My Grandfathers collection

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather's collection

I've only recently became interested in hunting for artifacts on our family farm & learning about the things we find. My grandparents have been farming the same 120 acres of land in KY for 75
years. Over the years, they've saved some of the items they've came across. Many are broken from being struck by a hoe or ran over by a tobacco setter, but several seem to be complete. My Pappaw (93 years old, whose grandfather was full blooded Cherokee) doesn't know too much about the history of the pieces he's found but is interested in knowing anything I could learn about them. So, are there any pieces that stand out as particularly interesting? Or any that you could give me names of etc so I could do some researching on them? Thanks for any information you are able to provide!!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more photos.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years of bending in that photo.

treasuregirls

Mar 2, 2015
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey KF5,

The large artifact that you are holding, I'm pretty sure would have been a tool used in a similar manner as a hammer. I have one very similar to yours, also from my grandfather's collection.

Attachments

• 20160223_203057.jpg
    20160223_203057.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 96

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link that will help with the projectile point identification Kentucky State Arrowhead Identification Guide and this one too Projectile Point Identification Guide Those are some great finds and I'm reading that the property is still available to search, you will probably find even more as you search it, I know it would take a band of wild horses to keep me out of it :laughing7: Seriously though, you have some great artifacts already, looks like some scrapers/tools, and broken projectile points that you might find the other pieces of and the big one is probably a grooved axe but others might have a different term for it, I would love to find one of those myself but haven't yet. Not sure how much archaeology type research is going on in your area but we have one day a year to ask questions of our archaeologists and that's how I find out about my stuff on the local level, on here is a good place too so be sure and post new finds on here to ask about. Thanks for sharing your Grandfather's collection and Cherokee lineage, it's all fascinating to me!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at work, but I glanced quickly, and see a dovetail in there... I'll look more when I get home, by then others may have chimed in already... I go to Kentucky every year to visit friend and mainly hunt for artifacts. Where is Kentucky, roughly, are these from? Not looking for exactly, just a roundabout area...Awesome stuff!!

OP
OP
K

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very similar!

OP
OP
K

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely have to look into that. Would love it if we have that in our area! Thanks for the suggestion :)

OP
OP
K

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern KY, Northwestern I suppose. Approximately an hour south of Cincinnati.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread