My Most Prized Possesion....

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandfather recieved these indian moccasins as a gift in 1906. In 1906 he was an 8 year old boy growing up on a ranch near Canton Oklahoma.
Next to the ranch was a settlement of Arapahoe Indians. My grandfather had several boyhood friends at the indian camp and one of his friends was
a girl who was supposed to get married in these moccasins. When the wedding day arived the moccasins would not fit! So the girl gave them to my grandfather!
Here they are, 106 years later! These moccasins will be passed down from generation to generation.....

Attachments

• Induan Moccasins 013.JPG
    Induan Moccasins 013.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 863
  • Induan Moccasins 015.JPG
    Induan Moccasins 015.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 919
  • Induan Moccasins 016.JPG
    Induan Moccasins 016.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 901
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I would NEVER consider selling those. Always keep them in the family. You have kept them in superb condition.Very nice, thanks for sharing. Old digger.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great family history! Those are in mint condition for the age. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old digger said:
If I were you I would NEVER consider selling those. Always keep them in the family. You have kept them in superb condition.Very nice, thanks for sharing. Old digger.

These moccisins will stay in the family forever! My grandfather carried these everywhere he went his whole life, until he passed away at age 95. He even carried them to Japan while serving as a Lt. Col. US Army officer while on Gen. Douglas McArthurs staff!

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wayne_sa said:
Those are beautiful. Museum quality I bet. :icon_sunny: What is the original owner's name; do you know?

The indian girls name was Gertrude. Perhaps some research can uncover more information. My grandfather documented his experiences as
a boy growing up on paper, of which I have. The father of the girl was named Young Bear, her mother was named Singing Woman.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I used to collect beaded items and those are some of the best I have seen.

The fully beaded sole is rare and fully fits with the wedding history of the piece. They weren't made for walking, usually special occasions and burial. (It's pretty obvious they weren't buried.)

I'd certainly track down the history as Gertrude should be registered. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they are older than history suggests (made 1870's or so) and probably made by a Cheyenne. The Cheyenne and Arapaho were and are closely aligned, so it is still consistent with the history you were given. They were probably an heirloom item in Gertrude's family.

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow those are amazing!!! great story,

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an heirloom to pass on to your family, should never part with those

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a picture of Gretrude that my grandfather had. I also have a message writen by grandfather about the moccasins just to add
a little more detail to the story. Thanks for all the responses all!

Attachments

• Story 001.JPG
    Story 001.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Story 002.JPG
    Story 002.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Story 003.JPG
    Story 003.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 359

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio
Cool Hand Fluke said:
wayne_sa said:
Those are beautiful. Museum quality I bet. :icon_sunny: What is the original owner's name; do you know?

The indian girls name was Gertrude. Perhaps some research can uncover more information. My grandfather documented his experiences as
a boy growing up on paper, of which I have. The father of the girl was named Young Bear, her mother was named Singing Woman.

This thread is fantastic. Thanks for showing the letter from your Grandfather.
You are keeping his memory in a wonderful way and honoring Gertrude at the same time.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions