Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'(

Larry owned 3 commercial chicken houses on the next road over from me. His Dad is the man who sold me my acerage 15 years ago.

Larry bought a New Holland tractor a few months ago----and sometime today that tractor rolled over on him and killed him. Not sure when the accident happened.

His wife went to the chicken houses at about 7 when he hadn't come home and found him dead. Alot of flashing lights at the barns and I could see alot of commotion thru the treeline on the next road at the farm.

I feel so sorry for him and his family. Larry was a good farmer and a great nice guy...only 56 or so. I enjoyed our chats and it is such a shame.

Just goes to show so many crazy accidents can happen so fast to harm someone. Just a sad day in our little farming group-- :-[

And it just makes me scared again when I think of all the farm work my husband does with our big equipment.....just puts it all in perspective for everyone to be so careful out there.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I almost lost my wife 4 years ago to a simple accident - she fell through an opening in the floor of our barns loft to the concrete floor 10 feet below. She's still recovering from the injuries she sustained that day, and will likely never be back to 100%, but at least shes still here.

Your life can be changed in the blink of an eye. Enjoy every moment, let any anger, hostilities, disappointments and frustrations pass over or through you, but get over them and leave them behind as quickly as possible.

Diggem'

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes and prayers to his family.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about Larry and am thinkin about his family. Seen a lot of farm accidents growin up; they're never pretty.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a terrible accident for your wife---and recoveries can take years obviously.....I am so glad tho she is doing better and all will turn out wonderful for you!

and thanks everyone----it was just a shock to know that he passed today. I felt like I had to say to anyone that he was just a nice guy ya know......thank you for your prayers.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about Larry. My condolences to you and his family. I too live on a farm and I'm out on the tractor bush hogging for hours at a time. I'm fortunate there's been no accidents with me or my husband. He operates the heavy equipment, but safety precautions are always on our minds operating such equipment and being around the cattle.

RR

B

Bev

I'm so sorry, that's terrible. I hope that you can be a comfort to his wife during this time and the tough months to come.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes RR safety precautions are a must around the big equip but those darn accidents happen for whatever reasons. don't know the full story and probably never will since Larry was alone when it happened and not found til night.

We have about 40 black angus right now and I have to say, those cattle are more dangerous than the equipment lol when I stand next to our bull I am amazed at his size. his head is bigger than my SUV---well not that big but it sure seems that way haha

thank you everyone for the kind words and prayers

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Condolences to the family and all who will miss him.
God was short a hand or two and it must be harvest time in Heaven. Your story proves He got one of the best.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I'm always saddened at such news . Live on a farm too . I've helped recover and bury 3 neighbors
that fell victim to similar accidents .
Survived a rollover , myself . Such a close call that I heard angel's wings flapping . A moment's lapse
is all it takes .
My prayers to the family and the community .
Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My prayers to the family and the community. I am saddened every day that I learn that someone has passed from our life to the next but know they are in a better place.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you again everyone for the acknowledgment and prayers
much appreciated

yea Tony (hubby) almost had a rollover also....I just couldn't imagine....ugh

so much in life can go wrong so fast.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
yes RR safety precautions are a must around the big equip but those darn accidents happen for whatever reasons. don't know the full story and probably never will since Larry was alone when it happened and not found til night.

We have about 40 black angus right now and I have to say, those cattle are more dangerous than the equipment lol when I stand next to our bull I am amazed at his size. his head is bigger than my SUV---well not that big but it sure seems that way haha

thank you everyone for the kind words and prayers
40 black angus? thats enough to keep you from having a saving account... ;D I always said if I ever inherited a million ,I would get into the cow business till it was all gone....just kidding.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a similar accident here. A few farmers were running a combine and when the extended the chute to load the contents into the tractor trailer it came in contact with the power line above. As family members ran to help they to got shocked and killed. Overall 3 or 4 people died. Sometimes the routine tasks become so routine you don't take a second to think.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: M

you are right but for me we are lucky....those 40 are on some big pasture. Being in NC we have super green grass right now....it will go into Dec easily. We make our own hay.....so actually it isn't that bad with these critters lol

now my friend Barb has it harder, she is dairy. Milking like 200 right now and she is pasturing in about 50 acres right now...she has to put the heifers on grass cause her farm is doing so bad. Their feed bill is like $40K per month...yea insane huh....and right now they are doing absolutely everythign they can to cut back. They only got 2 years to early retirement, 62, and Rex says he is pretty sure he is taking his SS money and running lol backbreaking work

well heck, like everyone, hard times are had by all----

good advice is I don't recommend farming for income right now hahaha

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I'm so sorry to hear about Larry. Life can be very short. We have to enjoy every day, it may be the last one. I am glad he was doing what he enjoyed doing at the time of his accident. I would rather go that way than laying in a hospital bed suffering from something, for months or years. Anyway I still feel sad for his family.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
that is very sad news. farming is very hard and dangerous work. i grew up on my grandfathers farm and have seen many close calls, infact my grandfather lost 3 fingers when his glove got stuck in the corn picker when he was tryin to unjam it, he was lucky he didn't lose his arm that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread