My first ring! Possibly a colonial silver wedding band???

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first ring! Possibly a colonial silver wedding band??? UPDATED PICS

DSC00239.JPG DSC00230.JPG DSC00240.JPG DSC00232.JPG DSC00238.JPG DSC00229.JPG Hi there, I've been trying to work my hayfield before 3rd cutting gets thick, and the last two nights have been good, a large cent yesterday and today a ring! I'm just hoping someone can give me some help I think it's silver? And I think it's old. It seems to have no markings and a clean cut through it at the bottom I would assume. The outside of the cut has been smoothed out but the inside is visible. It.came out with black tarnish over most of it except on the outer edges closest to the skin. Could the ring have been plated silver? Some of the black seems to cling in patches. The edges with the least tarnish also seem the shiniest as though it is plated or has some sort of finish that is missing through the middle of the band. So far I have found 7 flat buttons, 2 large cents, an 1860's pat. Buckle at this property, is it possible this is my first old silver from here? I'd love any info or help on this :) *I hope the updated pics are better than the originals...i'm at the new camera learning stage so sorry if they aren't the best. The square mark at this point cannot be read by me, so i'm not sure if i should keep cleaning till i can identify it, or leave it as is. I was trying to show size of the ring with the quarter, but it sort of made it look bigger than it is lol

Last edited:
Upvote 13

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me that if it were silver, you'd be able to clean it up and get all of the black off....or at least more than what did come off it. It could very well be plated. I'd try and clean the inside a bit more using electrolosis and baking soda

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome seems like your doing very well. I agree that if it was silver it should clean up pretty easy What VDI id it ring up as on the AT PRO I know a lot of the old jewelery wasn't marked are there pits in the ring its hard to see from pics

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience, really old silver especially from farm fields usually has a very stubborn black tarnish on it. So it could be old and solid. Better pics would help too

OP
OP
D

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, I am trying to clean it more, seems slow going at the moment. With a magnifier I can see a small black square mark of some sort under the black crud. It rang up at 74-75 @ about 5 inches down. I have noticed my copper cents are corroded pretty bad, I think the fertilizer from the corn is taking a toll on the goodies :(

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the find! Take it to your local jeweler and get their opinion. :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't clean it, post some better pics of what you have, including any bench marks. I repeat don't clean it!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, I am trying to clean it more, seems slow going at the moment. With a magnifier I can see a small black square mark of some sort under the black crud. It rang up at 74-75 @ about 5 inches down. I have noticed my copper cents are corroded pretty bad, I think the fertilizer from the corn is taking a toll on the goodies :(

Yes fertilizer will do that.

Could be silver gilt, the style is the same as the copper gilt versions of the late 19th C.

OP
OP
D

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it might not be a favorite move but I decided to keep at it and after a few more rounds of the foil, baking soda and hot water method I have noticed the black is coming off almost enough to see the square mark in the ring. There is also something round looking, looks like an imperfection of something that could be a mark but I'm not sure yet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get enough junk of to see the letters in the square completely!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring!!! Congrats and HH

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pic's Congrats
icon_thumright.gif

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks old to me, and like silver.

I don't know about "colonial" though. Colonial is specifically a designation for something from the period before the colonies became America. That term gets thrown around a lot for anything old.

Two out of three ain't bad!

OP
OP
D

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure it would be colonial, but have reason to believe it is possible. If not it might be late 1700's nonetheless. It would likely depend on knowledge I can't attain. I have found early 1800's large cents and late 1700's flat buttons here so who knows :) Could also be 100 years later than that. I'm curious about that mark and whether I can figure out the maker, that would a really make this find awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread