Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a great weekend in South Jersey getting together with NJLargeCent and GrantHansen (both of TNet)...we hunted some interesting properties and made a varied array of finds including coins, some great buttons, and interesting relics.

I found this enigmatic relic in a large field across from a church that we gained permission to. The finds in this field were sparse other than the plethora of Coke and Pepsi screw on caps and then I got a deep signal on my SE Pro. It read at 8" inches but I had to dig at least 12" to recover it. It's dimesions are approximately 3.5" long (including hinge), 1.5" tall, and 3" wide.

It appears to be a VERY (1.5 to 2 lb.) heavy hinged lid made of pewter with a beautiful floral motif on top. The first thing that came to mind was that it may have been the cover for a beer stein or a sugar dish, but the weight would seem to be quite oppressive for this application. It has some beautiful detail on it and I am posting it here first to try and get some opinions as to what it may have been part of.

I'll post a group post of my finds from the weekend and perhaps Grant will make a post of all the items we unearthed as a team. Regardless of the finds the company was great and we had a blast. One of the high points of the weekend for me was dining with the guys at an authentic English Fish & Chips House in the area that was fantastic.

Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• Lid1.jpg
    Lid1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Lid2.jpg
    Lid2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Lid3.jpg
    Lid3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Lid4.jpg
    Lid4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 3

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think it's some type of lid for an exhaust pipe, perhaps off a train? I don't know. Wild guess.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that must have been one heavy mug!

Frank

It certainly looks like a lid for a mug, but it is solid and thick pewter and it would have been quite heavy to lift such a mug (or sugar bowl, etc.). Does anyone have any provenance of any lids that had the heft that this one does? I'm assuming that this is a Colonial period item given the base metal and the patina and cracking of the metal. Hoping some Colonial experts will chime in with which half of the century it might have originated from.

Could it have been used on some sort of military related item ca the Rev. war years??

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it! It was an outdoor covering for an 18th-century electrical outlet.

Oh, wait.... Never mind.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about off a vent/pipe to a Colonial stove? It sure is old and massive for its size!

I still think it's some type of lid for an exhaust pipe, perhaps off a train? I don't know. Wild guess.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a oil lamp, based on the Roman styles of oil lamps....

SS

Attachments

• Roman%20Bee%20Oil%20Lamp.jpg
    Roman%20Bee%20Oil%20Lamp.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a oil lamp, based on the Roman styles of oil lamps....

SS

Funny, that was my first impression when I pulled it out of the ground--it does resemble an oil lamp for a "genie" , but I don't see anywhere that the flame would eminate from like in your picture.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, that was my first impression when I pulled it out of the ground--it does resemble an oil lamp for a "genie" , but I don't see anywhere that the flame would eminate from like in your picture.
Well that rules that out then, but it does look very similar...strange.

SS

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, take a look at the kettle on this colonial stove. Pretty burly if you ask me.

15314_1_4ac5b0.jpg

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me it looks like a fence, or stair post cap. Maybe the part that just out was connected to a hand rail?

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik, take a look at the kettle on this colonial stove. Pretty burly if you ask me.

I'm starting to have my doubts that it has anything to do with a stove or a pipe at this point. It very much looks like the lid for a beer stein, but it's so massive that it doesn't really make sense.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is pretty clear indication that the part that juts out and is broken was some sort of pivot for this cap to be moved from 0 to 90 degrees or so.

To me it looks like a fence, or stair post cap. Maybe the part that just out was connected to a hand rail?

Attachments

• Lid5.jpg
    Lid5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very strange and unusual find Erik. Please let us know what it is once you've determined the ID.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do Bill, but I was hoping you of all people might be able to provide some insight! :) If you don't know what it is it's gonna be a tough one to ID. What is your best guess on age given the substrate, condition, and motif?

Best, Erik

That's a very strange and unusual find Erik. Please let us know what it is once you've determined the ID.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my 2 ¢ ... too ornate and relatively soft for any sort of outside application especially, involving heat. Items of pewter were more common with folks of means. It does seem to fit the profile of some sort of lid. With the proximity to the church,it may well be connected to them. Many of those ceremonial items are out of proportion compared to "regular" household versions. Just wondering if it was part of a ceremonial mug/chalice?? Don't know the name of the device , but how bout that utensil they put incense in and wave around the casket at a funeral?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been intrigued by the piece and checking back on this Thread to see if anyone could identify it. I have had this thought from the first time I read the posted Thread and saw the pics of the item, so I am going to go out on a far limb and throw this out there. Since much of New England down to Georgia including New Jersey, saw quite a bit of action during the Revolutionary War. Germans have long had an infinity with the use of Pewter, German/Prussian Soldiers fought on both sides during the war and Germans are sticklers when it comes to keeping their' equipment and weapons clean and pristine. Therefore, I am thinking that the item is a muzzle cover for a small German cannon to keep rain, dirt and debris out of the barrel.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread