My new (used) Whites Spectrum XLT

stevefox

Nov 13, 2012
Elk County, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT and I love it.
I have been using an XLT for a long time and still impressed with it. I can't justify buying an upgrade to a V3i or even a Minelab E-trac. I did add a smaller coil for trashy areas with very good results. The JB XLT site is great and I have been using one of his coin shooter programs for years, the modifications I have made is to increase the tone volume to MAX and turning on TONE ID, TONE ID takes some getting used to but worth it IMO. Enjoy, you have a great machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using an XLT for a long time and still impressed with it. I can't justify buying an upgrade to a V3i or even a Minelab E-trac. I did add a smaller coil for trashy areas with very good results. The JB XLT site is great and I have been using one of his coin shooter programs for years, the modifications I have made is to increase the tone volume to MAX and turning on TONE ID, TONE ID takes some getting used to but worth it IMO. Enjoy, you have a great machine.

Hey if it works for u then thats great I only upgraded myself cuz I love the endless options I can do & all its features r also endless with the 3 frequecies workin for you at the same time more benefits. Its great when u come home from a hunt with a nice load of finds workin from a program u made not the factory something u spent time to figure out what was good, factory programs are very hot on all the whites but all places are different. I do agree the xlt is a great detector & will work very well with the right coil & adjustments it'll go very deep

stevefox

Nov 13, 2012
Elk County, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT and I love it.
The biggest reason I can't justify a V3i or Etrac is I have a am inherently cheap. lol.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey & thats fine comes down to. Are u enjoying what u do ? Are u finding things ? I beleive the answers are all yes so thats all that matters not who has the best machine but who can use theres & get those great finds out a top of the line machine is nothing if u dont know how to use it

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do love my XLT . Been hunting with it since 1996 . I still have yet to experiment with ( ALL ) of the controls . I usually start at a site with the coin program , then if there is not alot of trash I'll switch to coin/jewlery . If there is trash , I switch to the 5.3 coil to separate targets better . If any of you want to hunt for a DEEPLY buried cache , I also have the 25 inch coil that changes inches to feet . It's good for up to 9 feet acurately ......:laughing7:

My detecting buddy just bought the V3i last fall . He's finally getting used to it and everything the screen is telling him . He's now digging less trash and more good targets . It's kind of turning into a friendly competition . But , the XLT can still hold it's own against most machines . I do have to admit though , the V3i is very impressive .....:thumbsup:

If you have any questions about the XLT , I have the Owners Manual & Engineering Report books . Also , I believe on the JB's site , you can copy BLANK Program sheets , so you can easily fill in adjustments on the sheet for your personal custom programs . Good Luck & HH .

eagle52

Greenie
May 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only think they will do is repl. LCD because it is same on both. ( XLT is beater detector than DFX- it has beater factory priests and menus are easier) Keep your XLT as is you will not be disappointed.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Nice. I had the Whites Eagle Spectrum years ago when they came out. Had to sell it in a rough patch and have always missed it. I use buy the new machines but stopped after the Minelab Explorer II came out. Was a great looking machine i had to have, yet I would take the Spectrum or XLT over it anytime. I can't wait to get another spectrum or the XLT. Just waiting for the best price I can get lol. Then I will find out if I really did leave that silver dime buried at max depth my spectrum would reliably detect it. Have yet to fin it with any machine I've had since.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the LCD on your XLT stops working correctly, White's will replace it. The LCD for the XLT is no longer available, so White's installs the DFX LCD instead. This apparently requires the installation of a resistor to make it work. My XLT does have a DFX display in it, but other than an increased temperature operating range, I don't see any performance improvement. Without taking it apart to find a part number, you couldn't tell it's not original equipment.
Other items that are interchangeable between XLT and DFX include: case, pod, upper and lower rods, and coil mounting hardware. Arm cups, pads, and battery boxes. The display window decal, buttons, toggle switch, and headphone jack.
None of these items are going to change how your XLT operates, they are simply replacement parts that fit either the XLT or the DFX. Most will also fit the Quantum, Quantum XT, Silver Eagle and Eagle Spectrum, as well.
Finally, the "rainbow" decals are no longer available. If you need to replace the decals on your XLT control box, you can still get the gold lettered ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread