Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
206 was one of my 7 possibilities. Although it has strong xf details, I figured the "net" grade would be in the F/VF range. You should have asked the guy who quoted $500 if he wanted to buy it for that right now! Being a very scarce variety is pretty good for a ground found copper find. I read in Breens that the prominance of the die cracks in this year, is actually more appealing to many collectors. Congrats..............Hogge

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin has strong XF details...the pictures came out poor! I had it verified today and quoted around $500. Thanks

If someone offered you that price, I think I'd sell. :D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually looked at the 197, but kind of dismissed it right away. I probably do just the opposite, as most of you do, on ID'ing coppers. I like to look at the spacing of the date first, then match it to a reverse. I think some, or all, tend to match a reverse first. Doesn't matter either way, if we get it right. I like to try and beat Don and IP to the ID, but most of the time they are WAY ahead of me.:BangHead:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That! is an awesome coin............congrats.........HH

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
First of all, what a wonderful Draped Bust, as pretty as the dirt could ever offer you one......I see some comments regarding the "wear" on LIBERTY and using it as a benchmark when grading the coin. That's not "wear" on LIBERTY but simply a weak upper strike of the coin, as was very common to the period. If it was "wear" then the whole coin would be as weak as LIBRETY, not just LIBERTY.

I think the grade of XF net VF is right on the money and $500 was a solid offer.

Again, super coin!

HH all!

Greg

ATBrian

Greenie
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, what a wonderful Draped Bust, as pretty as the dirt could ever offer you one......I see some comments regarding the "wear" on LIBERTY and using it as a benchmark when grading the coin. That's not "wear" on LIBERTY but simply a weak upper strike of the coin, as was very common to the period. If it was "wear" then the whole coin would be as weak as LIBRETY, not just LIBERTY.

I think the grade of XF net VF is right on the money and $500 was a solid offer.

Again, super coin!

HH all!

Greg

Greg, Thank you for the accurate comments on my coin. As a coin dealer, I agree that the Liberty is definetely a weak strike and not related to wear. This coin is actually an s-207 and looks much better in the flesh then the I-phone pics show. My friend, who is also a reputable coin grader, agreed with me that the coin is an XF with a net of VF due to the porosity. He said I should have no problem fetching around $500 for the coin. However, I never sell my finds as I view them as true pieces of history frozen in time. I shall cherish this find for many years! God Bless and happy hunting:)

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, Thank you for the accurate comments on my coin. As a coin dealer, I agree that the Liberty is definetely a weak strike and not related to wear. This coin is actually an s-207 and looks much better in the flesh then the I-phone pics show. My friend, who is also a reputable coin grader, agreed with me that the coin is an XF with a net of VF due to the porosity. He said I should have no problem fetching around $500 for the coin. However, I never sell my finds as I view them as true pieces of history frozen in time. I shall cherish this find for many years! God Bless and happy hunting:)

I agree it is a weak strike(Bright light made it look worst at top of coin) which for me, I am only concerned with seeing details for attributing the variety and a weak or worn LIBERTY makes ID a bit more of a challenge on the Obverse of Draped Busts, since it is usually just the date and LIBERTY that are used for IDing. Not concerned about XF, or VF when trying to ID which I did correctly...

Your coin is not a S-207, your coin has the Horizontal Crack emerging from the hair above the 3rd curl, thus it cannot be a S-207. The S-205 & S-206 have that die crack and ruled out the S-205 (wish it was one for your sake, Rare) since the diagnostics are not there for a 205, but are for a 206. Both the 206 & 207 share the same reverse BUT, the 207 ALWAYS has a triangular die break below the fraction, I do not see it your photo. So because it does show a Horizontal Crack on the Obverse and no Triangular crack on the Reverse, it again is a S-206. I do not like grade finds, since it is subjective when coming to ground founds, you know what happens when they get sent in for grading, most of the time not good. I have never sold any of my finds but did have Heritage do a "freebee" evaluation on one of my rare LCs, and it was a tad disappointing, but gave me a reference to go on at least.

Attachments

• 1800 s206.jpg
    1800 s206.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 71

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread