SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 'real' find with my trusty analog machine

3 cheers for analog detectors (again). I found my first 'real' find today after 17+ years out of treasure hunting. Good old Coinmaster 5500/D strikes again! A teardrop shaped ruby surrounded by 12 diamond chips set in either sterling or white gold. The picture doesn't do it justice. My digicam can't do extreme close ups.

The beauty of these old machines is the 'analog sweet spot' on the discrimination fine tuner. I set the discrim control at about 7.5 and knock out the 'modern' pop tops and can still find stuff like this.

Attachments

• ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My first 'real' find with my trusty analog machine

Welcome to T-Net. As long as your machine does it's job, that's all you'll ever need. Nice Bling Bling...Congrats and HH

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250

Looks like a nice ring :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

back2thehunt said:
3 cheers for analog detectors (again). I found my first 'real' find today after 17+ years out of treasure hunting. Good old Coinmaster 5500/D strikes again! A teardrop shaped ruby surrounded by 12 diamond chips set in either sterling or white gold. The picture doesn't do it justice. My digicam can't do extreme close ups.

The beauty of these old machines is the 'analog sweet spot' on the discrimination fine tuner. I set the discrim control at about 7.5 and knock out the 'modern' pop tops and can still find stuff like this.
Yeah, once you've paid your dues with an analog machine it's difficult to get used to the higher tech. I started with a White's 6/DB with just a signal intensity meter. Dig or die! And now I'm having thoughts on finding a Teknetics Mark I Ltd so I can tell the difference between a cent and a dime on the meter and with the tone, something my present BH Land Star can't do.

About your photo. I'm surprised your digicam can't do extreme closeups. Are you sure there isn't a macro setting? If there isn't, it still has a minimum focusing distance. You should experiment as follows. Put the camera's lens at its wide angle and put it on a table with a yardstick right in front of the lens with the 1" end almost touching the lens and place the ring at the 12" marking and take a picture. Move the ring to the 16", 24", 30", and 36" taking pictures every time you move the ring. Look at the pictures. One of the pictures should show the ring and the yardstick inch indication in focus. Of course, study the other photos. But the sharp one will be your indication for future photos. You can also do a similar experiment with the zoom at the max and see what develops. If you have a crop feature you can make small objects appear larger. I hope this helps. Let's see a better photo of what must be a beautiful ring. Give it a try and post the photo(s).

Silver Fox

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You folks are the best! Thanks for the replies and the tips on camera use. Sure enough, I had a macro setting. Sheesh. Here I am, a digital boy who uses analog detectors and doesn't know his camera. Here's a better shot of the little ring.

Attachments

• ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 332

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro

Much better pic. That ring deserves a good pic, very nice. I had a digital camera without macro, but it would still focus down to 1.5 ft. You could take a pic at that distance , then enlarge it with photo software. Not perfect but pretty good.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beautiful ring. You have to be proud of that one :icon_sunny:

Derek752

Bronze Member