My gem collection (and a mystery!)

Sigil

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2018
Oklahoma City
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys! I'm a collector of gems, mostly faceted but I do have an uncut stone, need to find more. Figured I'd post my collection for you guys!
All Gems.png All Gems 2.png
Here's my entire collection for you guys to look at. I'm sure most of the purple are amethyst, the yellows are mostly lemon quartz I think and a couple of citrine/yellow topaz, the reds are mostly garnets I believe, and the brown ones are most likely smokey quartz. You can see the green ones, some of those are emeralds and they're obvious. They are low quality though, cracked and cloudy. Others are probably peridot or olivine. Clear stones I'm not sure on, but the central stone in there, the small one, is (I'm fairly certain) a champagne diamond. I know I have one other little itty bitty diamond in there too. Blue stones are probably aquamarines or blue topaz.

Now these next ones are the mystery. I got this stone out of a silver ring, it was kind of messed up and silver is cheap now anyway. It's such a strange stone to me, I want to know what it is. It's mostly sea green from most angles, but turn it and it looks more yellow. It's shine colors are green, yellow, and blue. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! I'm trying to find a jeweler local to take it in to. The closest I can come up with is Adamite, but even that isn't quite right. (I almost went to the IGS forums, but they have a bloody submission fee to sign up!)
mystery gem color.png mystery gem color2.jpg mystery gem.png mystery gem2.png mystery gem3.png mystery gem-with others3.png mystery gem-with others2.png

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you really want an ID - go see a gemologist. A forum, with pictures alone, can't help.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh I know, thats why I said I was going to find a jeweler local to take a look at it. Couldn't hurt to post though now could it? :)

:occasion14: We get a good bit of newbies here, most don't realize how complicated it is to ID cut gemstones. I kinda assumed to much, I guess.

Nice collection, by the way! I'm also a collector, lapidary artist and (occasional) seller.

Does it feel heavy in hand? I'd also consider some fancy synthetics due to the color changes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sigil

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2018
Oklahoma City
Primary Interest:
Other
:occasion14: We get a good bit of newbies here, most don't realize how complicated it is to ID cut gemstones. I kinda assumed to much, I guess.

Nice collection, by the way! I'm also a collector, lapidary artist and (occasional) seller.

Does it feel heavy in hand? I'd also consider some fancy synthetics due to the color changes.

I was thinking it might be a synthetic stone, it's not particularly heavy, but one thing of note is the base of the gem feels harder than the rest, and in the profile of the gem there is an obvious line, like the bottom had been glued to the top. It's not a perfectly straight line, more like a bubble of sorts. The material looks the same though, so I'm not sure.

Anyway thanks! I enjoy collecting this sort of stuff, would love to get into lapidary, not sure how to do so though.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a nice collection. :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking it might be a synthetic stone, it's not particularly heavy, but one thing of note is the base of the gem feels harder than the rest, and in the profile of the gem there is an obvious line, like the bottom had been glued to the top. It's not a perfectly straight line, more like a bubble of sorts. The material looks the same though, so I'm not sure.

Anyway thanks! I enjoy collecting this sort of stuff, would love to get into lapidary, not sure how to do so though.

Do you have a loupe? 10x magnification?
Check that line for something which looks like air bubbles. The Line to me suggests it could be a doublet, faceted ones aren't that common these days.:icon_scratch:
These doublets are glued together, the glue often contains small "bubbles", which together with the line would suggest a doublet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sigil

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2018
Oklahoma City
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking at it as close as I can, it does appear to be a bubble but I can see no seam at all. No line running the entire length of the stone or anything of the like. Not saying it's not a doublet, but it just looks like a giant air bubble set in the middle of the stone. (it's a fairly large bubble that pretty much encompasses the bottom of the stone).

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you are looking for an uncut gem dealer, Google one in Winchester, Tn.He's at most major gem shows across the country. He has some amazing inventory.I was in his shop on a visit to my brothers home last September.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread