My first skunk

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night, had a chance to go out for a few hours. I wanted to go back to the field where I found a Buffalo, a Merc and some old Wheaties, but people were playing baseball, so I couldn't.

So, I went to an old school that was built in 1914. Nothing but junk.

I then went to an area where an old trolley used to run in the early 1900's, and left abandoned since the 50's. It had grown all in as woods, but a recent construction group has cleared the area to build houses. I went in and checked all around. Nada...

My first skunk.. jeesh... that sucks! Gotta keep going though.. I know there's lots more to find!

Thanks for listening.. just thought i'd vent.

Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Skunking happens; and it happens to us all from time to time.

GRB

I agree with Roy.

Keep this in mind. The best hitters in the Major Leagues only get a hit 33% of the time.

I got tired of getting skunked, so I stopped going to the obvious places (parks, schools, old train stations), and started digging deeper for the less known sites by doing research. My percentages went up tremendously, but I still get skunked once in a while.

Hang in there!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've driven two hours one way to a site before, hunted hard there for 8 or 10 hours, and then driven back two more hours in the car empty handed before.

No big deal. Happens to all of us.

But I dp think there are several factors help to protect against getting skunked. First is lots of research--which will yield lots of site possibilities. Second is grouping sites in a consolidated area so that you have many options within driving distance if one doesn't pan out. Third is to have many sites open at once so that you can change horses in mid-stream if a site stops producing.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Another way of not gettin' skunked, is go with an air of confidence that you ARE going to find something. Negative attitudes of an area is sure to get ya skunked! Another thing is, having a headache and trying to concentrate on what yer doing. Never works for me. ???

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny said:
Another way of not gettin' skunked, is go with an air of confidence that you ARE going to find something. Negative attitudes of an area is sure to get ya skunked! Another thing is, having a headache and trying to concentrate on what yer doing. Never works for me. ???

An EXCELLENT point. :thumbsup:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Look on the bright side. It could have been a lot worse.
You could of really had a skunkin, the wild kind I mean. :tard:

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I went back to my 'sweet spot' and scored huge! Thanks for the help and the tips!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread