S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be interesting to know how many Nox owners here have 'dunked' their machines and how many have leaked. Let me say i'm not knocking ML as a company, they make some great machines and they are honouring the warranty and replacing the units, you can't ask for anymore than that. I will continue to use the Equinox, when it works it's a great machine, but I'm not going to dunk the replacement it to see if it leaks, I just wont take it out into the water. Maybe I've just been unlucky having two Equinox's go bad. Maybe in a year or two a better beach machine will come out. Would I have bought this machine knowing what I know now? Unfortunately no, I wouldn't be confident that the new unit wouldn't leak.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to know how many Nox owners here have 'dunked' their machines and how many have leaked. Let me say i'm not knocking ML as a company, they make some great machines and they are honouring the warranty and replacing the units, you can't ask for anymore than that. I will continue to use the Equinox, when it works it's a great machine, but I'm not going to dunk the replacement it to see if it leaks, I just wont take it out into the water. Maybe I've just been unlucky having two Equinox's go bad. Maybe in a year or two a better beach machine will come out. Would I have bought this machine knowing what I know now? Unfortunately no, I wouldn't be confident that the new unit wouldn't leak.
I dunked mine a couple of times but only about 12-18" deep. So far no leaks. I know it's not a true test but at least it is something. I plan to test it deeper soon.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you, I wouldn't actually run mine that way either because you are relying on that last o ring and who wants to hassle with making sure the connector is rinsed of salt water and dried out after submerged use, so it makes sense to add the extra protective robustness of a properly designed headphone connector. All I was trying to point out is that ML DESIGNED the detector to be able to be submerged with nothing plugged into that recessed headphone jack including that flimsy plastic screw-in dust cover. Since you've repaired your fair share Excals and other water rigs, I trust your judgment on where you are willing to roll the dice as far as watertight designs are concerned, especially on your own detector.I

I wasnt disagreeing with you, I prefer to avoid any potential problem with salt water leaks, o-rings are small and not always seated properly from factory, by bypassing you have eliminated 50% of your leak protection. The handle battery is another potential leak point. Some owners have even put silicone sealant in battery compartment over the battery entry point to protect it from potential leakage there as well sealant can be removed easily for battery replacement.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You really do want to know. If it is defective, you need them to honor that warranty should you choose to use it in the water in the future. It also helps others by giving ML the additional data point of a defective machine if that is the case so they can gey their quality control act together. Don't let minelab or your dealer off the hook. Demand excellence for your money.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really do want to know. If it is defective, you need them to honor that warranty should you choose to use it in the water in the future. It also helps others by giving ML the additional data point of a defective machine if that is the case so they can gey their quality control act together. Don't let minelab or your dealer off the hook. Demand excellence for your money.
It's good to give them all of the info you can such as how deep, how long, etc. The more they get the quicker they can find and fix the problem if they haven't already.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So you are saying I should dunk the new one? If it floods again I have to pay the return carriage and I'm without a machine again. I'm not sure I need the hassle. To use one of you guys terms, it's a bit of a crap shoot, and it shouldn't be that way.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are saying I should dunk the new one? If it floods again I have to pay the return carriage and I'm without a machine again. If it happens again I will get rid for sure. This should not be happening.

If you have to send it back, make them send you a pre-paid shipping label. I agree that you should give it a dunk and verify its functioning as warranted. If you bought a car and the transmission failed because you drove it over 55mph, would you just refuse to drive that fast with the replacement, or would you drive it as intended and make them fix it if failed again?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are saying I should dunk the new one? If it floods again I have to pay the return carriage and I'm without a machine again. I'm not sure I need the hassle. To use one of you guys terms, it's a bit of a crap shoot, and it shouldn't be that way.

Yes. In the US we deal directly with the ML repair center. They usually provide prepaid shipping to the center especially if you are just sending the head unit in for replacenent due to flooding. The dealer is out of the picture at that point.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. In the US we deal directly with the ML repair center. They usually provide prepaid shipping to the center especially if you are just sending the head unit in for replacenent due to flooding. The dealer is out of the picture at that point.

I think I will ring the UK Minelab repair centre on Monday for their thoughts, I can also inform them on what my dealer told me about the machine not being covered if used with wired headphones.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dunked mine a little bit for two seasons now. I have found that the internal speaker will sometimes not function properly or at all after a full soaking. I dont like hunting beyond waist deep water anyway so I try not to submerge my unit at all anymore. I can just use Bluetooth if that happens on a hunt anyway

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dunked mine a little bit for two seasons now. I have found that the internal speaker will sometimes not function properly or at all after a full soaking. I dont like hunting beyond waist deep water anyway so I try not to submerge my unit at all anymore. I can just use Bluetooth if that happens on a hunt anyway

For the speaker issue, which is normal btw, the unit just needs to be burped to relieve pressure through the one way valve that protects the Equinox internal seals from water pressure. Calabash posted a video on how to do this or you can just let the pressure dissipate over time if you don't use the speaker. Not a reason to avoid using the unit the way you want as you are not causing damage.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the speaker issue, which is normal btw, the unit just needs to be burped to relieve pressure through the one way valve that protects the Equinox internal seals from water pressure. Calabash posted a video on how to do this or you can just let the pressure dissipate over time if you don't use the speaker. Not a reason to avoid using the unit the way you want as you are not causing damage.
We shouldnt have to disassemble our machines. Its a design flaw if you ask me but good to know its not doing damage

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does anyone actually use the internal speaker? :dontknow:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We shouldnt have to disassemble our machines. Its a design flaw if you ask me but good to know its not doing damage

Like I said, it will dissipate slowly over time without doing anything, so no need to diassemble your machine unless there is some pressing reason you need to use the speaker right after this happens. So not a design flaw, it is the method ML chose to use to provide watertight protection at pressure without permanently damaging the speaker or detector.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the time when its not windy or otherwise loud around

I typically avoid using it as announcing my presence is the last thing I want to do while detecting. No need for curiosity seekers wondering what I'm doing or causing annoyance to others sharing the beach etc.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I typically avoid using it as announcing my presence is the last thing I want to do while detecting. No need for curiosity seekers wondering what I'm doing or causing annoyance to others sharing the beach etc.

Of course if Im near people Ill use headphones but that’s rarely the case in a farm field or along the river

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, I was thinking beach water detecting. If the speaker locks up then I guess your only option is headphones until the pressure relieves on its own. I tend to usually relic detect with friends, so speakers are off.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, you don't announce your presence?, are you forgetting about throwing your metal handle shovel in the woods onto the rocks last spring and it going BANG! Repeatedly? rofl

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve had my 800 underwater and have experienced no leaks. Yet..
Mine is an early purchase in 2018. So not all are leaking. When I have had it under water for 30 min. I let it air dry in the sun and seem to have no issues. Yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread