My Minelab Sovereign GT

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
IMGP0882.jpg

IMGP0883-1.jpg

This machine cost me R11 000. 00, this also included a spare battery pack, a protector cover and a few odds and ends.

I am in the process of wanting (thinking with my brain) how to rather put the battery pack and consol in a bag on my waist, the machine gets heavy after a while of working with it, I have an old army front magazine pouch that I want to modify to wear it on my waist.

It is great to be able to share this interesting hobby with you all :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Welcome to TN....

Did yours come with the black bag, it has loops for mounting it to a belt and can be hung from your neck as well.

There are many different ways to do this, but not sure what country your in so telling you to check Lowes or home depot for a certain tool belt may not work.

How ever you wear it or hang it, make sure there is plenty of slack and no stress on the cord where it plugs into your controls

Where are you at?

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome sir and have a great time metal detecting and enjoying the hobby!! Bryan in North Carolina

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Africa!
In my humble opinion, you now own the best looking detector Minelab sells. I'm an SE fan but will eventually add the GT to my arsenal.

A question; why do the hip bag? You can invest in The Swingy Thing, solving the weight distribution problem. Plus, if you own more than one detector you could use the ST with it as well. Personally, I try not to modify the original setup on any detector as I have found much thought went into the original design; thought out by folks, a lot smarter than me. However; with a little ingenuity, you could also come up with a workable solution riveling the ST and saving yourself 30 bucks. :)

Good luck!
GRB

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGB, the hipmount bag takes a lot of weight off the arm and even a ST doesn't do that, it just helps but gets caught on brush, etc. By running the coil cable up along one side of the shaft you get more length and less strain on the arm too. The controls are right infront of your face where you can make any adjustments easy with the other hand. Think about it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Thank's for all the replys, I have used my Minelab a few times already, but surely find that my right arm gets tired with the added weight of the controls and battery, thus I am in the process of using a "patrol army bag" which I will wear around my waist with a leather belt, surely this will give me more time to be able to use the machine, about 13 weeks back I had a lower back op done to myself, had this extreme burning sensation down my right leg, numbness, and lots of pain, however to cut a long story short, I had the sciatic nerve cleaned up, it was pinched and also a small coil spring fitted with rivets between the F4 and the F5 vertebra, to give me more flexability and spring in my stride, but seriously the cusion between the two vertebre is worn out, the doc says that I have basically done 100 years of work in 42 years of age, thus I told him, hey this will look great in my CV for a job interview. :o

However we are still in the recovering period, my leg is much better, but there is still pain on my lower back, but at least I feel much better, just have to be careful what I do, bend down slowly when I dig in the ground or snow, we are now busy with winter and it sure is getting colder, this area where I live in South Africa is rather cold, it can plummet right down past zero and even down to minus 10, however out comes the coats and jackets.

We have been busy up near a small tome called Sterkstroom visiting old Boer War forts and areas where they had over 2000 soldiers camping during this period, in a few weeks time we will be visiting a farm where The Siedge of Wepener battle took place, at this farm, we know the owner, we have already found many interesting items in the past, consisting of 303 live bullets, even still in the clips, cannons, shapnel from the cannon, lots of doppies, old bayenots, parts of old rifles, buttons, badges, what actually happened, while they were fighting, it started to rain and a lot of stuff ended up been trampled into the mud and was lost.

Thus this area is a real "goldmine" there is stacks of stuff buried all over the place.

Will try and post some pic's, oh yes I live in a small town known as Queenstown, we have 5000 whites and about 200 000 blacks living in this area as well as Coloureds, Indians, Pakastinis. Iraques.

Well Thank's guys friends.

What is a ST?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Africa said:
Thank's for all the replys, I have used my Minelab a few times already, but surely find that my right arm gets tired with the added weight of the controls and battery, thus I am in the process of using a "patrol army bag" which I will wear around my waist with a leather belt, surely this will give me more time to be able to use the machine, about 13 weeks back I had a lower back op done to myself, had this extreme burning sensation down my right leg, numbness, and lots of pain, however to cut a long story short, I had the sciatic nerve cleaned up, it was pinched and also a small coil spring fitted with rivets between the F4 and the F5 vertebra, to give me more flexability and spring in my stride, but seriously the cusion between the two vertebre is worn out, the doc says that I have basically done 100 years of work in 42 years of age, thus I told him, hey this will look great in my CV for a job interview. :o

However we are still in the recovering period, my leg is much better, but there is still pain on my lower back, but at least I feel much better, just have to be careful what I do, bend down slowly when I dig in the ground or snow, we are now busy with winter and it sure is getting colder, this area where I live in South Africa is rather cold, it can plummet right down past zero and even down to minus 10, however out comes the coats and jackets.

We have been busy up near a small tome called Sterkstroom visiting old Boer War forts and areas where they had over 2000 soldiers camping during this period, in a few weeks time we will be visiting a farm where The Siedge of Wepener battle took place, at this farm, we know the owner, we have already found many interesting items in the past, consisting of 303 live bullets, even still in the clips, cannons, shapnel from the cannon, lots of doppies, old bayenots, parts of old rifles, buttons, badges, what actually happened, while they were fighting, it started to rain and a lot of stuff ended up been trampled into the mud and was lost.

Thus this area is a real "goldmine" there is stacks of stuff buried all over the place.

Will try and post some pic's, oh yes I live in a small town known as Queenstown, we have 5000 whites and about 200 000 blacks living in this area as well as Coloureds, Indians, Pakastinis. Iraques.

Well Thank's guys friends.

What is a ST? ??? ???......Swingy Thing....You hook it to your detector and to your body so your arm don't get sore ...it makes your detector lighter...........I call them swingy things ..a pain in the rear......not because they don't work good....but i try to take as little amount of things as i can get away when i go hunting... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hunt for hours with no pain using the harness, you just can't beat it when hunting the beach. You can let go of your detector and hangs by your side.

I burned a hole up high with a soldering iron tip so it sealed the hole, inserted a SS gromet and glued it there, hooked a quick D clip and I hang a frozen bottle of water from it, I have cold water with in reach always....................

lejermonModel-Sharness.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions