My first Wheatie

Atlantian

Jan 28, 2009
Sandy Springs, G.A.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, My eyes
I went back to the 1930's house I hunted on sunday to do some work (landscaping) after finishing work I decided to hunt I had about an hour of daylight... Around the stoop was so many nails the last time I gave up but after this week and I am getting some more experience I decided I was just going to clear the bed out because this should be a prime spot for something to have gotten dropped. I pulled out three nails and then there it was... I know to everyone it's probably not a big deal and it's so old and worn you cant even see the wheat symbols on the back but it's a 1941 wheatie... I bought my metal detector last thursday and thought it would be sooo easy to find older coins boy was I wrong... I am thrilled about and I was able to accelerate my learning curve thanks to everyone on this site who has offered or respond with advice to my postings. Not that I'm a pro but I have alot more confidence... I also hunted with another TNeter on Yesturday for a few hours in a park and found this really cool tootsie toy... I know its not silver yet but I hope you all can think back to your first finds and remember the feelings in fact in responce to my post ... Please post some storys about your first finds and how it felt or what you went through and how long it took to find that first wheat or silver whatever your goal was

Thanks by the way I'm still trying to figure out how to take good pics of coins so this one is terrible

Attachments

• First Wheatie.JPG
    First Wheatie.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 322
  • tootsie toy truck.JPG
    tootsie toy truck.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Welcome to Treasure net, I don't want to even say how long it took me to find my first silver. But congratulations on your first wheatie, hope there is alot more for you & some silver to boot.

The toy truck picture turned out nice! :thumbsup:

Chris

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congradulations on the wheatie. There will be many more. Just keep it swinging. HH

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Congrats on your first wheat! Next thing ya know you will be posting your "first silver", "first mercury", "first 1800's", etc. etc.

As stated above, the only way you can find it is if ya keep swinging the money stick!

Good luck to ya!

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the truck. Congrats on the first Wheat.
Happy Hunting to ya,
Ed

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I started detecting it was probly around two weeks before I found my first wheat back and the same day I also found my first rosie. Just have to get in the right spot and just stay at it. It won't be long before you start finding the silver. Happy hunting and keep us posted...Matt

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
congrats on your first wheatback! I have been detecting for over a year now and I still haven't dug a wheat.

As far as your pics of coins...scanners do a great job on coins. And they automaticallly adjust the size to boot.

Happy hunting and keep the posts coming.

L D

OP
OP
Atlantian

Atlantian

Jan 28, 2009
Sandy Springs, G.A.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, My eyes
Hey thanks for that tip on the scanner with the coins I'll try that.. and everyone thanks for the responces... If you have time anyone else who looks at this thread tell me bout your first finds...

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
atlantian my first find was probley a snap on wrench when i was about 8 with a cheap radioshack tecta on the side of the lawn. my first silver came years later and was a 1962 quarter next to a old grave yard. just keep swinging. willy.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your first wheatie.....I don't know why, but I get more excited finding a wheatie than any other coin! Strange Huh? LOL

If you use a digital camera.....use the Macro Setting on it for close ups.....

If you have a tripod....use that too....my hand has been getting a bit shakey of late when doing Macro shots....so I use my tripod now so I can keep the coin.....ah....I mean, camera steady! LOL.....

Play with the settings.....you will be surprised what those digitals can do! Sometimes it may take several shots in Macro to get that really clear shot and also, when in Macro....you can Zoom in!!!

Congrats again...more wheaties to follow!
Annmarie

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Atlantian,
a big CONGRAT on that first wheat. :thumbsup:

Hope you will be finding many more. ;D

have a good un...............
SHERMANVILLE

boodydarn

Mar 26, 2008
Auburn., Al
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Bandit, Garrett Ace 250, DFX
Congratulations on your finds, keep the faith, silver is there. In the 70's I found lots of silver with my trusty radio shack MD but took time off for a career, then i got the bug again last March. It was a month before I found my first wheatie, but 3 months before I found my first silver, a mercury. Now in February I have only found 6 silvers, 3 mercs, a 64 Kennedy, and 2 quarters, but I am still just as excited each time as if I had just found my first. Stick with it! My oldest wheatie (coin) is a 1921.
Jerry in Alabama

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrat on the wheatie and the truck. I'd guess that truck is identifiable to a year as well (and probably close in age to the penny).

I had a metal detector when I was like 10 year old (an old whites). My first find was a memorial penny, but I was very happy. Best find with that detector was a 1883 quarter in my backyard of 1920's house in Washington. It was under the clothes drying lines.

Keep it up and your next first is a short time away.

HH

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congrats on your first wheat!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, I think I'd be just as happy or even happier with that toy than a Mercury dime. Old toys are great. Everybody likes different things, and when I go out I'm looking for old silver, but an old toy, an old dog tag, or an old bottle gets me excited, too.

Levis_dad is right about the scanner. I scan all my coins unless the detail is so faint that I need light at an oblique angle to highlight the details. Then it's the digital camera on macro setting.

I found a bunch of clad and some wheats before I found my first silver. Your's is coming - I hope soon! :wink:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Welcome to t-net and congrats on your first wheatie. My first finds were clad coins and toy trucks in my yard. You'll be digging mercs,barbers and indian heads as soon as you find some older sites to hunt. Your truck is a Tootsietoy from the 50's. Cool find!,Jerry

2-7-2009 9;59;41 AM.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread