including the early & hard to find British Silver. :thumbsup:
Maybe something else good will turn up tomorrow, and if not that's still a good way to end the season.
Persistence pays.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice digs, including the early & hard to find British Silver. :thumbsup:
Maybe something else good will turn up tomorrow, and if not that's still a good way to end the season.
Persistence pays.

Yeah I figure I'm into the extra time now, so anything is a bonus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread