Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid $120 for all this..

Green depression glass art deco desk organizer? or vanity tray? with lid
Green depression Hocking spiral optic ball ivy vase
Green depression Hocking princess pattern satin finish cookie jar with lid
Green depression Indiana glass divided dish
Green depression glass small ladle
set of 3 Jeanette jadeite measuring cups (1/4, 1/2 & 1 cup)
Mammoth Cave 1920's ish custard glass cup/mug
Rare in topaz (vaseline) Fenton (1961-62) thumbprint 8.5" basket (this came in a 7 or 7.5" version as well) most think the "vaseline" ones are not Fenton because that color run was so short & thus why it is listed in most books as a rare Fenton piece.
Fenton carnival glass with uranium base glass acorn pattern bowl (the base glass is actually an icy green color)

DSC03194.JPG DSC03196.JPG DSC03197.JPG DSC03200a.jpg DSC03183aq.jpg DSC03188.JPG DSC03189.JPG DSC03190.JPG DSC03191.JPG DSC03192.JPG DSC03184.JPG

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector - this is something I know ZERO about. How do you pick out the uranium pieces and is there decent profit in it? I actually tend to stay away from the glass sections.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector - this is something I know ZERO about. How do you pick out the uranium pieces and is there decent profit in it? I actually tend to stay away from the glass sections.

The Fenton carnival glass bowl I paid $15 for & it is an easy $45 + shipping on eBay but only cause it has the icy green base glass as the same acorn pattern bowl with other common base color glass such as cobalt or amethyst are not worth $45+ dollars. That said other color combos could be worth significantly more than the icy green one like I got. Base glass color crossed with the iridized color is what makes a piece of carnival glass rare or common.

The jadeite measuring cups are at minimum $75 on ebay on up to over $100. The green lidded desk organizer is up words of $100 (I can't find one on ebay recently in green) There is an amber one for like $70+ shipping. The ball ivy vase is $50 with free shipping & not real common. The satin green princess pattern cookie jar is not real common most are not satin & it is an easy $35 minimum (sometimes the lid can sell for that much alone). The Fenton basket I wouldn't even consider selling for less than $150 (I have seen them sell for less but most ppl want up words of $250 for one). The Mammoth cave mug is a tough one, to the right collector its $100 & id say no less than $50 at any given time on eBay, (there isn't one nor hasn't been one on ebay recently). The diamond shape divided Indiana glass tray is like $15 to $30. An easy $500 or more worth of glass that I gave $120 for!

I test any piece I suspect has uranium in it with this (it's the purple thing on that ring). It's a LED UV light & it doesn't ever lie! Once you learn what glass looks like that contains uranium it's pretty easy to spot but there are plenty of green uranium looking glass that doesn't contain uranium & that's where the light comes in very handy. That said just cause glass contains uranium doesn't mean its valuable, some is & some isn't. Especially with green depression glass. Many pieces that don't contain uranium are quite valuable (see Illinois or Indiana glass green canisters from the mid & late 40's). Vaseline glass (aka canary, topaz, yellow, citron) is unmistakeable as it is very vibrant & almost glows from the uranium content in just normal light. Pre war formula jadeite also almost glows in natural light where as post war jadeite does not because it does not contain uranium (like FireKing jadeite).

DSC02967.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I pretty pretty please by your jadeite!??? I collect :)

I also collect pre war only jadeite.. I have canisters, range shakers in a couple different shapes (round with ribs & square), a late 1939 or 1940 Sunbeam mixer with jadeite bowls & juicer attachment, a pair of Victorian or art nouveau style 2 piece jadeite vases that are extremely rare. A set of 4 McKee jadeite dinner plates & 4 bowls. I was missing measuring cups & still need the 1/3rd cup one which the cheapest I can find is $23 shipped on eBay right now. Here are pix of the mixer & vases. Can't find the pix of the plates, bowls, canisters or shakers & they are packet away right now.

DSC02980.JPG GosmsPhoto1367640812715.jpg

The only similar vase I've ever seen is this one on ebay which has the same base but the vase part of theirs is not original & clear & is to large for the stand thus it is bending the brass out of shape. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VICTORIAN-JADITE-ETCHED-GLASS-W-BRASS-BUD-VASE-EARLY-1900S-2-PIECE-/121061188721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2fcf2471

Picture 4.png

Last edited:

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks inspector, I just ordered myself a uv flashlight to take with me on my hunts!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, does it have to be in the dark to do the test? I mean can you do it at local GF or TS? Also isn't uranium radioactive? Thanks

No it does not need to be in the dark, the darker it is the better you will see the reaction but under typical indoor lighting you can see the reaction by putting the LED light right up to a thick part of the glass & the beam of light will make sort of a neon green streak inside the glass. The auction I attend every week is very bright, lot's of florescent lighting & I have no trouble seeing the reaction. Now maybe super bright direct sunlight could drown it out but that's it.

Yes any glass that contains uranium is radio active.. Old jadeite glass, most custard glass, green depression glass & lime sherbert glass all contain uranium. Canary/topaz/citron/straw glass are all names used by the original makers that are what people now refer to as "vaseline" glass & it contains a lot uranium. There was no uranium glass produced in the USA between 1942 & 1958. All jadeite produced before 1942 contains uranium but I have never found any from post 1942 that has any uranium in it thus I always break jadeite down to "pre war formula" & "post war formula". The radio activity is pretty much blocked by the glass as one of the better insulators of radiation is glass & there is no harm to handling or being around it tho I really don't suggest eating chips or slivers of it!

I am still completely convinced early cancer going as far back as the mid Victorian era (when they didn't know what cancer even was) probably quite often came from people accidentally eating little pieces of this glass. I have heard rumors that none of the old time uranium glass blowers lived real long but no one is sure if it's from simply blowing the molten glass or more likely from just being around the raw uranium salts without proper breathing protection. So many green depression mixing bowls have lots of chips on the inside rim from metal utensils & I always wonder where did that glass go? And then think OMG it went into something that was being stirred in that bowl 75 years ago & someone ate it & probably promptly died of thyroid cancer. Kinda like people who stored liquor in lead crystal decanters for any length of time, after like 24 hours it leaches lead out of the glass & they drink it. I see this being a possible cause for birth defects in kids who's mother drank liquor stored this way.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didnt see your video before I bought mine!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool information. Thanks for sharing it all. I love seeing how much y'all know!

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it does not need to be in the dark, the darker it is the better you will see the reaction but under typical indoor lighting you can see the reaction by putting the LED light right up to a thick part of the glass & the beam of light will make sort of a neon green streak inside the glass. The auction I attend every week is very bright, lot's of florescent lighting & I have no trouble seeing the reaction. Now maybe super bright direct sunlight could drown it out but that's it. Yes any glass that contains uranium is radio active.. Old jadeite glass, most custard glass, green depression glass & lime sherbert glass all contain uranium. Canary/topaz/citron/straw glass are all names used by the original makers that are what people now refer to as "vaseline" glass & it contains a lot uranium. There was no uranium glass produced in the USA between 1942 & 1958. All jadeite produced before 1942 contains uranium but I have never found any from post 1942 that has any uranium in it thus I always break jadeite down to "pre war formula" & "post war formula". The radio activity is pretty much blocked by the glass as one of the better insulators of radiation is glass & there is no harm to handling or being around it tho I really don't suggest eating chips or slivers of it! I am still completely convinced early cancer going as far back as the mid Victorian era (when they didn't know what cancer even was) probably quite often came from people accidentally eating little pieces of this glass. I have heard rumors that none of the old time uranium glass blowers lived real long but no one is sure if it's from simply blowing the molten glass or more likely from just being around the raw uranium salts without proper breathing protection. So many green depression mixing bowls have lots of chips on the inside rim from metal utensils & I always wonder where did that glass go? And then think OMG it went into something that was being stirred in that bowl 75 years ago & someone ate it & probably promptly died of thyroid cancer. Kinda like people who stored liquor in lead crystal decanters for any length of time, after like 24 hours it leaches lead out of the glass & they drink it. I see this being a possible cause for birth defects in kids who's mother drank liquor stored this way.
Wow thank you very much for the info, very interesting. Just ordered 3 from the site you listed :)

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a sunbeam mixmaster a few weeks ago to part out. Here is a pic simular to what I bought. What would be a good price to ask for each bowl? Mine are more of the jade color.

Attachments

• MIXER.jpg
    MIXER.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,350
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didnt see your video before I bought mine!

It is not my video, if I would have made it I would have used all the types of glass that contain uranium as they all react slightly different from each other

Wow thank you very much for the info, very interesting. Just ordered 3 from the site you listed :)

I have no idea how good that site is they just happened to sell the same exact light I use.

I bought a sunbeam mixmaster a few weeks ago to part out. Here is a pic simular to what I bought. What would be a good price to ask for each bowl? Mine are more of the jade color.

Why are you parting it out? What model # & year is it dan? The beaters for the old machines do very well in my experience. The bowls & reamer are a safe $15 each maybe slightly more depending on the week.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you parting it out? What model # & year is it dan? The beaters for the old machines do very well in my experience. The bowls & reamer are a safe $15 each maybe slightly more depending on the week.

I have done pretty good buying older mixmaster type food processors and parting them out. I try to get $10 - $12.50 - $15 for each segment. None of this low balling at $5 with free shipping like another member has talked about.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done pretty good buying older mixmaster type food processors and parting them out. I try to get $10 - $12.50 - $15 for each segment. None of this low balling at $5 with free shipping like another member has talked about.

I agree 100% on your feeling on your pricing.. & it seems average to me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions