Mystery in the Sand??

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cold to go out this morning so I waited until it warmed up to 34 degrees this afternoon. The beach was empty
and kids had not come in yet for spring break. As I detected in the dry sand near a sand dune I spotted the tip
of a small sandwich bag sticking out of the sand. I swept over it and got a good signal so I picked it up. Now it gets good!!
It was one bag inside of another. The outter bag had the number 5 in a circle and a note inside the inner bag.
Along with the note was a 10$ bill and a quarter.
The note said "Please call if found" and there was a phone number. The date on the note was 8/10/08 so it had been
in the sand or ocean for some time. I'm not sure if it is part of a game or just lost. I will call the number and let you know.

Attachments

• Mystery 001.jpg
    Mystery 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Mystery 002.jpg
    Mystery 002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • Mystery 003.jpg
    Mystery 003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,508
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
I'm Shelby...no need to call just send me the ten bucks and keep the quarter for your troubles.
Thanks

NJ I mean Shelby

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
i once found a smaller seal bag containing a folded piece of red fabric, inside the fabric was a folded up £5 note!
the note had been folded around two coins which were stuck together, so had been in the water some time!

we had some serious bad luck after that :icon_scratch:

just told my missus what you found and she thinks you should put it back :-\

i'm not trying to spook you but it s a strange find!

cpt_kirstov

Greenie
Sep 29, 2004
Quinebaug, CT
chicepo said:
The outter bag had the number 5 in a circle and a note inside the inner bag.
The note said "Please call if found" and there was a phone number. The date on the note was 8/10/08
I'm going to guess that this was some group of some sort doing a scavenger hunt that you had a list of places where your bags were, and they were numbered so that the organizer knew which bags to pick back up when the searchers were done. 8/10/08 was a sunday, so it might have been a sunday school group?

If it had been dated durign the school year, I would suggest a psycology class experiment - Each person hide a bag with $10 and a quarter for the phone call, numbered so that you know which call back, and which don't..

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
cpt_kirstov said:
chicepo said:
The outter bag had the number 5 in a circle and a note inside the inner bag.
The note said "Please call if found" and there was a phone number. The date on the note was 8/10/08
I'm going to guess that this was some group of some sort doing a scavenger hunt that you had a list of places where your bags were, and they were numbered so that the organizer knew which bags to pick back up when the searchers were done. 8/10/08 was a sunday, so it might have been a sunday school group?

If it had been dated durign the school year, I would suggest a psycology class experiment - Each person hide a bag with $10 and a quarter for the phone call, numbered so that you know which call back, and which don't..

ok! reading that i realize i sound like a lunatic :-[

sorry :D

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Nice treasure Hunt gone wrong.. The owner even lost where he put it.

Nice find!!!

Happy Hunting

Twin Digger

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
My guess is that the quarter was in the bag to ensure that a metal detector user was sure to find it, and that this is a piece of a study on the honesty of folks like us. Well, maybe not. I just wanted to post something so that I don't accidentally miss the conclusion of this. Very interesting!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHbenz said:
My guess is that the quarter was in the bag to ensure that a metal detector user was sure to find it, and that this is a piece of a study on the honesty of folks like us. Well, maybe not. I just wanted to post something so that I don't accidentally miss the conclusion of this. Very interesting!

I agree. . . who knows, this could belong to some billionaire :o with a lot of time on his hands
and this is part of a bet he made with his neighbor. . . or not. I would call. . . we ALL want to
know how this plays out :wink:

watercolor

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
watercolor said:
NHbenz said:

I agree. . . who knows, this could belong to some billionaire :o with a lot of time on his hands
and this is part of a bet he made with his neighbor. . . or not. I would call. . . we ALL want to

watercolor

what if it's the man that hands out all the bad luck :D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
watercolor said:
NHbenz said:

watercolor

what if it's the man that hands out all the bad luck :D

Well. . . ahh. . . he could have run out of bad luck with the last bag ;D

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Perhaps it was just someone that wanted to do something different. You know like the people who put a note in a bottle.

The area code is from the Atlanta area.

Interesting. :)

Perhaps it's a rich person who will give you a portion of their fortune if you call instead of just pocketing the 10 and moving on. You never know.....now that would be awesome!!!!

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i build bridges usually over rivers . one day my partner wrote a note saying if you find this call this number and i will give you 500.00 he signed my bosses name and the company trailers phone number sure enough someone found it in the river and called wanting the cash even today we still laugh at him .

OP
OP
chicepo

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the good news is I called the number in the note. The bad news is it was disconnected or out of service. I have done all the reverse phone numbers sites with no luck. I am going to keep trying but I think it might be a dead end. I had hopes of maybe it was a test to see if someone would call and turn the money in a they would give a huge reward! WAKE UP !! Sorry, I was day dreaming.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
chicepo said:
Well the good news is I called the number in the note. The bad news is it was disconnected or out of service. I have done all the reverse phone numbers sites with no luck. I am going to keep trying but I think it might be a dead end. I had hopes of maybe it was a test to see if someone would call and turn the money in a they would give a huge reward! WAKE UP !! Sorry, I was day dreaming.

BUMMER!!!!! >:(

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chicepo said:

Awe. . . POOP! :BangHead: I had my fingers crossed for you. . . your heart is in the right place. . . and that's what counts :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread