my oldest find to date.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Got this cream and sugar set in a lot for $10. Made by the Ohio Valley Potery circa 1887. Looks like they were gold trimed at one time but most has since worn off.

Also in the lot was this pair of busts. They are unglazed above a cobalt gold trimed base. 51/2" tall. There is a "N" inscribed on the rear just above the base. Any help with the age or maker of them would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 439

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
goldinmypan said:
Got this cream and sugar set in a lot for $10. Made by the Ohio Valley Potery circa 1887. Looks like they were gold trimed at one time but most has since worn off.

Also in the lot was this pair of busts. They are unglazed above a cobalt gold trimed base. 51/2" tall. There is a "N" inscribed on the rear just above the base. Any help with the age or maker of them would be appreciated.
I'm sure Diggumup, will know what they are

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild looking cream and surgar set. Must have been some good times in 1887, nothing like a Potery Party.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The busts appear to be a reproduction of French Limoge biscuit ware, the subject matter I believe is of Louise and Alexandre Brongniart, children of French architect Alexandre-Theodore Brongniart. That is if the one on the right is a girl (can't tell from the front of the pic, have to see the hair in back). The mark may represent NEVERS France, though i'm not too familiar with French Porcelain. I'm more into American Art Pottery and such.

The creamer and sugar were made in Wheeling W.V. by the Ohio Valley China Co. (aka- Ohio Valley Pottery) which later became Homer Laughlin China Co.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
The busts appear to be a reproduction of French Limoge biscuit ware, the subject matter I believe is of Louise and Alexandre Brongniart, children of French architect Alexandre-Theodore Brongniart. That is if the one on the right is a girl (can't tell from the front of the pic, have to see the hair in back). The mark may represent NEVERS France, though i'm not too familiar with French Porcelain. I'm more into American Art Pottery and such.

The creamer and sugar were made in Wheeling W.V. by the Ohio Valley China Co. (aka- Ohio Valley Pottery) which later became Homer Laughlin China Co.
I knew you would come thru Digs, I have full trust in you...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread