May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research some time ago & asked my newbie friend to look into it. He came back with permission & today told me the Wheat had been harvested. He could not make it, but Dad & I went out for 2 hours.

We had never done this field, so we tracked down the lead :wink: After finding it, we just did the tracks as the stubble was terrible. Dad had 3 roman coins before I had another find of a lifetime!

Celtic Gold Stater:
South Ferriby Type 45-10BC
- My oldest coin (Dad has one Roman Silver from 48BC), so not the teams oldest ::)

Horse with six sided star.
Obverse die of Apollo which has been used until completely obliterated, & the books quote 'some show almost plain obverse' - which this is!

3rd Gold Coin of the Year - Words are now difficult to explain the year I'm having :o

Also a Todur Book Clasp
1723 Irish Halfpenny - looks good when wet, can read it all - not had this date
4 Roman Coins
Bronze Slag
Very Large Victorian Fire surround - I think :dontknow: Big enough to think the site has not been hit to hard, if at all!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,495
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Oldest Coin EVER!

Cru, nothing left to say but Congratulations on another dream find!!!

Don

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG on your oldest coin. :icon_thumleft: Not to bust you bubble, but we would have the same finds if we were settled centuries earlier. :laughing9:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

No stopping you Cru at the moment :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:. That South Ferriby uniface stater as travelled some distance to turn up in Essex.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
Well, once you're on top of the world where else will you go?

Unbelievable.

Send the next gold my way, if it's one of those "new" 18th or 19th c. ones.

I will never sell, but the funny thing is, this coin is worth a similar amount as the last Georgian one ???

I wasn't asking to buy. I want you to send the next one telepathically to Kentucky underneath my searchcoil. ;D

So I guess you've had too many Celtic Gold Staters on the banner lately. Maybe the mods are bored with having them up there?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED:

Thanks for details of the Corieltavian stater. It's a plated contemporary forgery rather than a genuine example of VA 811-3, hence the low weight and bronze core showing through; the genuine ones of this type are usually around 5.5g. There are six gold examples of this type in the online Index; from memory there are a handful of plated copies known and a few more genuine coins that aren't on the internet.

Above is the details of my 'fake' Celtic Coin. Its now our first fake of this period, & actually makes it rarer than the real thing. So I'm happy to ponder why & under what circumstances it ended up in this field. The puzzell will continue as we discover more stuff. 8)

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sweet find regardless - I wonder what the penalty for making forgerys was back in those days - thrown to wild beasts?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry_Morant said:
A sweet find regardless - I wonder what the penalty for making forgerys was back in those days - thrown to wild beasts?

Sounds Roman, this was pre-Roman. Thrown to the bog :D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

Thanks for details of the Corieltavian stater. It's a plated contemporary forgery rather than a genuine example of VA 811-3, hence the low weight and bronze core showing through; the genuine ones of this type are usually around 5.5g. There are six gold examples of this type in the online Index; from memory there are a handful of plated copies known and a few more genuine coins that aren't on the internet.

Above is the details of my 'fake' Celtic Coin. Its now our first fake of this period, & actually makes it rarer than the real thing. So I'm happy to ponder why & under what circumstances it ended up in this field. The puzzell will continue as we discover more stuff. 8)
Can't see what's rare about it being plated :icon_scratch: there are a least six on UKFD base, and I have seen quite a few on ebay recently :icon_scratch:

SS.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

Can't see what's rare about it being plated :icon_scratch: there are a least six on UKFD base, and I have seen quite a few on ebay recently :icon_scratch:

SS.

Rarer than the real thing. (doesn't make it worth much)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

SS.

Rarer than the real thing. (doesn't make it worth much)
It's just a way of scrimping on a valuable commodity, it's been done right through the ages ::)

SS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread