My first returnable find! A doorknob from 1880....

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this doorknob around 7 inches down, under a 3 inch thick pinetree root....

This was found in the Boyd Park in San Rafael... As I was rinsing it off in the water, I looked at the front of the park where the GateHouse is, and wondered if the doorknob come from this house. The first door I looked at had a plain doorknob, then walked around the house, and the rest of the doors all had matching doorknobs to the one I found!!!

This house was build in 1880, and then given to the city in 1905 (as part of the park). It is now home to the Historical Society of Marin county. I gave the doorknob to one of the workers and she thought it was too cool that I would do that. Hopefully they will clean it and put it back on the door!!! I also left my card so that the powers that be, (of the museum and parks department) would know about me and help give me more leads on old areas to check!!

Anyway, first two pictures are the doorknob that I dug up, then a shot of the house, and a shot of the doorknob on the front door, then one of the matching door bell....

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• dk1.jpg
    dk1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 674
  • dk2.jpg
    dk2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 675
  • dk3.jpg
    dk3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 659
  • dk4.jpg
    dk4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 672
  • dk5.jpg
    dk5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 659
Upvote 0

Ben_banned

Jan 20, 2007
Wow thats pretty cool,
You definately did the right thing and if your lucky youll get rewarded for it.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great find, congrats. Good move giving it back to where it belongs, only good can come from that. With any luck you'll be given permission to hunt any where you want on the property. Good luck.

kenb

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow!! Way to go....I love the door knob! So nice to see it in use too! What a gorgeous house/museum!

HH,
Moon

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Nice find! What I dont understand is how you are going to get into this house ??? LOL

If you cant even touch the door knob, I would hate to see what you cant touch inside.

DO NOT FLUSH!!! :o :o :o :-\ :-\

index.php

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
Neat story, Good to hear it. I would have did the same

Jim

OP
OP
SFHunter

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL! Hey Storm, that actually is the door bell, it broken and they have added a doorbell on the door....

Thanks!!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
A very thoughtful act indeed!

Hopefully it will open many doors for you!

Keep us posted....

Ridley

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a neat find and gesture. Thanks for the pictures. Good way to get your foot in the door too.
-MM-

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
SFHunter said:
LOL! Hey Storm, that actually is the door bell, it broken and they have added a doorbell on the door....

Thanks!!!

Thats the door bell? Do you thinks its big enough. Everyone must have been deaf and blind back then HEHEHEHEHEHE ::) ;D ;D ;D

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't you see the sign that said, "Do not touch?"

You just had to dig that knob that everyone kept touching. That's why they burried it.

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a long time ago somebody broke one of the door knobs off? and they threw it in the field? I wonder how the door knob got to where you found it?

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful doorknob! That must have been exciting to find where it belonged. WTG!

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Wow, what a cool find. Hope the gesture opens a few doors for you. Hey, do they still let you guys hunt the Presidio. I hunted in that area back in the late 80s once, but many old timers did it often and found plenty. I heard somewhere that they don't allow it anymore. Just curious.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
One very cool find and totally the right thing returning it. People like you give metal detectors a good name and things like that are what gets us permission to keep hunting.
KUDOS to you!

~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread