Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey y'all

In October 2011, my grandmother, Alice Vaz passed away.when I was little, I could not say "Alice" so I called her "Abba". I called her that till the day she died. I was only 12 years old at the time and was very close to her. This was 2 years ago, before I was into metal detecting. In early 2012 we sold her house that was built in 1948. Finally after lots of procrastination on my part we finally asked the new homeowner to detect the yard. I was not disappointed.

image-1273932429.jpg
6 wheaties

image-2021708344.jpg
2 old Jeffersons

image-2587499731.jpg
image-3978128590.jpg
A sterling silver little girls hair clip (lost by one of two of my aunts)

image-4087419301.jpg
A silver war Nickel

What's special about these finds is that they were all lost by my family n the 1950s.

I love you, Abba
December 21, 1924- October 27, 2011
image-3878734501.jpg

Upvote 23

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds from relatives house are always special no matter what it is. I've hunted quite a few of my ancestors homesites & cherish the finds. Thanks for sharing & HH!

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
You love the cherished memories...I think it's fantastic you do. I also love the "Found at Abba's House"; a very nice tribute! I'm sorry for your loss young man; a reminder to us all to make the most of our lives....you will touch others as she has touched you.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the special finds.. I have collected guns all my life but my most prized one is a single shot bolt action Winchester 22 that my grandfather left me.. Items left to us by our loved ones passed will never have monetary value.. Enjoy your treasures..

LaGold

May 8, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP deus and whites Mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That really awesome. I had a similar experience myself. I actually found a service award pin that belonged to my great grandfather from his work. It's was six inches under the gravel driveway.. I never had any idea where he had worked. He had the award from the louisiana forestry commission. It's always really cool to find part of your own families history... Congrats on your little part of your family history. HH from a fellow louisiana hunter

signals diggem all... LaGold

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so you are 14? is that even legal on here?

Woodsman99

Aug 3, 2011
Ontario
Wonderful and the best of memories. I purchased my lakefront property from my grandparents estate and built a home on it in 1984. Needless to say much has changed over the years. A few years ago I had a row of cerdars removed and grass seeded the area. One day I decided to use the area for some testing on the MD and got some returns that seemed to be quite large. I dug them and they were long old gate bolts. On a hot summer weekend in the early 60's my dad and I rebuilt the gates and posts and my dad must have just thrown these rusted bolts under the cedars instead of disposing of them where they wound up buried all these years. There was still some of the original paint on them. I was filled with memories of that summer weekend. Just scrap iron to most but to me a real treasure.

LaGold

May 8, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP deus and whites Mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure it's legal and I think it's great that he shares his finds with us I wish more people would share their finds with us too

signals diggem all... LaGold

OP
OP
wheatfinder13

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so you are 14? is that even legal on here?

Are you kidding me?! Why do you even care?it doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form. And yes, it is legal.....

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. it was nice that the new owners let you dig. some would not be as nice.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you kidding me?! Why do you even care?it doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form. And yes, it is legal.....

Don't really care, just makes me wish I had started younger..

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you kidding me?! Why do you even care?it doesn't
affect you in any way, shape, or form. And yes, it is legal.....

The Force is strong with this one folks!

If you are just 14 then you absolutely have my respect. You are able to write and express
yourself very well, your stories are interesting, you can compose a proper sentence or paragraph,
PLUS you can both spell and use punctuation!

Many of the adults here (some claim college degrees) can't even put together a post that isn't
loaded with typos, misspellings and often completely lacking in any format..including capital
letters or punctuation!

No doubt that the writing skills you have now will put you way ahead of your peers when it
comes time to get into college, or a career.

Well done young TH'er! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Thank you so very much for sharing your special detecting day with us! Your grandmother clearly was a woman with a beautiful spirit who will be always with you. At my 71 years old, I still well remember my great-grandmother Emma who was born in 1866. I picture her standing on her front porch in her nineties waiting for us children to come skipping up to greet her. And my amazement looking back to realize that even when ninety years old, she continued to enjoy accompanying us to the Washington zoo and to carnival rides outside the city!

Looking forward to seeing your future finds and posts. Happy Hunting!
:hello: Andi

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I lost my grandmother in August of the same year. I was your age now, and I was hit hard. The things I found in the yard of her house (which was also built in 1948) have a very special meaning to me as well. It was there that I found my first Mercury Dime!

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those treasures you found will always remind you of the real treasures you have. The memories of your loved one! At your age I would suggest you start a diary of both you MD adventures and your memories of your family. Your grand-children will enjoy reading how things were in the OLD DAYS!

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have inspired to finally approach the home owners of the property where my Dad lived when he was little. I always wanted to but for some reason I just keep driving by it. All they can do is say no. The house was built in 1914 so there is that secondary reasoning for my desire to hunt it as well!

Thanks for your story and the inspiration!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
wheatfinder13

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting