My Last Few Homesite Finds

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Here's a few pics of my finds from the last few hunts, all of these finds came from the same site where I found the 1843 Large Cent. Incidentally, I did (finally) find what is left of the foundation and what I presume to be the barn.

Lots of old marbles, an apothecary bottle, toe tap, and some buckes along with other misc.
101_0271.jpg

A thimble, and two decorative whatzits, both have very nice ornate designs, but I don't have a clue, any guesses?
101_0278.jpg

Lots of old buttons, among the more interesting ones are two that read "Old Kentucky", and one that reads "Nashville Volunteer" anyone know anything about these?
101_0265.jpg

And finally the coins, not too many, the Indian is an 1876, one 1940 Wheatie, and the other I'm sure is a coin but is so encrusted I can't get the junk off, anyone know how to clean it enough to see what it is?
101_0273.jpg

HH everybody!

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Awesome finds redlined, those marbles are real neat, so is the bottle & bottle stopper. alot of buttons. And congratulations on the indian head!

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
I accidentally left out the pic of the three buttons in question, here they are, anyone know anything about these? Thanks guys-------Red

101_0284.jpg

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
That's a long-lived site..

The bottle appears to have been made with the Owens bottle-making machine patented and in use in 1904. The marbles date from early 1900s to,possibly,1920s. It's common for a home site to be occupied by several different families over a long span of time. Always check old bottles to see if the mold marks end at or just above the base of the neck. If they do,this indicates they were hand blown and likely predate 1904. Bottles made not long after 1906 have the 'Owens ring' on their base indicating they were made with the Owens machine. I'm working a site right now that's composed of artifacts spanning the 1800s thru to 1954. I live in a ghost town called Trona in Calif's Mojave Desert.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen several of those things, (oblong with a hole in each end), posted here on the net but I don't think anyone has identified them for sure? Monty

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Sweet digs!
HH
Baggins

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful assortment of finds. Thanks for posting. You mentioned that you're sure that the unidentified piece is a coin. What makes you think this, do you see any lettering or a date? From the photo it looks rusted as if it were iron.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, ANY 1870s IH is a Great find. They are not very common to dig, unlike the 1880s-1900s ones.

Second, there seems to have been a great time span in the occupation of the site. You have found some work clothing buttons from the 1900-1920 range. You have also found a nice 1870s IH and one of those brass items with two holes that we can't ID yet...Those brass items are only found on 1780-1820s or 1830s sites though! We have the date range nailed down pretty well, but no idea on ID. Here is the thread in "What Is It?":

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175963.0.html

If you wouldn't mind, please add a photo of the item to that thread. It could use a good bump up, and perhaps someone will be able to ID it. :) (I have yet another one to add to the thread too, found two weeks ago :wink:)

The marbles are wonderful--and many of them are old. The fork is pretty awesome too. I would like to see a close up of the brass item you posted in the top right of the first photo. Wondering if it is a ramrod channel perhaps...

I'm also wondering if the thimble is heavily oxidized silver. Not too many brass ones I've seen have such a design on them, and the thimble looks a bit different from the patina of the other brass you found.

Now..the question is this: where are the flat buttons and older coins? If you're planning a return trip, I'm excited to see what else you find.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
I looked the thimble over, one side def. has some silver on it, the rest looks rubbed off. Could it be plated or gilded, or do you think all but the one small edge is heavily tarnished?

"The marbles are wonderful--and many of them are old. The fork is pretty awesome too. I would like to see a close up of the brass item you posted in the top right of the first photo. Wondering if it is a ramrod channel perhaps... "

The piece in the top right is actually clay or ceramic, I was thinking maybe part of an old tobacco pipe?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redlined said:
I looked the thimble over, one side def. has some silver on it, the rest looks rubbed off. Could it be plated or gilded, or do you think all but the one small edge is heavily tarnished?

What does it ring up as on your ace 250? Is it consistent or does it jump on the meter?

I think it looks like heavily oxidized silver, but I'd love to see a close-up of it.

-Buckles

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
redlined said:

What does it ring up as on your ace 250? Is it consistent or does it jump on the meter?

I think it looks like heavily oxidized silver, but I'd love to see a close-up of it.

-Buckles

You're not gonna believe this, I eyeballed it ;D It was laying right on top of the dirt so I never ran the coil over it, I'll check it out tommorrow......

I really have a feeling this place has some better stuff than what I've found so far, the only odd thing is the time span the coins and relics cover, I've found the LC with an 1843 date all the way up to 70's clad :tard:........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread