Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled my pistol, a Taurus Judge 2 weeks ago to stop an assault against me, I did not have to fire because the assault ended when the "Judge" appeared, if it did not end I would have fired, totally protect by Castle law

Different states have different laws. Pull a gun on me here in RI and you'll spend the next few years in jail. Just a heads up for TNet members. Know the rules in your state or you'll regret it for a long time..

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different states have different laws. Pull a gun on me here in RI and you'll spend the next few years in jail. Just a heads up for TNet members. Know the rules in your state or you'll regret it for a long time..
Actually conceal carry permits from other states are valid in RI. So the same laws should apply to pulling it on someone who is a threat. I know this because I travel a lot for work so I need to know where I can go with mine and where I can’t.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

You a sheriff? Judge? District attorney? Or even an attorney specializing in gun law ,or are you just talkin out cher butt as usual about firearm law?

[Or have a residence within the United States and permit/license to carry a handgun concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States.]

Or call Thomas...https://www.thomasianlaw.com/criminal-defense/assault/

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Assault me you stand a good chance of getting shot.

Your safe, I would never live in a state that does not allow their citizens to protect their lives and property. In Florida we have castle law and stand your ground law, assaulting someone in their car is same as in their home under Florida law. Police officer already told me I was justified in pulling my firearm and would have been justified in firing under Florida law.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rhode Island has the highest murder rate in New England
AP, September 25, 2017
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island has the highest murder rate in New England.

That’s according to new FBI crime statistics that found there were 29 murders in Rhode Island in 2016. Despite a slight decline from 2015, the state still had a murder rate of 2.7 per 100,000.

That gave Rhode Island the highest murder rate in the region.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunter said:

I pulled my pistol, a Taurus Judge 2 weeks ago to stop an assault against me, I did not have to fire because the assault ended when the "Judge" appeared, if it did not end I would have fired, totally protect by Castle law.

I'm glad you didn't have to shoot T.H. I abhor violence.

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

I been to FL. Had a cousin that lived and died in the sticks. He only had to call the cops once as far as I know. Right after he bought the shack and fixed it up some vagrants tried to move in thinking the place was still abandoned. He said the cops straight out told him it is stupid to live out here without a gun.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
like i said i'm too young to conceal carry that is why i take MMA and carry a big knife and go where ever my mother goes to protect her but one day i'm going to get my conceal carry license

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
like i said i'm too young to conceal carry that is why i take MMA and carry a big knife and go where ever my mother goes to protect her but one day i'm going to get my conceal carry license

You get old somehow , several hundred or more foot pounds you can carry could come in handy too...

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a nice new metal detecting buddy.Just picked it up Friday.Nice and light,rugged,perfect for woods hunting,you don't even know you're carrying it.But,she sure packs a punch. View attachment 1604875

Bulldogs are nice lightweight revolvers perfect for the role you stated...a nice woods gun. Packs a decent punch and if it gets beat up, dropped, falls out of the canoe, etc you won't lose any sleep over it. Here's mine that I keep in my small fishing boat, a First Generation 3" model from the early '70s. Great little tool. First round is #9 snake-shot and the next 4 are Buffalo Bore 200gr hard cast WC. Sent it back to Charter about 10 years ago to get re-finished.

I have quite a firearms collection, but for some reason this older, simple, inexpensive revolver is one of my favorites. I've always liked it's clean, classic lines.

2018-06-30 22.13.30.jpg

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Check your local laws first before defending yourself or family”??!!!
Laughable - really is.

The right to defend yourself is not a right granted by any government.
It’s a natural right. God-Given Right if you will.

The only time a firearm should be taken out is in a situation where a reasonable person would feel a life is in imminent danger. At that point do laws really even matter??

Trust me, most CCW holders are VERY familiar with the laws concerning use of deadly force.
Physical assault alone is generally not enough justification. Other factors such as a hammer, tire iron, baseball bat, multiple attackers, verbal intentions, home invasion, ect. all contribute to reasonable fear for loss of life.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, most lowlife muggers, rapists and killers attack from behind. So your arsenal of weapons gives you a false sense of security. What usually happens is you get hit in the head from behind, they take your cash, have their way with you and then use your gun to rob someone else the next day.

Then you were not paying enough attention to your surroundings. Better a false sense of security than a true sense of helplessness.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What? IF I got bumped and disarmed and some ne'er do well is stomping 'round with my property?

I suppose you could just wait for your serial number to turn up at a homicide scene, but I don't think think that will work for me.

I'd have to have a police report to have my insurance company reimburse me for my stolen pistol. I'd also want to let the State Police know I no longer had that pistol . . . for the above reason.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Of course I know the rules and laws of my state. Not having a RI permit and no reciprocal arrangements exist with NY & RI so I won't be carrying in RI. Or, for that matter, traveling to RI that I foresee.

NY is governed by jerks and we have uber-restrictive handgun laws so few states have reciprocity arrangements with us. Pity.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think being aware of the of what is happening to you is paramount. I would carry if it was allowed here, just in case.

Even in a highly civilized area I was surprised what you encounter if you go only a few ten meters aside the trodden path.

Look and listen first you dont have to run into a free running big dane, wild boar or detect right into the homeless camp.

It is actually one of the reason why I prefer light headphones over fully muffeled ones. I like to hear if twigs behind me are breaking.

Greets namxat.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Check your local laws first before defending yourself or family”??!!!
Laughable - really is.

The right to defend yourself is not a right granted by any government.
It’s a natural right. God-Given Right if you will.

The only time a firearm should be taken out is in a situation where a reasonable person would feel a life is in imminent danger. At that point do laws really even matter??

Trust me, most CCW holders are VERY familiar with the laws concerning use of deadly force.
Physical assault alone is generally not enough justification. Other factors such as a hammer, tire iron, baseball bat, multiple attackers, verbal intentions, home invasion, ect. all contribute to reasonable fear for loss of life.

In the state of Florida castle law extends to your personal vehicle, being physically attacked in your car is the same as in your home. Florida law states "if you reasonably believe it (use of firearm) is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. "

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think being aware of the of what is happening to you is paramount. I would carry if it was allowed here, just in case.

Even in a highly civilized area I was surprised what you encounter if you go only a few ten meters aside the trodden path.

Look and listen first you dont have to run into a free running big dane, wild boar or detect right into the homeless camp.

It is actually one of the reason why I prefer light headphones over fully muffeled ones. I like to hear if twigs behind me are breaking.

Greets namxat.

Good point on being aware of what is happening around you and not just what you are doing. Can't get out as easy once trouble really gets going as when trouble is just begining.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of these shirts I wear along with a couple that say Armed American.

Conceal Carry State Think Before You Act.jpg

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple of these shirts I wear along with a couple that say Armed American.

View attachment 1607704

I actually take a different approach and I'll explain my take on it. I never wear anything that suggests "tactical"...you know, 5.11 pants, Blackhawk or Wilderness instructor belts, etc. And I don't wear anything that says I'm pro-this or anti-that. The way I approach a possible situation with an active shooter of some type is that I don't want to make myself more of a target in any way, shape or form...I just want to blend in and appear to be a nobody until it's time to act if I'm forced to. And wearing suggestive clothing only puts me in the cross-hairs that much quicker in my opinion. Especially if the shooter decides to case the area (even for as little at 30 seconds) before acting. I know if I were playing the role of the bad guy, the first targets would be my tiny-brain instinctive ones (the larger adult males nearest to me) and then next would be those targets that indicate that they may be a threat in some other way, i.e. possibly armed.

To play devil's advocate, I suppose wearing something that suggests you may be carrying may give a bad guy a second thought before approaching you in a mugging or car-jacking situation...but I prefer to rely on my situational self-awareness of what's going on around me. I try and maintain Cooper's Condition Yellow from the moment I leave the house in the morning to the moment I return that afternoon. It's really not that hard to do after years of practice. Google Jeff Cooper's Color Code if you're interested...

So, when I'm out dressed casually, I'm just another guy with Bermuda type shorts, comfortable shoes and a nicely pressed, but un-tucked shirt. Not trying to start an argument, just stating my approach. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think about this scene from "Blade Runner" whenever you guys go on and on about your ridiculously unfounded fear of getting mugged or assaulted all the time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread