My greatest treasure hunting day EVER!

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
Whelp, I got out for a hunt today, and instead of hunting a local park, (still looking for that first gold ring) I decided to hit an old "hunted out" location. I'll tell ya, this location, just a block from my house has yielded more treasure for me then any other place I've hunted, I finally thought I had found everything of value on this little plot of land, but thought hey, it would be nice to revisit the old stomping ground, boy am I glad I did! In the course of a 3 hour hunt (my longest ever) I found a civil war era button (the 4th from this site) 9 wheat pennies, 12 memorials, 6 clad coins, a metal golf tee (?) a gold button thingy, a gold plated earring, some junky metal ring thing, and a mercury dime! You may be thinking, "hey, that's not so great!" But that's because I haven't mentioned the best part! When I got home to clean up the "junky finds" I decided that instead of just dumping them all in my finds jar, I would clean em' up and read the dates, low and behold, the last coin I pulled out of the lemon juice was a 1914-D Wheat Penny! I almost fainted.... The photo doesn't do the coin justice, it's absolutely beautiful, the only problem it has is that the D is invisible to the naked eye, i was really dissapointed when I thought it was just a 1914, but looked at it under this magnification thing I got for christmas and voila! There it was! Plain as day under 20X magnification! THE D!!!! This may not be such a great find for some of you out there, who have found oodles and oodles of gold and diamonds and junk, but to me this is a real find. I hope you enjoyed my story.

Regards - Ted

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Civil War Button.jpg
    Civil War Button.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,530
  • Mercury Dime.jpg
    Mercury Dime.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 1914-D.jpg
    1914-D.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,533
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some super finds Ted. It's a great feeling to have a site that keeps producing for you.
Way to go on the Merc, Wheat, and CW button! Any back mark on the button?
What detector do you use if you don't mind me asking?
Way to go.
-MM-

OP
OP
T

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
Thanks guys! I was surprised as anything, I must have hunted that site at least 25 times! ModernMiner - I use an ace 250, but am looking to upgrade to a more expensive model, any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Ted

Dan W Wa.

Mar 4, 2007
Montesano Washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Nice job Ted,
From the looks of things you will be returning to that park.
Nice Merc, That's my white wale.
My wife and I have a similar park here we have been pounding
no silver from it but it did give up a nice 14kt ring and a 529 ad
byzantine bronze coin for her.

keep at that park it's sure to give up that gold ring.

HH
Dan

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted, I'd be super excited as well too..you did fantastic... keep on hunting that spot...

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ted750 said:
Thanks guys! I was surprised as anything, I must have hunted that site at least 25 times! ModernMiner - I use an ace 250, but am looking to upgrade to a more expensive model, any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Ted

Don't ask me, I'm a Tesoro nut. I use a $230 Silver Umax, and find just about everything under the rainbow with it.
I've been hunting one farm spot for over a year now, and still pull up stuff when I go over there.
Great finds.
-MM-

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
ted750 said:

Thanks,

Ted

Ok.. I'm going to start a flame war.. but.. DFX... hands down.. ;-) after hunting with others using all types of machines.. it still produces more.. not accounting for the "lucky finds".. like US buckles 1 inch in the ground which any machine could pickup.. for the ability to go from site to site.. make the adjustments to deal with high trash.. ultra deep finds... or wide open field hunting.. high minerilization.. whatever.. it just seems to do better.. BUT.. and a huge BUT that is just what I have seen.. I'll get yelled at for this.. but with a 12" spider coil.. I was digging 3 ringers too deep!! 16" for a bullet gets old!! ;-) NO wonder my back is shot at 41 years old!!!

The only other machine that really seemed to get the depth was a Troy X5.. at least in the places I have hunted.. so this might be the fact that I do not stray too far and deal with pretty decent soil conditions mostly.. not sure.. I have had people tell me that a Minelab is the ONLY machine to use down south.. but I can't speak to that.. anyone else??

Actually.. I'd be interested in the numbers.. what machines dig to the foot plus mark on a regular basis? I just started "rehunting" some places that we hunted to death with other machines.. to the point where the fields were very quiet.. and with the 12" coil and the DFX.. I well over another 100 3 ringers... buttons.. scabbard tips.. etc.. all deep... 12" plus.. anybody else have a situation like that??

MonkeyBoy

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
ted750 said:

Thanks,
Ted

Don't think a more expense detector will improve your success. If you want greater depth, that may be a good reason to buy a more expensive machine, but don't buy one just for the extra bells and whistles. Some of the most productive detectorists are that way because they know their machines very well. It's not the money that makes a good machine, it's the operator. Something to think about. Also, what do you want to hunt? That makes a big difference, too.

Well said TT.

Ted,
I use my Silver Umax with a 9x8 coil and have dug many targets at a foot or more. I have no fancy bells and whistles, or displays, and have learned the sounds of my machine.
Here's a depth test link that was sent to me by another TN member:
http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/george_111_halfpenny.htm

I've heard a lot of great results from folks here on the detector you are already using.
-MM-

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
Wow! "nice haul" sure beats my collection of aluminum. Well maybe if I save it all I can take to the recycling yard and make some $$

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Fantastic! I love those old wheats. That 14D is a nice one. Congrats and keep swinging the coil bud.

BB

Lora the Explorer

Jan 21, 2008
Harrison Twp., MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Congrats on all your finds. It sounds like a ton of fun finding all those different treasures. Right now the only thing we can dig is white stuff. Can't wait unti the ground thaws!!!
Laura

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
greay finds kept the m/d you have now for a while seems like you have learned to use it real well. best luck. kyle

relic8hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2008
MonkeyBoy said:
ted750 said:

Thanks,

Ted

Ok.. I'm going to start a flame war.. but.. DFX... hands down.. ;-) after hunting with others using all types of machines.. it still produces more.. not accounting for the "lucky finds".. like US buckles 1 inch in the ground which any machine could pickup.. for the ability to go from site to site.. make the adjustments to deal with high trash.. ultra deep finds... or wide open field hunting.. high minerilization.. whatever.. it just seems to do better.. BUT.. and a huge BUT that is just what I have seen.. I'll get yelled at for this.. but with a 12" spider coil.. I was digging 3 ringers too deep!! 16" for a bullet gets old!! ;-) NO wonder my back is shot at 41 years old!!!

The only other machine that really seemed to get the depth was a Troy X5.. at least in the places I have hunted.. so this might be the fact that I do not stray too far and deal with pretty decent soil conditions mostly.. not sure.. I have had people tell me that a Minelab is the ONLY machine to use down south.. but I can't speak to that.. anyone else??

Actually.. I'd be interested in the numbers.. what machines dig to the foot plus mark on a regular basis? I just started "rehunting" some places that we hunted to death with other machines.. to the point where the fields were very quiet.. and with the 12" coil and the DFX.. I well over another 100 3 ringers... buttons.. scabbard tips.. etc.. all deep... 12" plus.. anybody else have a situation like that??

MonkeyBoy

Yes, I have had a situation like that...only I ditched my Whites and went with a Nautilus and got the same results you got from one whites to another. I swore by the Spectrum (and would have bet the house on it) until I tried a Nautilus. And no, 16" for anything civil war is not too deep. Four feet for a can sucks but 16" for ANYTHING civil war is something I gladly take ever time I hit a CW site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread