My Property in Dahlonega, Georgia

NorthGa

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.. I posted this in the "General" forum, and it was suggested that I post here. Pardon the "Copy/Paste" look, but here goes.

Wow.. Its been forever since I browsed these forums.. Years and Years I'm sure.

Anyways, I decided to log in and post to get a few opinions.

I'm located in North Georgia, West of Dahlonega. Many of you already know about the Gold in the Dahlonega area.

Anyways, I'm blessed to have some property and for years my wife has claimed that there is gold on it. This has been passed down from generation to generation in her family. This property has been in the family since the original Georgia Land Lottery days.

So, after hearing about this gold bearing area, she and I decided to put this to a rest as I'm prob the biggest skeptic of all. About a month ago, we jumped into the Polaris and headed to the creek. Not knowing a Gold pan from a frying pan, we dug around a bit in the creek bed. I pulled maybe 5 gallons of loose gravel and mud. Also, we're covered up with Quartz.. Lots of Quartz. I know of at least 4-5 huge boulders that are the size of a pretty big car engine. These would take a serious bulldozer to move in my opinion. The other pieces are on the hillside all over the place.

We messed around with the dirt a bit the best we could and came away with a tiny flake of what we believe *may* be a piece of gold. I used a 15x Macro lens clipped onto my iPhone to photograph the tiny speck.

I'm attaching images for your thoughts and opinions before I invest further.
FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_5666.JPG IMG_5672.JPG

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The main thing that I can recommend, is to not over think about how to determine whether there is Gold on your' property or not and to not buy unneeded and sometimes costly items to do so. A Spiral Gold Panner while great, is not exactly cheap unless you find a used cheap one nearby and will not do much more than what a Gold Pan can do in the correct and experienced hands. A good Gold Pan or two, several Classifiers with different mesh, buckets and the will to learn and do strenuous labor is about all you need. Learn how to pan, where the ideal locations are on a stream or creek for Gold, sample many areas as well as dig deep, classifying and panning everything you dig. If you find Gold, this will tell you at what depths in the creek bed you are likely to hit Gold. Continuing to dig deeper will also tell you if Gold has been deposited in the stream or creek over a very long period (which it likely has) but it has just been covered over by (overburden) sediments and rocks.

It would be great if you could get an experienced Gold Prospector to inspect and sample for Gold on your' property but I would advise to find someone that is well known and trusted. Some folks are leery of allowing someone to test for Gold on their' property because then the word gets out that there is Gold there and then they may have to deal with trespassers. This is understandable but there are a lot of good folks that will keep their' mouths shut if asked. I would recommend against allowing anyone on your' property with an express contract that you all split what they find unless you know for sure that they can be trusted. Gold does weird things to folks and the more they find the greedier they become. Since it is probably certain that you cannot oversee any Gold prospecting or mining operation on your' property 24/7, it would be easy for a person or persons to hide some Gold away from the take that is to be split. Folks that do allow this, usually have locked gates and have to unlock them to allow anyone in or out that is prospecting or mining and this allows you to know when they are or are not there.

Good luck and I wish you the best on finding Gold on your' property!

Frank

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia is a beautiful state

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread