My latest log mark.. RYAN

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I took a good friend of mine to my mining town, He is interested in finding coins which I have no interest in. He found no coins but I found this log mark in the area. It was so rusty that I couldn't make out the letters on it when I dug it up. It is marked RYAN. My friend now has an interest in digging iron. I found a toy pistol which I will post a before and after photo at a later date.

Attachments

• log.JPG
    log.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a cool find, Lumber. 8)

How many of these do you have? I thought I saw a previous post of yours where you have several. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Mona, You chased me out on a rainy night to count my log marks in my display area. This makes #28 log mark. The interesting thing about this mining town is that I find both mining and logging items. This is my 3rd log mark in the area in the last 5 years. I went to this mining town in the early 70's which is polluted with small pieces of iron with a Garrett Mini Hunter. It was frustrating and I gave up after several trips, I now have a Garrett Ace 250 and I can block out most of the small iron junk. I've only seen the diggings of one other person in the last several years and the crappy iron that they left behind, I brought home and cleaned up for my display. Thanks for the interest Mona

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very cool...I always try to find those but even tho I hunt a lot of logging camps ...I havent yet....now I know why...you have them all! :D

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Gypsy, maybe you are hunting in the wrong state. All of the log marks are in Penna. :) Jimbob, not all log marks had the lumbermans name. Some have letters/numbers or a combination of both. Others may have figures or designs on them. It was his way of getting paid when the logs went to the mill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread