My first silver with the XP Deus......A SPANISH COB !!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out Sunday and hit a spot in Washington County, PA that has been giving up a few colonial relics and coins. Previously it has given up a KG III Hibernia, a Spanish coin button, and a few tombacs, a shoe buckle chape, and a thimble. I wasn’t expecting to find much and I didn’t. After an hour I only had an open ended thimble and a small silver plated button. Then I dug my second horse shoe and started carrying it around for good luck. Right after that I got a sweet signal on the Deus reading a steady 89. I opened up a plug and the signal was still in the hole. I pulled some dirt out and the signal was now in the dirt pile. I saw silver peeking out of a clump of dirt and immediately knew what I had. A Spanish cob!!!

Cob in dirt.jpg

Only my second one ever. My first one was found 23 years ago. These things are rare as hens teeth in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

Cob Front.JPG
Cob Back.JPG
Cob1 front.JPG
Cob1 back.JPG

Here are my finds for the day. After the cob things were pretty quiet. I got a King George III later and then called it a day.

5-8-16 all.JPG

KG in dirt.jpg

EDIT: Just got the following Information on the Cobs Forum from Mackaydon:
Lima 2R; assayer's initial "M" (most likely Cristobal Melgarejo). Date appears as '72'; i.e. between 1720 and 1727--during "M's" time.
Don......

Last edited:
Upvote 42

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats Steve

That's a fantastic cob. I agree very hard to find a cob around here. I haven't found one yet in the last 22 yrs I've been hunting

HH Jer

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am beginning to suffer from Cob envy...Incredible find :notworthy:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got One! That is sweet Steve. Would have been riding cloud 9 all the way home. Congrats man.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I like this Cob. I've come back several times and so....Now, I don't fully believe in the banner system Steve, but I do believe your cob should be up and I'm putting a vote in.

My reason is the mint, size, age, and likeliness of being dig in the states.

Congrats again Steve

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this Cob. I've come back several times and so....Now, I don't fully believe in the banner system Steve, but I do believe your cob should be up and I'm putting a vote in.

My reason is the mint, size, age, and likeliness of being dig in the states.

Congrats again Steve

Thanks Steve! I'm glad you appreciate it as much as I do :thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve I too am putting in my vote for your cob. I apologize that I didn't earlier but after voting for a Mass silver and it not going up I've sworn off the Banner votes for awhile. I'm going to make an exemption for you my friend. A very special find indeed. I would live to find a bigger one than I have. Older no chance but bigger would be awesome!!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve I too am putting in my vote for your cob. I apologize that I didn't earlier but after voting for a Mass silver and it not going up I've sworn off the Banner votes for awhile. I'm going to make an exemption for you my friend. A very special find indeed. I would live to find a bigger one than I have. Older no chance but bigger would be awesome!!!
Thanks Abe for the vote. From what I'm hearing the 2 reale doesn't turn up very often. It is a superb colonial coin and I'm proud to have found it. I'm glad I got some good "dirt shots" too :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe for the vote. From what I'm hearing the 2 reale doesn't turn up very often. It is a superb colonial coin and I'm proud to have found it. I'm glad I got some good "dirt shots" too :laughing7:

Lol you mean those don't just jump out of the ground bright and shiny without a speck of dirt in the cracks???? Weird! I was starting to think there was something wrong with the coins I dig. Glad you have the same issue 8-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking cob. I've dug both half and one, and always wanted to find a two. But not having seen any cob for so long I'm back to not being very picky.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cob is great! Thanks for the in situ photos.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP, from what I'm hearing from those who have found cobs, none of them have found a two reale. So it's kind of weird that both of mine are two reales.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP, from what I'm hearing from those who have found cobs, none of them have found a two reale. So it's kind of weird that both of mine are two reales.

Yeah that's certainly beating the odds. I have like 10 and nothing bigger than a 1 real.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you mention it I don't think I've ever seen one before much less two

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol you mean those don't just jump out of the ground bright and shiny without a speck of dirt in the cracks???? Weird! I was starting to think there was something wrong with the coins I dig. Glad you have the same issue 8-)

Ah ha! Abe, you make a good point. But I forgot what it was....

Ah yes! Dirty coins don't jump out of the ground, yes, they're dug. Only coins recently entering the dirt "jump".

And Steve's real is a sweet sweet dirty lil banner coin. Most exceptional is the mint...in Espana!!

I think that's what I like most about your cob Steve...
I truly hope it gets more votes or whatever it needs to make it up top. But then again, I'll remember that sucker on top or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread