txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently taken up jewelry making and I quickly decided that I was drawn to the stones. It amazes me that rocks I would pass by everyday would turn into stones that make your jaw drop. One day I hope to go from buying the pieces I use to create to finding my own and cutting and polishing them. Until then here is a sample of what I am doing.

Attachments

• xmas 045 (Small).jpg
    xmas 045 (Small).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 445
  • xmas 044 (Small).jpg
    xmas 044 (Small).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 438
  • xmas 031 (Small).jpg
    xmas 031 (Small).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 446
  • xmas 040 (Small).jpg
    xmas 040 (Small).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 447
  • xmas 033 (Small).jpg
    xmas 033 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 435
  • xmas 034 (Small).jpg
    xmas 034 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 439

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hey tx, Great looking jewelry! We are opposites in the fact that my old hobby (rocks) got me interested in jewelry making. Some makers use the rocks that are common for their own areas. That is great because the resource is right in your backyard with no monetary outlay.

I started tumbling stones first and then purchased a Lortone combo unit with a trim saw, grinder/sander/polisher. I got a used flat lap and had a diamond drill given to me. I have it all in storage right now, but plan to get it set up in the near future and start cutting again.

Here in WV , about the only gemstone available is flint. The best thing about that is the fact that the flint around here comes in various colors and takes a beautiful polish. Making and marketing the local material can be a very successful venture.

Good luck in your jewelry making!

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
:o I really like the first one! ;D You make some really pretty stuff there! It will be interesting to see where you can go with all of that once you start doing your own stones!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all, the first thing I need to do is get some books, so I can Id the rocks and start my collection, then from there I will probably find someone that will cut them for me until I can get my own equipment. Someone a few posts down posted a pic of a table they inherited, I would love to be able to take rocks I collect, cut and polish and make something like that to pass down to my kids or grandkids especially if they are part of the search(gotta wait for grandkids don't have any of those yet and better not for several more years) Until then I can keep busy with jewelry and rock collecting.
Its funny because I am not a girly girl and most times the only jewelry I have is my wedding ring on. But I do so enjoy making the stuff, and I love it all and want to keep it all even though I don't wear it. I am getting over it though with each sell I make. LOL

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Keep at it, girl ; those are pretty!

I've always loved rocks ::)
An I made jewelry for years.
Sold tons of it.
I'd make something, wear it to work and take orders :wink:
Quite often it paid better then the job :thumbsup:
Caution......can be addicting :wink:
Just let your creativity flow.
PM me your address; I'll send you some rocks + books.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so addicted to that show cash and treasure now, I have the shows recorded and watch them. I am going to plan a trip this year sometime to hit one of these mine places to search for...well emeralds, amethyst, opals, gold, quartz, anything...I don't care what I find. I think it looks like too much fun and a great experience. Anyone have any place they would recommend?

Maybe I will save up my money from jewelry making to pay for the trip. I sold 5 pieces this week. Since I won't ever make any 2 alike they were hard to part with, but I get to see these people wearing them and that is cool.

Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Txkickergirl There should be a rock hound club in your area to go find rocks with .
extractor

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
You go Girl!! Nice rocks! I like em.

I guess "great minds do think alike". Metal detecting, rock hounding, arrow head hunting, jewelry making.... It is all finding treasure, and I love it all.
Ralph

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

Those are real pretty girlfriend! Rock jewlry and Rhinestones are all the rave right now...I've always wanted to design my own jewlry. What are you using to drill the holes with?

I gotta big ole 14lb chunk of silver manganese, i keep thinking about what i can make out of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Trish right now they are all predrilled. But I hope to be doing my own soon.
I am guessing with a 14lb rock you can make a lot of something. I don't know much about the different properties of rocks and minerals but if yours could be sliced in to some fingers like 1/2" x2" that would look nice kind of tribal

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

yep we need to figure out what it is you use to drill a hole through them, im thinking a small mason bit and a clamp, but i dont know.
Let me know when you find out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need a small diamond coring bit to drill the holes I am assuming its with a cordless drill because you can place the stone in a shallow dish of water that way it would help to keep the stone from cracking as the temp from the drilling rises. Something or other like that.

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Many Gem clubs have a lapidary lab and give instructions. My favorate tool is a rock saw. It never ceases to amaze me what a plain looking rock can reveal when you cut a slab from it.

Drilling can be a chore. I don't know how they do it commercially, but in my shop I use a dremel with a diamond core drill. I like 1.5 mm best but will use others depending on the size of the stone. Drill under water, use light pressure and keep lifting the bit to allow h2o to flush the hole. You don't want to overheat the bit. Even so, since most rocks used for this are very hard (7+/-) on moh's scale, you can go through bits quite quickly and at about 10 bucks a bit, it can add up.

If you are going to start wire wrapping try this site they have some instructional videos. http://wire-sculpture.com/store/index.php?p=page&page_id=Video_On_Demand

Good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one cool site, I think I need to work up to the wire wrapping, it looks like it takes a bit of skill and patience both I am lacking at the moment. I did find some cool info on the site though thanks

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

thanks for the info goldinmypan. I liked that websight too. I would like to learn the wire wrapping. Then i'll have to go out and buy some silver wire, drill, diamond bit...ect. ect. hmmm, that could get expensive, but im like you, i love seeing what the inside of a rock looks like, you just never know what your gonna find when you cut one.

How much would the cheapest rock saw cost? Price range? I have a geologist friend who just spent $10,000.00 on one, (can you imagine?) surely theres some cheaper....i hope, If not i want be buying one anytime soon thats for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang Trish, for 10K, I think he would become my very very very best friend then I wouldn't need to buy one. Surley they come cheaper..a lot hopefully. Doesn't Harbor Freight sell something for us beginners.

Upvote 0

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Nice makings there Tx.
I used to do so much rock related stuff i ran out of space in my house. I made jewlery, desk pen sets, plaques, lamps. Speaking of lamps if you ever get ahold of some very nice quality stones with superb color, have it sliced thin (1/8 - 1/4 inch) and bulid yourself a one of a kind lamp. I've even made stained glass using different rocks/gems/etc. If you cut the rocks the same thickness of regular stained glass it works just as well and can give you colors you can't copy.

I Still occassionaly look for unique stones when walking the beaches or lakes.
Lapidary equipment you can get pretty reasonably from e-bay, or just google used lapidary equipment, it brings up loads of pages to look at.

wish I had my cousins equipment he sold not too long ago, finaces just didn't mesh at the time. and so it goes.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread