My plans for getting started - feedback/advice appreciated!

Chihlidog

Feb 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a complete newcomer to this hobby, I dont even have a metal detector yet. I'm leaning towards an Ace 250, but wont be ordering for another week or 2 so that could change based on research/feedback between now and then. I'd like to keep the budget as small as possible, so is there any other detector you guys would recommend for say 250 or under? I'm looking for anything, really. Coins, jewelry, artifacts, anything of interest or value. I've done a lot of reading over the last week or so and based on that the 250 seems to be the best bang for the buck machine but I'm definitely open to advice from all of you.

I've started planning for potential sites. My house was built in 1890, so obviously my yard is going to be the first place I start. I've got a baseball diamond and a city park with a tot lot and some nice woods behind it that's within walking distance.

I have also found out that there was an amusement park in my neighborhood built around 1909, I have found the site and can access it, again within walking distance. I have high hopes for this area as a large portion of it appears not to have been built over since the park came down. I feel pretty fortunate to have what I think should be some great sites so close to me. Any tips for hunting old amusement parks? Anything not so obvious there that might be of interest? Old coins and maybe some jewelry are what I'd expect but no idea other than that.

I live in PA and as such, there are plenty of Revolutionary War and Civil War sites not far from me, eventually I'd like to find some that are accessible and see what I could find there but that's for the future. Any advice is welcome, the finds I see on this forum are simply incredible and I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully soon enough showing off some cool finds.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! Ace 250 would be a fantastic machine for you to learn. You could also look at the Tesoro Compadre ($160.00). Get yourself a Lesche digging tool (about $45.00 shipped), some kneepads at the garden section of Walmart and some gloves. You can start with a tie-on nail bag as a finds pouch. Good Luck!

Chihlidog said:
I'm a complete newcomer to this hobby, I dont even have a metal detector yet. I'm leaning towards an Ace 250, but wont be ordering for another week or 2 so that could change based on research/feedback between now and then. I'd like to keep the budget as small as possible, so is there any other detector you guys would recommend for say 250 or under? I'm looking for anything, really. Coins, jewelry, artifacts, anything of interest or value. I've done a lot of reading over the last week or so and based on that the 250 seems to be the best bang for the buck machine but I'm definitely open to advice from all of you.

I've started planning for potential sites. My house was built in 1890, so obviously my yard is going to be the first place I start. I've got a baseball diamond and a city park with a tot lot and some nice woods behind it that's within walking distance.

I have also found out that there was an amusement park in my neighborhood built around 1909, I have found the site and can access it, again within walking distance. I have high hopes for this area as a large portion of it appears not to have been built over since the park came down. I feel pretty fortunate to have what I think should be some great sites so close to me. Any tips for hunting old amusement parks? Anything not so obvious there that might be of interest? Old coins and maybe some jewelry are what I'd expect but no idea other than that.

I live in PA and as such, there are plenty of Revolutionary War and Civil War sites not far from me, eventually I'd like to find some that are accessible and see what I could find there but that's for the future. Any advice is welcome, the finds I see on this forum are simply incredible and I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully soon enough showing off some cool finds.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All top brand name detectors are good! just remember the practice & learning your detector is where its at.....also dont forget to get a pinpointer (They are a big timesaver on digging) garret makes 1 of the best (propointer) & good luck at your new hobby.......Its very addicting!

OP
OP
C

Chihlidog

Feb 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys. Very much looking forward to getting out there. Looks like I'm getting my tax refund a bit earlier than I expected so I'll be ordering on Tuesday! Hopefully I'll be using it the following weekend!

Really great forum here, glad to be a part of it!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
spread some crap on clean pavement, nickels pulltabs silver copper rust. Learn the tones, concentrate on signals that are strong and repeatable. Use low sense and high scrim at first, until you have dug at least fifty clad. Then you are off and running for the deepies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread