tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure this is the best place to post, as this homebuilt device looks as a go between panning and sluicing. I picked it up for $9.95 at a flea market last winter and the sluice is 20" x 7". I've not seen a sluice that had this plastic door mat looking stuff used for riffles before and wonder if any one has? or should I modify it with something better? My travel partner is ready and eager to head out and give it a try, as she is always up for a day in the great outdoors.

Attachments

• Rocker Box 1.jpg
    Rocker Box 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,199
  • Rocker Box 2.jpg
    Rocker Box 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,068
  • Rocker Box 3.jpg
    Rocker Box 3.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 587
  • Rocker Box 4.jpg
    Rocker Box 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 630

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything looks good except for the mat.
If you can find a piece of rough top conveyer belt (vortex mat) to replace what you have then you would be all set.

Otherwise get a piece of ribbed carpet to replace it with.

GG~

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything looks good except for the mat.
If you can find a piece of rough top conveyer belt (vortex mat) to replace what you have then you would be all set.

Otherwise get a piece of ribbed carpet to replace it with.

GG~
I copy that GG, Vortex Mat. Just didn't know what they call that stuff. Found just what you described at a place online called Summit Mining & Equip. Now I'm going to give this apparatus a try....My best Regards, GB

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score! Since you don't have rifles in the sluice box, I would recommend Gold Hog's "Razorback" Medium Velocity Mat. Yes, it is more expensive but will catch and hold more Gold!

Frank

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice build! I appreciate a nice job on a home project...I build most of my stuff, too. That's also a great-looking dog.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys as I sure appreciate your opinions and the options you've given me to improve my little rocker. I know I won't strike it rich, but will sure enjoy sifting the sand and gravel for a little color.

Fullpan, What else do you see I need? Is it the handle? If so, do you see anything else? I need to know?

Best Regards to all,
Grant

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its just the handle that appears to be missing. The other suggestions I hope you find helpful - its a nice find for ten bucks. Make sure its waterproof and
happy hunting! (waterproof the rocker, not the dog)

P.s. after some use, no rush, you'll probably want a stronger and smaller mesh classifying screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its just the handle that appears to be missing. The other suggestions I hope you find helpful - its a nice find for ten bucks. Make sure its waterproof and
happy hunting! (waterproof the rocker, not the dog)

P.s. after some use, no rush, you'll probably want a stronger and smaller mesh classifying screen.

Thats a big 10-4 there Fullpan and thanks for the input. I see your from the Silver State. I go out that way to the Northern Nev. part mostly. We have a place in Carlin, just west of Elko. I at times am found to be in Midus, Manhatten, Fernly, Austin to Sutter Gold along the hwy 49 in Jackson Cal. plus other places in between pedding my wares. Any good spots you know of I should stop and check out? ....I'm going to follow up some spots with this rocker in Wyoming that have come to my attention here very soon.

The little dog does get in the water, comes out looking like a wet mop head with the legs of a chicken. I had to put my old dog and partner of 16 years down the first of this year and the little dog is now a great one to pack along. We have fun together, thought about using her to lure in coyotes as she thinks she's a hunting dog, a thing she picked up from the other dog who was a hunting dog.

Thanks a bunch,
Grant

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats a big 10-4 there Fullpan and thanks for the input. I see your from the Silver State. I go out that way to the Northern Nev. part mostly. We have a place in Carlin, just west of Elko. I at times am found to be in Midus, Manhatten, Fernly, Austin to Sutter Gold along the hwy 49 in Jackson Cal. plus other places in between pedding my wares. Any good spots you know of I should stop and check out? ....I'm going to follow up some spots with this rocker in Wyoming that have come to my attention here very soon.

The little dog does get in the water, comes out looking like a wet mop head with the legs of a chicken. I had to put my old dog and partner of 16 years down the first of this year and the little dog is now a great one to pack along. We have fun together, thought about using her to lure in coyotes as she thinks she's a hunting dog, a thing she picked up from the other dog who was a hunting dog.

Thanks a bunch,
Grant
Sorry about your other dog, Grant. I had to put my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon down a couple of weeks ago...doesn't get any easier no matter how many times we go through it. Glad you like your new pup. If you camp out in the boonies, keep an eye peeled in the evening, if your dog is out running around. Coyotes have no problem luring smallish dogs to their death. And, there are lots of coyotes in both Wyoming, and Nevada.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your other dog, Grant. I had to put my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon down a couple of weeks ago...doesn't get any easier no matter how many times we go through it. Glad you like your new pup. If you camp out in the boonies, keep an eye peeled in the evening, if your dog is out running around. Coyotes have no problem luring smallish dogs to their death. And, there are lots of coyotes in both Wyoming, and Nevada.
Jim

Thanks! Jim, Sorry what you went through with your dog. Its tough...I do keep an eye on that little dog. These Coyotes are everywhere these days. Behind my home is an old coal mine sight in the middle of a field where I find pieces of cats all the time. The Lady down the block came by day after the 4th of July and said she hasn't see her Belgian Kitty that ran around neighborhood all the time. She said it was a seven hundred dollar cat. It still never was found. I just couldn't tell her I'm sure it was hunting in the tall grass out back and most likely ambushed by the coyotes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Jim, Sorry what you went through with your dog. Its tough...I do keep an eye on that little dog. These Coyotes are everywhere these days. Behind my home is an old coal mine sight in the middle of a field where I find pieces of cats all the time. The Lady down the block came by day after the 4th of July and said she hasn't see her Belgian Kitty that ran around neighborhood all the time. She said it was a seven hundred dollar cat. It still never was found. I just couldn't tell her I'm sure it was hunting in the tall grass out back and most likely ambushed by the coyotes.

Sorry guys about both your' dogs! I have lost quite a few dogs and cats over the years!

As far as the Coyotes are concerned! A chicken tied to a stake with a small rope and placed close to their' den and a good scoped .223 will do the trick.

Frank

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys about both your' dogs! I have lost quite a few dogs and cats over the years!

As far as the Coyotes are concerned! A chicken tied to a stake with a small rope and placed close to their' den and a good scoped .223 will do the trick.

Frank
A superb idea, I'll add that to the list of ways to take care of those hideous mangi bast**ds

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a great looking rocker! When I make rockers, I usually add a piece that extends a few inches from the bottom in the back so I can rock it with my foot while I am feeding it with my hands.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not need a handle. It is a mini rocker. I built one years ago, from the book:" How to build and use your own mini-rocker" January 1, 1981
by Verne Ballantyne

Also riffles will do no good. It does not have water flow through it to drive a riffle. The astro turf works fine for catching gold and black sand. What I did make though to use with it is just a piece of board as wide as the mini rocker, and a little longer with a cleat across. When you use the mini rocker, put the board down and put the mini rocker on the board so that the front rocker rests against the cleat. This give the mini rocker a solid base to rock on and the cleat keeps the mini rocker from walking off the board.

The top hopper should slide right into the base, that is how it was designed. Then I took mine with me, I would slide the hopper into the base, set it on the board with the cleat, and wrap a bungee cord around it. Made it real easy to carry.

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deserdog LOL i was lookin for the picture on my minirocker and the info , i built this way back, 10 bucks is a score, carpet is what i have in mine and it works great

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 98

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread