My Pro-Bono work. Helping the little guy out (Electronics)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
(This is an Electronics discussion. Sorry).

I recently got a request to work on, and fix a product that had EMI problems and he couldn't get it into market because of that. I learned that he was just an average Joe trying to make a place in this world, with something that he put all his efforts into, and was currently at his wits end with money and other issues.

I told him I'd help him out free of charge. This was after I saw the current product, and learned that he had hired some cheap overseas labor to design it for him. I mean, the work that they did was absolutely horrible (Decoupling caps don't belong 2 inches away from the pin it's needing to serve).

He is greatly appreciative for my help. And one night on the phone, when he asked me about my motive, I told him it was because -after you make a million dollars, you can remember the good people that helped you out along the way.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was really nice of you Mike! I think we're all given a certain measure of knowledge & wisdom, and I think it's a great thing when we're able to use it to help others... so good on you!! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
This guy had a new electronic product and he just let you view it and work on it without first signing a non-disclosure agreement? Something smells fishy about this story. More details, please...

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Mike didnt say it was a new product as in a new invention (who in
there right mind would send an invention to asia to be worked on).
I suggest it was just one of a million variations on a know product
that pop up each year.
My guess is that it was a power supply.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Arizona Bob said:
This guy had a new electronic product and he just let you view it and work on it without first signing a non-disclosure agreement? Something smells fishy about this story. More details, please...

Pigs right. It's a class D audio amp that anybody can build from an existing chip (a rather old chip actually). He just had all sorts of issues. But, I made him feel extra special by signing an NDA for him anyway. This was of course after I told him that I would many times... just to make him feel better.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mikeofaustin said:
Arizona Bob said:

Pigs right. It's a class D audio amp that anybody can build from an existing chip (a rather old chip actually). He just had all sorts of issues. But, I made him feel extra special by signing an NDA for him anyway. This was of course after I told him that I would many times... just to make him feel better.
It's important to give encouragement to the young.
How little they get in schools and homes these days.
The suicide rate has to be decreased.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
pygmy said:
mikeofaustin said:
Arizona Bob said:

It's important to give encouragement to the young.
How little they get in schools and homes these days.
The suicide rate has to be decreased.

Well, to be devils advocate, you could say that the earth is already over populated and we would be better off with a lot less people in this world. (just the advocate here).

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
This smacks of elitism and leads onto a whole bunch of other
unwholesome 'isms that usually cohabit in the same host like
parasites.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
pygmy said:
This smacks of elitism and leads onto a whole bunch of other
unwholesome 'isms that usually cohabit in the same host like
parasites.

It was devils advocate. Not my own idea.

...yes, it is extreme.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread