My thrift store is making it harder to find finds.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TS I frequent the most has been brutal with their prices. They seem to watch for what people are buying, decide to research into that type of item and raise their prices. This week they started to put into a display case designer pocketbooks and shoes. It seems the only thing that they are not looking for yet are ceramics (but how long will it be before they catch on).

So, all I been buying is ceramics mostly.

Here are some of my finds over the last two days.

A 19th century blueflo platter 13"X18". The mark was used between 1878 to 1904. Paid $2
IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

I broke my rule to avoid oriental porcelain due to fakes but I liked these two pieces.

Qianlong marked not of the period Imperial Dragon brushpot paid $1
IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0402.jpg

Yongzheng marked monochrome gourd vase. I do not believe it's of the period but a nice reproduction paid $3

IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0396.jpg

Salt glaze cup made by Monroe Salt Works for $1, sellers on Ebay are asking $25 for similar ones.

IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0398.jpg

Finally, a piece that is intriguing me. It's a ceramic female fertility wall hanging but have not yet determined it's age, maker or value. Paid $1

IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0413.jpg

Sorry about the upside down marks.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for sharing. I was not aware of Monroe Salt Works. I'll keep that in mind while making the rounds. The wall hanging could be from a high school or college art class. I will usually take those pieces that have only initials/dates. I left three out of four coffee mugs at my high school art class. Last day of senior year, had other things on my mind and forgot them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone to some stores for a long time. In one they would hire someone who knows a bit of antiques and jewelry. The price goes up with a person like that. I still hunt the place hoping they would over look things and they do from time to time, but employee turn over is frequent and when the new pricing person comes in, its for the most part better due to their knowledge of things. Good news around here is they're always discounting things now, epically on a holiday when everything is half off. They also have all these color tags and post on the wall which color is on sale that day. If I see something I like, I just ask, Hey when will the orange tags go on sale and hope I can get in on time and get the deal on that day on all orange tags are 1/2 off. Keep at it, the deal of the century may be just around the corner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread