My OLDEST SILVER COIN YET!!! A 1708 Georg Ludwig PLUS some confederate lead!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out to the same area I found my 1857 seated half dime last friday and boy did it pay off! I started off finding a .58 cal. gardner bullet, then a round ball. Kept working the area and got a really bouncy signal. Dug down, found a nice dropped 3 ringer. Covered the hole and got another high tone, but jumpy. Another 3 ringer...covered the hole and STILL another signal. Dug it out and it looks to be a tool of some sort and I'm guessing it's period to the 3 ringers. Anyone know what it is? So after that I continued on my way, which was about 2 feet from those bullets I found a coin. I didn't think this was a coin at first...it is THIN and thought it was a token at first. Well, I got home and cleaned it up and it is a 1708 2 Mariengroschen - Georg Ludwig silver coin! Only made 1706-1708 and according to the numista website it has a rarity of 97 out a 100, 100 being very rare!!! Unfortunate that it has been holed, but it is still a pretty awesome find and I've personally never seen one posted on here.

After that I found another round ball and a bullet that I've never seen. It's pictured in the top right corner of the picture. If anybody can I.D. it, I would appreciate it greatly! Man, this was another KILLER hunt! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 436.jpg
    Metal Detecting 436.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 181
  • Metal Detecting 437.jpg
    Metal Detecting 437.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Metal Detecting 438.jpg
    Metal Detecting 438.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Metal Detecting 439.jpg
    Metal Detecting 439.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 253
  • Metal Detecting 440.jpg
    Metal Detecting 440.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Metal Detecting 441.jpg
    Metal Detecting 441.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Metal Detecting 442.jpg
    Metal Detecting 442.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Metal Detecting 443.jpg
    Metal Detecting 443.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 8
No, I see your point my good man! I thought the site was accurate and thanks for pointing it out. But like I said in my first post, I said I have never seen one posted. Not saying NOW that it is a RARE coin in general, but it is rare to find. Now answer my other question!! lol

I guess you could say that's a pet peeve of mine because there has been certain people over the years who really push the "rare to find" and have many people believing their digs are something they are not. I know that is not your intention, because if it was we'd probably be an an argument right now. :laughing7: Plus you don't have to do it anyway because judging by what you have dug already you have many good things to come, and will probbaly come up with something rare and not just rare to dig. The secret is to keep digging lots of old targets, because when you do something great will jump out one day.

I guess you could say that's a pet peeve of mine because there has been certain people over the years who really push the "rare to find" and have many people believing their digs are something they are not. I know that is not your intention, because if it was we'd probably be an an argument right now. :laughing7: Plus you don't have to do it anyway because judging by what you have dug already you have many good things to come, and will probbaly come up with something rare and not just rare to dig. The secret is to keep digging lots of old targets, because when you do something great will jump out one day.

No need to argue, you seem to know what you're talking about. This is a great find to me nonetheless, no matter the rarity(dug or not). :) Just when I think I can't top my oldest coin and I do, it's pretty cool!

No need to argue, you seem to know what you're talking about. This is a great find to me nonetheless, no matter the rarity(dug or not). :) Just when I think I can't top my oldest coin and I do, it's pretty cool!

I like different too because I have dug a lot of the same stuff over and over. Never found a German silver coin though, and only one copper that I can think of. But I also have finds that most others haven't found, it's just how it goes when you dig the old sites and is why i like them so much.

Nice Find hole and all!!

Agreed. And there is A LOT of property to cover here...so who knows what will pop up next.

great hunt....to bad the silver has a hole in it.....but nice

Thanks for looking.

Video from that day.

Thanks bud. These were found in boyce, Va though. Would love to hook up sometime. HH

Nice find Matt!! Whether it's rare or not on the world market, it's rare around these parts! It's a 1708 colonial siver coin and your oldest!! It would probably be my oldest silver coin if I had found it (I have a cob where there is some uncertainty to the date). Maybe it was lost by a Hessian prisoner of war during the Revolution - there were some inyour area.

Well that would be cool! It was beside cw bullets, but that doesn't mean it was dropped the same time period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back