My New Pastime

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it been really slow here as far as hunting goes since there aren't any fields plowed and we haven't had much rain to wash anything out of my Excavation Site I've been spending some time doing something else. My brother and I found a spot where they have exposed some Ohio Pipestone on top of a hill in our area and we picked up quite a few pieces each to see if we could make anything from it. He has made a couple of Pipes that he plans on making wooden stems for and displaying over his mantle in his house and I decided to see if I could make some animal effigies. This stuff comes in all different colors like gray, brown, tan, yellow, blue, and red. I found some nice pieces of red, brown, gray and found one piece that was kind of shaped like a turtle, so I thought what the heck and decided to see if I could actually make one. I think it turned out pretty good myself.

The first 4 pics are of the Turtle I made.
The 5th pic is a raw piece of red Pipestone.
The last 2 pics are my next project. I'm going to try to make a Buffalo out of it since it already has the rough outline.

Attachments

• April Finds017.jpg
    April Finds017.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 322
  • April Finds018.jpg
    April Finds018.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 347
  • April Finds019.jpg
    April Finds019.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 331
  • April Finds020.jpg
    April Finds020.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 342
  • April Finds021.jpg
    April Finds021.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 338
  • April Finds022.jpg
    April Finds022.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 349
  • April Finds023.jpg
    April Finds023.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 339

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, Dorkfish you are a hero.

In the (Stryker's dictionary which is not complete or published yet :D) basic meaning of the term hero--is someone who saves a life or rescues the oppressed.

Because you are projectile point finder your eye has been trained to see a piece of stone and decide if it is a geofact or an artifact. You saw that pipestone and right away you saw there was a turtle trapped in there. And you went to work and rescued it. Good thing too because that is a good looking turtle--he has some real character--some good color, almost looks as though he could start crawling, a nice loggerhead.

Now you are going to save a buffalo--yep, Hero :thumbsup:

Good on ya.

Stryker

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my progress on the Buffalo so far. I think it's coming along quite nicely, but it still has quite a ways to go though.

Attachments

• Buffalo.jpg
    Buffalo.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 273

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread