My Lost Time Capsule

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m 32, and when I was a kid I collected sports cards and coins. One day in 1988, I decided I was going to prepare a time capsule with all my special coins and cards. I gathered various silver coins including a couple silver dollars, half dollars, quarters, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, and Indian heads. All in all, it was probably 30 coins total and an assortment of 1987 topps baseball cards. Yes, 1987 topps cards.

I placed the items in a wooden jewelry box about the size of cigar box and I hid them in a corner of the attic under the insulation. I had completely forgotten about that box until a couple weeks ago when I rediscovered my interest in coins. Retrieving the box would be a little complicated because my dad sold the house 13 years ago. I have no idea who the current owner is.

Anyways, I’ll be in my hometown this weekend and I was considering stopping by the old house. I’ve also considered writing a letter and explaining (in vague details) my hidden treasure. My end goal is to be given permission to enter the attic and retrieve my hidden box. I’m still optimistic that my box is still there…. Still debating on whether stopping by unannounced on Friday is a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
If you don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, I would stop and ask in person. Having something with you that proves you used to live there should help. Pretty easy for them to just throw the letter away.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If you don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, I would stop and ask in person. Having something with you that proves you used to live there should help. Pretty easy for them to just throw the letter away.

...particularly if they're used to dealing with "mentally ill adults." As soon as I read that part, I figured you could kiss your stuff goodbye.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the neighbors are the same id talk to them. They might know who the "new"owners are and could help you out. I would ask them to have the owners get it for you. GOOD LUCK.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the current owner and it's a non-profit that provides residential treatment for mentally ill adults. Apparently, the home is staffed with two care givers and assists four adult residents. I don't know anything more other than half the garage has been converted into a padded "safety room" for when residents have "episodes". My old childhood neighbor said the occupants are very quiet and he hasn't meet the folks that live there.

I've written a letter and I mailed on 12/3. I left my home and work contact info. (I work for a fancy pants state agency so that should give me some credibility, or at least counter balance the randomness of my request.) Now I guess I'll wait a few weeks and hope I get a response. I'll try to contact them again if I don't hear anything.

I've lined up an infrared camera so that I can see through the insulation if the interior/attic heat differential is great enough. It should allow me to find the box in a couple of minutes.

I'll post more info as it becomes known!

Hmmmmm... I wonder how quiet it'll stay when a bunch of mentally ill adults notice a guy parked outside aiming an infrared camera at the place.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm... I wonder how quiet it'll stay when a bunch of mentally ill adults notice a guy parked outside aiming an infrared camera at the place.
You could tell them you are looking for aliens with a special camera, they would take you in and you could get your box.

Digginbingo

Jan 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would find a way... If you could get one of the people who work there... tell them about it. and tell them you will pay them to retrieve it. If I worked there I would do it for free.... well.... a silver dollar or two might be missing when the box came back to you...haha. Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
C

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been over a month and I've heard no response to my letter about the time capsule. I'm going to regroup and follow up this weekend. I still have my fingers crossed that they will allow me to search for the box.

C

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a joke, referring to fictional Skunksville, I did not mean for it to parallel reality, or anything other than coin roll hinting. If you find it offensive still, I'll gladly go back and erase it, I posted it over a month ago. Sorry, if you took it to be offensive.

EDIT: deleted the post, problem solved.

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you didnt tell them it was in the attic did ya?
is this place in texas, and if so what area?
^just to get an idea of the ppl, not your capsule.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread