May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research some time ago & asked my newbie friend to look into it. He came back with permission & today told me the Wheat had been harvested. He could not make it, but Dad & I went out for 2 hours.

We had never done this field, so we tracked down the lead :wink: After finding it, we just did the tracks as the stubble was terrible. Dad had 3 roman coins before I had another find of a lifetime!

Celtic Gold Stater:
South Ferriby Type 45-10BC
- My oldest coin (Dad has one Roman Silver from 48BC), so not the teams oldest ::)

Horse with six sided star.
Obverse die of Apollo which has been used until completely obliterated, & the books quote 'some show almost plain obverse' - which this is!

3rd Gold Coin of the Year - Words are now difficult to explain the year I'm having :o

Also a Todur Book Clasp
1723 Irish Halfpenny - looks good when wet, can read it all - not had this date
4 Roman Coins
Bronze Slag
Very Large Victorian Fire surround - I think :dontknow: Big enough to think the site has not been hit to hard, if at all!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,495
Upvote 0
Re: My Oldest Coin EVER!

Cru, nothing left to say but Congratulations on another dream find!!!

Don

WTG on your oldest coin. :icon_thumleft: Not to bust you bubble, but we would have the same finds if we were settled centuries earlier. :laughing9:

No stopping you Cru at the moment :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:. That South Ferriby uniface stater as travelled some distance to turn up in Essex.

CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
Well, once you're on top of the world where else will you go?

Unbelievable.

Send the next gold my way, if it's one of those "new" 18th or 19th c. ones.

I will never sell, but the funny thing is, this coin is worth a similar amount as the last Georgian one ???

I wasn't asking to buy. I want you to send the next one telepathically to Kentucky underneath my searchcoil. ;D

So I guess you've had too many Celtic Gold Staters on the banner lately. Maybe the mods are bored with having them up there?

UPDATED:

Thanks for details of the Corieltavian stater. It's a plated contemporary forgery rather than a genuine example of VA 811-3, hence the low weight and bronze core showing through; the genuine ones of this type are usually around 5.5g. There are six gold examples of this type in the online Index; from memory there are a handful of plated copies known and a few more genuine coins that aren't on the internet.

Above is the details of my 'fake' Celtic Coin. Its now our first fake of this period, & actually makes it rarer than the real thing. So I'm happy to ponder why & under what circumstances it ended up in this field. The puzzell will continue as we discover more stuff. 8)

A sweet find regardless - I wonder what the penalty for making forgerys was back in those days - thrown to wild beasts?

Harry_Morant said:
A sweet find regardless - I wonder what the penalty for making forgerys was back in those days - thrown to wild beasts?

Sounds Roman, this was pre-Roman. Thrown to the bog :D

CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

Thanks for details of the Corieltavian stater. It's a plated contemporary forgery rather than a genuine example of VA 811-3, hence the low weight and bronze core showing through; the genuine ones of this type are usually around 5.5g. There are six gold examples of this type in the online Index; from memory there are a handful of plated copies known and a few more genuine coins that aren't on the internet.

Above is the details of my 'fake' Celtic Coin. Its now our first fake of this period, & actually makes it rarer than the real thing. So I'm happy to ponder why & under what circumstances it ended up in this field. The puzzell will continue as we discover more stuff. 8)
Can't see what's rare about it being plated :icon_scratch: there are a least six on UKFD base, and I have seen quite a few on ebay recently :icon_scratch:

SS.

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

Can't see what's rare about it being plated :icon_scratch: there are a least six on UKFD base, and I have seen quite a few on ebay recently :icon_scratch:

SS.

Rarer than the real thing. (doesn't make it worth much)

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
UPDATED:

SS.

Rarer than the real thing. (doesn't make it worth much)
It's just a way of scrimping on a valuable commodity, it's been done right through the ages ::)

SS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back