My Lost Time Capsule

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m 32, and when I was a kid I collected sports cards and coins. One day in 1988, I decided I was going to prepare a time capsule with all my special coins and cards. I gathered various silver coins including a couple silver dollars, half dollars, quarters, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, and Indian heads. All in all, it was probably 30 coins total and an assortment of 1987 topps baseball cards. Yes, 1987 topps cards.

I placed the items in a wooden jewelry box about the size of cigar box and I hid them in a corner of the attic under the insulation. I had completely forgotten about that box until a couple weeks ago when I rediscovered my interest in coins. Retrieving the box would be a little complicated because my dad sold the house 13 years ago. I have no idea who the current owner is.

Anyways, Iā€™ll be in my hometown this weekend and I was considering stopping by the old house. Iā€™ve also considered writing a letter and explaining (in vague details) my hidden treasure. My end goal is to be given permission to enter the attic and retrieve my hidden box. Iā€™m still optimistic that my box is still thereā€¦. Still debating on whether stopping by unannounced on Friday is a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

JohnGalt

Nov 4, 2012
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great story Cat. I am really at a loss as to how to approach the home owners though. So much depends on the owners, .... if someone banged on your door with a story like that.... what would you do? I have been asking myself that question as well.

I am sorry but these days........ I would likely tell you "no thanks". I would likely write down your plate number and call the police (I live in a small town and can do that without dialing 911) and ask them what they thought. The more I think about it, I would not just "pop" in. If it is a small town, I might enlist the local police. I would tend to believe the story from someone standing next to an officer at my front door as opposed to solo.

Thats all I can come up with right now. Let us know how it goes.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Barge in there like you own the place, and tell them you are a time traveler and you have come to get your now valuable time capsule from the attic. :laughing7:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a dilemma! on one hand, maybe asking would work out ok and it would be great for you to recover your box. on the other, maybe they would say no thanks and then go look for it themselves. Who knows, maybe they've already found it.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say ask politely, tell him the story, but dont give out the exact location, or even any location until you come to an agreement with the owner...

I too was just remembering the other day, I burried an easter egg full of coins in an old home of mine, i have thought about asking permission as well... although I dont think my treasure is as great as yours sounds

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m 32, and when I was a kid I collected sports cards and coins. One day in 1988, I decided I was going to prepare a time capsule with all my special coins and cards. I gathered various silver coins including a couple silver dollars, half dollars, quarters, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, and Indian heads. All in all, it was probably 30 coins total and an assortment of 1987 topps baseball cards. Yes, 1987 topps cards.

I placed the items in a wooden jewelry box about the size of cigar box and I hid them in a corner of the attic under the insulation. I had completely forgotten about that box until a couple weeks ago when I rediscovered my interest in coins. Retrieving the box would be a little complicated because my dad sold the house 13 years ago. I have no idea who the current owner is.

Anyways, Iā€™ll be in my hometown this weekend and I was considering stopping by the old house. Iā€™ve also considered writing a letter and explaining (in vague details) my hidden treasure. My end goal is to be given permission to enter the attic and retrieve my hidden box. Iā€™m still optimistic that my box is still thereā€¦. Still debating on whether stopping by unannounced on Friday is a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Guess it can't hurt to ask, but under no circumstance would I allow a total stranger into my attic.

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it possible to bring your dad along since he might have met the current owner during the sale??

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd talk to a lawyer friend if you have one and find out what your legal rights are first. They may now be the owners of your time capsule when they bought the house. On the other hand, you may still have a right to your property.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, 2 stories on this thread of hiding coins as kids and not retrieving them before moving out. Gives all us cache hunters hope!

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you as a real estate broker, that he has no rights to the box, since the house was sold to include everything in it. That is how transactions of homes are done. I think that his best bet would be to send a heart felt letter. If they have any heart at all, they will get back in touch with you to discuss it. If not, then it will just have to stay a lost memory.

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You could go in there with a gun and get it if they said no. But that would probably be frowned upon.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I would talk to the current owner and tell them about the box, but don't tell them what's inside, and tell him or her that you would pay them a small fee for retreiving the box as a sign of thank you to them. The worse that can happen is that the owner says no. I mean if its still hidden after so long, no one is going to find it without seriously looking.

Just a thought,
Garoulady

OP
OP
C

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to the time traveling explanation; though my gut is telling me that I should look up the owner on the tax assessor website and write them a letter. I'm gonna send the letter today and I will provide an update if I hear anything back.

My one fear is that the home owner has filled the attic with R-60 cellulose insulation. The last thing I'd want to do is try to remember where I hid it while digging through two feet of insulation. I got my fingers crossed.

I'll document this quest with pictures and update along the way.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this could be easier than you think. I would just show up with some things that proved your grew up at the house. I would bring something with your name and address and may be some childhood photos of you at the house. I would tell the truth and say you created a time capsule with some "trinkets" from your youth. I bet they let you in to get it. Also, may be bring one of your parents.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverdollarbill said:
I think this could be easier than you think. I would just show up with some things that proved your grew up at the house. I would bring something with your name and address and may be some childhood photos of you at the house. I would tell the truth and say you created a time capsule with some "trinkets" from your youth. I bet they let you in to get it. Also, may be bring one of your parents.

Ya do this. If they say no, tell them it's like $100,000 worth of gold and you buried it deep in the back yard- good luck finding it. Then come back next week and laugh at them after they have completely torn up the yard with a backhoe.

OP
OP
C

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the current owner and it's a non-profit that provides residential treatment for mentally ill adults. Apparently, the home is staffed with two care givers and assists four adult residents. I don't know anything more other than half the garage has been converted into a padded "safety room" for when residents have "episodes". My old childhood neighbor said the occupants are very quiet and he hasn't meet the folks that live there.

I've written a letter and I mailed on 12/3. I left my home and work contact info. (I work for a fancy pants state agency so that should give me some credibility, or at least counter balance the randomness of my request.) Now I guess I'll wait a few weeks and hope I get a response. I'll try to contact them again if I don't hear anything.

I've lined up an infrared camera so that I can see through the insulation if the interior/attic heat differential is great enough. It should allow me to find the box in a couple of minutes.

I'll post more info as it becomes known!

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Catcake said:
I looked up the current owner and it's a non-profit that provides residential treatment for mentally ill adults. Apparently, the home is staffed with two care givers and assists four adult residents. I don't know anything more other than half the garage has been converted into a padded "safety room" for when residents have "episodes". My old childhood neighbor said the occupants are very quiet and he hasn't meet the folks that live there.

I've written a letter and I mailed on 12/3. I left my home and work contact info. (I work for a fancy pants state agency so that should give me some credibility, or at least counter balance the randomness of my request.) Now I guess I'll wait a few weeks and hope I get a response. I'll try to contact them again if I don't hear anything.

I've lined up an infrared camera so that I can see through the insulation if the interior/attic heat differential is great enough. It should allow me to find the box in a couple of minutes.

I'll post more info as it becomes known!

Good luck with your quest!!! Keep us posted!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread