My first returnable find! A doorknob from 1880....

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this doorknob around 7 inches down, under a 3 inch thick pinetree root....

This was found in the Boyd Park in San Rafael... As I was rinsing it off in the water, I looked at the front of the park where the GateHouse is, and wondered if the doorknob come from this house. The first door I looked at had a plain doorknob, then walked around the house, and the rest of the doors all had matching doorknobs to the one I found!!!

This house was build in 1880, and then given to the city in 1905 (as part of the park). It is now home to the Historical Society of Marin county. I gave the doorknob to one of the workers and she thought it was too cool that I would do that. Hopefully they will clean it and put it back on the door!!! I also left my card so that the powers that be, (of the museum and parks department) would know about me and help give me more leads on old areas to check!!

Anyway, first two pictures are the doorknob that I dug up, then a shot of the house, and a shot of the doorknob on the front door, then one of the matching door bell....

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• dk1.jpg
    dk1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 674
  • dk2.jpg
    dk2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 675
  • dk3.jpg
    dk3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 659
  • dk4.jpg
    dk4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 672
  • dk5.jpg
    dk5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 659
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFHunter

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks All,

It appears to have been broken off as the shaft inside the know is sheared, but there is a set screw on it, so the knob itself is in good working order. I bet that someone tried to break in, and then dropped the knob while running up the hill. It was about 300 feet from the house.

As for Presido, I am under the assumption that it is federal property still (as is the case with most of the coastline near San Francisco. Even the beaches are all off limits....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread