My first ring! Possibly a colonial silver wedding band???

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first ring! Possibly a colonial silver wedding band??? UPDATED PICS

DSC00239.JPG DSC00230.JPG DSC00240.JPG DSC00232.JPG DSC00238.JPG DSC00229.JPG Hi there, I've been trying to work my hayfield before 3rd cutting gets thick, and the last two nights have been good, a large cent yesterday and today a ring! I'm just hoping someone can give me some help I think it's silver? And I think it's old. It seems to have no markings and a clean cut through it at the bottom I would assume. The outside of the cut has been smoothed out but the inside is visible. It.came out with black tarnish over most of it except on the outer edges closest to the skin. Could the ring have been plated silver? Some of the black seems to cling in patches. The edges with the least tarnish also seem the shiniest as though it is plated or has some sort of finish that is missing through the middle of the band. So far I have found 7 flat buttons, 2 large cents, an 1860's pat. Buckle at this property, is it possible this is my first old silver from here? I'd love any info or help on this :) *I hope the updated pics are better than the originals...i'm at the new camera learning stage so sorry if they aren't the best. The square mark at this point cannot be read by me, so i'm not sure if i should keep cleaning till i can identify it, or leave it as is. I was trying to show size of the ring with the quarter, but it sort of made it look bigger than it is lol

Last edited:
Upvote 13

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure it would be colonial, but have reason to believe it is possible. If not it might be late 1700's nonetheless. It would likely depend on knowledge I can't attain. I have found early 1800's large cents and late 1700's flat buttons here so who knows :) Could also be 100 years later than that. I'm curious about that mark and whether I can figure out the maker, that would a really make this find awesome.

Chances are very good (if it has only one rectangular mark) that it is American Coin Silver.

If you can get a photo of the mark, I can very likely tell you who made it, and when.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first ring. The numbers seem a little low for silver, but that could be the ground balance. Looks like silver from here though. Good job no matter what!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread