Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've heard of ARA numerous times on this forum, and after finding an exact address... I made plans to go to their office for a personal visit when I got my next trip home from being abroad. Since I have a home in the Dallas area, I knew round-a-bouts where it was. My first objective was to LEARN while there. My second objective was to either sell or to have them pour me a small bar.

I showed up, talked to a friendly older gentleman who I spoke with on the phone a couple days prior to (sorry, I have his name wrote down on a paper at home), and he took me through the whole operation... from the time material shows up, all the way to the end. At each stage of the process, (weighing, acid bath, separation, stone sorting), I got to meet and talk with the people involved in those processes as well. I was impressed. They even take the time to take your diamonds from the acid bath and run them through another type of acid to determine if they're real or not. These stones are then hand separated, bagged individually, and returned directly to you indicating the real and fake diamonds. Nice touch there.

There was a LOT of gold there, so I can see how busy they can be. What we consider a bunch of money is peanuts to the size of the "buttons" they were melting and pouring. It seems that the "Cash for Gold" business is doing extremely well, and according to him, that's how a lot of pawn shops are staying alive right now.

They can do a lot of different things for their customers... if you just want your gold refined and returned to you, they can do it. He even said that he could melt and pour a small bar if I wanted.. and even stamp and mark it with purity etc. Most times if a customer wants their gold back, they just shot it out and send it back in that form. That was pretty cool.

So after all of this show and tell, I pulled out my modest amount of gold and platinum that I wanted to sell to them. I decided not not pour the bar, because I wanted to see how close they would pay to what I thought they should... and report my findings here for you to decide.

He did his thing, weighed me in, and gave me a drop off invoice for what he took in... weight in dwt... not grams. Seems their software is set up for pennyweights... but whatever.

I had a good idea of what to expect when the check arrived... and about 5 days later I get an envelope with a check for $1,638 and that's darn close to what I was expecting. Not only that, but my diamonds were given back to me as well. All real with no fakes.
But what needs to be said is that they pay based on the final refined sponge weight... not what gets weighed in at the door. There are the usual losses when refining, and for these guys to pay 98% for gold and 80% for platinum, I'm not complaining. I didn't have much plat anyway.

But I have to also say that our metal detecting hobby was actually mentioned by one of the guys there. He said, "Oh yeah. We get a LOT of business from those guys" to which I replied, "That's how I found that platinum ring".

It was a good experience, and I learned a lot about the process and such. They treated me like a valued customer even after seeing my pittance of gold... and I admired that. But it boils down to this...Would I do business with them again? YES

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Having always heard about this place, but never reading about someone actually going there in person... I figured that I would pull some recon and not only visit, but also have some one-on-one time to ask a lot of questions and get a personal tour.

I know that it helped me understand the time it takes to refine gold, what's involved, the attention to detail involved (separating diamonds into real and fake piles is VERY tedious btw). I just wanted to share my personal experience and gut feelings with everyone here.

And as it turned out, I didn't feel like I got jerked around either. I was treated very fairly.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never got to visit ARA in person but I can vouch for their good and honest service.

Are you in the military in Okinawa? That island is on my list of places to hit. Ever do any detecting in some of the caves? Or are they off limits. I hear the culture and food is a lot different than the rest of Japan.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cyberdan said:
Never got to visit ARA in person but I can vouch for their good and honest service.

Are you in the military in Okinawa? That island is on my list of places to hit. Ever do any detecting in some of the caves? Or are they off limits. I hear the culture and food is a lot different than the rest of Japan.

I'm not in the military, but rather, a contractor working on Kadena. I have a 2 year contract here, and have only been here 6 months.

I don't do any cave hunting... yet. Not sure how that goes around here. I met a guy online (who lives here) before I arrived, and we're avid hunting buddies. He's a valuable asset to have since he's an American who speaks fluent Japanese. Mainly we just hunt the beaches around the island, and even those have been hit a few times by other GIs that have rotated through here, it's still a gold mine that produces every time I go out. Sometimes it's slim picking, but you always come away with gas money considering this country's coinage and the strong yen.
In the 15 or so times I've hunted, my log book shows about 6 silver rings, 1 gold 18k ring, 1 8 gram platinum ring (that i sold), and about 25,000 yen ($312). It's more than paid for my new Infinium... and I'm just getting warmed up.
It's definitely a place to visit if you get a chance to go. I could show you some great ramen places... and if you don't know the fascination with a good bowl of ramen... you'll see why.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
and about 25,000 yen ($312). It's more than paid for my new Infinium... and I'm just getting warmed up.
It's definitely a place to visit if you get a chance to go. I could show you some great ramen places... and if you don't know the fascination with a good bowl of ramen... you'll see why.
I call Japan the land of the coin thrower and your 25000 yen proves that.
Yes, ramen is good. Have you tried tanmen? (not sure of spelling, ramen with strips of pork on top) I have lots of family in Kofu.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question about ARA. From the time you mail out your goods, how long until you get a check?

I know times vary, but what is a rough time frame?

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SeaninNH said:
I have a question about ARA. From the time you mail out your goods, how long until you get a check?

From what I was told... once they take your material in, it takes about 3 days to refine it to a sponge. But that's subjective to work load and such. Once they get it to a sponge, they pay on that day based on the market (unless I'm confused on that part. It could be when they book it in).

Mailing time from you to them varies, of course... so add 3-5 days for processing, then add mail time for a check back to you.... and once again, that varies. Since I live in Dallas, they had my material that I dropped off (no mailing time), and I had a check 5 days from then. I'm figuring 3 days "processing" time and 2 days of mailing a check from one side of Dallas to the other.
My assumption would be 5 days to get your material to them... add 4 days to refine it..... then add another 5 days to get a check. Just a guess tho

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good and bad luck with ARA.
Most of the stuff that i sent in , I had good service but awhile back I sent in quite a bit of silver and i threw in two small pieces of gold at the last minute in a small baggie but i forgot to put them on the list. When I called them about the gold, i was told that " they don't look through the lot they just throw it in a box and then process it." This seems strange since they pulled out a clad dollar and sent it back to me.
Someone looked at the lot and I guess that they helped themselves to my gold since I didn't list it.
It was not much but since I have been unemployed for over a year, it was important to me.
No offer to look into my problem, Just told me that they couldn't look at everything. What a cop out.

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
Sorry you had a problem with ARA. I started selling to them several years ago and have had really good service. I have recommended them to several of my water hunting friends and all have been satisfied with their dealings. Some of the deals were for many thousands of dollars and were as accurate as we expected. I also have had the stones returned, mostly too small to be valuable, but yesterday I replaced a diamond in my boss lady's ring with one I got back. Made some brownie points, lol.
Years ago I sent some sample rings to the television guys and got back about 10 to 20% of the value. Shipped to Kitco for a number of years, then found ARA. I may stop there on my way back from Arizona this spring. Long post, 'nuff said.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have taken gold by there they have let me choose to lock in the price for that day or take my chances for the day it is done. I have always locked in just so I know what to expect.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
SeaninNH said:

Only used them once, smoking fast check in the mail...

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bobby pins. I just wanted to know exactly how many grams of gold did you sell to them. I know you had some platnium in the mix. But I never used ARA and wanted to see if you got like paid 92% or 95% Gold HALLMARK. seeing how ARA pays you 98% True melt value...including gold stuck in the pouring process etc..
thanks

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
blai745 said:
hey bobby pins. I just wanted to know exactly how many grams of gold did you sell to them. I know you had some platnium in the mix. But I never used ARA and wanted to see if you got like paid 92% or 95% Gold HALLMARK. seeing how ARA pays you 98% True melt value...including gold stuck in the pouring process etc..
thanks

I had a lot (a lot for my standards) of misc 10K to 18K gold that I have bought off of people needing cash. I had a charm bracelet that I picked up for a good deal that was 10K chain but had 14k charms attached to it. For me to break it down and weigh each and every piece was impossible. Well... not impossible, just tedious... and I decided not to do that. I paid 10K price for it, so I knew I was on the winning side of the equation.

I have a detailed drop-off report, but since I'm in Okinawa, I don't have that with me. I know that I had an 8 gram PT 900 ring, and they pay 80% for Pt. I wish I could help you out in detail, but my memory isn't that great. I know I paid around $800 for what I dropped off, and I had a good "estimate" for what to expect based on a reasonable assumption. My number was $1600-$1700 and they hit it right in the middle. But since they pay on sponge weight, I had to account for a loss... and after seeing how they process, I can see why. There's just some things you just can't avoid.

I asked the same question... how do you make a profit if you're paying 98% of spot? The answer lies in the (what's the word here... silver chloride?) The alloyed metal that's in any karat gold. They don't pay you for that, and that's fine. I buy my stuff based soley on the gold content. Anything else is minimal to me. And since I pick up the great deals, I'm not worrying about the minimal loss of alloy. PLUS... they deal in volume.

I wish I could help answer your question better, but I'm in Okinawa now, and my drop off paper is at home in Texas. But I can tell you that I'd send them some stuff again in the future.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
oldgold said:
I have had good and bad luck with ARA.
Most of the stuff that i sent in , I had good service but awhile back I sent in quite a bit of silver and i threw in two small pieces of gold at the last minute in a small baggie but i forgot to put them on the list. When I called them about the gold, i was told that " they don't look through the lot they just throw it in a box and then process it." This seems strange since they pulled out a clad dollar and sent it back to me.
Someone looked at the lot and I guess that they helped themselves to my gold since I didn't list it.
It was not much but since I have been unemployed for over a year, it was important to me.
No offer to look into my problem, Just told me that they couldn't look at everything. What a cop out.
I haven't read all the way through to see if I'm duplicating what someone else has said. So here goes:

When you're refining, there's often a bit of gold mixed with silver, as well as silver and platinum mixed in gold. They pay 98% on gold, but the silver and platinum "impurities" are their bonus. Likewise with silver: they get to keep the gold and platinum impurities. If everything went into the 7 day silver bath, they get the gold. I guess they also have a 3-day "clean gold" bath and a 7-day "dirty gold" bath, and I don't know what for platinum.
Here is the enclosure I sent in my last package; I was hoping for about $800, came away w/$636 . . . $450 silver, $186 gold. It paid for my AT Pro.
-------------------------------------
American Recycling Associates
2431 Walnut Ridge St.
Dallas, TX 75229

Hello,

Please find the following enclosed:
In the large bag;
• 313.8 dwt sterling scrap, some stones.
• 39.7 dwt 80% silver scrap.
In the small bag;
• 2.3 dwt approx. 14k gold bracelet.
• 1.2 dwt approx 18k bracelet part.
• 62.3 dwt approx. mixed 1/10 1/20 gold-filled w/enamel.

The karat and filled gold are in the same bag.

Please send a check to: . . . . Batcap
---------------------

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
SeaninNH said:

Their web site quotes turnaround times, less time "in the mail": 3 days for clean gold, 7 for dirty, 7 for silver. . .

ihazboat

Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried NTR Metals for Gold and/or Silver Refining? I found some good references to them on Reddit.

I believe this is their main site.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have taken gold by there they have let me choose to lock in the price for that day or take my chances for the day it is done. I have always locked in just so I know what to expect.

Just for reference, silver is different. "Wayne" is a fellow that works there at ARA....He said that when the silver is "checked in" and any stones are removed, that the "Silver price given is what it is on the end of that "checked in" day". No other choice for silver.

krbtrans

Greenie
May 4, 2011
I was wondering how much they would charge to pour a bar for someone.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how much they would charge to pour a bar for someone.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

You're only asking them to refine your silver. They charge 10% to refine silver.

Shouldn't cost anything above that.....if their assay is right.... and if their scales are right.... and if their integrity is represented on each and every customer's batch sent to them.

Let the Forum know if you do and what happened, please.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread