My review of the Garrett Pro Pointer:

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I got my Pro Pointer in the mail this morning. I ordered it from the great folks at Metaldetector.com:
http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=847

When I got the package everything was there. I got the Pro Pointer with holster, a nice pouch(probably going to use for my park hunting), a digger(plastic type), a coin probe(never had one before and I like it...nice and sturdy) and two books(which I haven't read yet).
I took out the Pro Pointer and started playing with it a bit. It's fairly loud, the vibration isn't much, but really and truely that is all you need. I really didn't like the idea of the sound not being able to be turned off..... and still don't, but what do you do? I took some good electrical tape and cut a piece to fit over the speaker up and down the shaft. I then ran the tape around the shaft over the speaker hole several times. Hopefully it will be waterproof now and the sound is muffled, but not all of the way quite. The unit is very well made and seems to be solid. It has an LED light on it, which would be great for night hunters but it doesn't affect me in either way. I started playing with it in the house and it seemed OK for finding stuff in my hand, but I didn't expect alot out of it when digging. I then got the holster out and snapped it on my hunting belt. The holster is well built and is very sturdy. It will not give much and that's a good thing since the pinpointer is push button. You can't just bump the unit in the holster and have it come on. The pinpointer also stays in the holster very nicely and doesn't appear that it could accidently fall out. I put the belt on and grabbed the old Ace250 and went over to an old yard. I started working the yard and got a nice hit. I dug out a plug and pulled out the Pro Pointer. I turned it on and ran it over the plug. The item was still in the hole. I put the pinpointer in the hole and it sounded off just a bit so I moved the tip of the pointer towards the most sound and vibration. I pulled an old bottle top from the hole, but was still pleased that the pinpointer worked so well. I tried a few more targets. There was really no guessing on where the item was each time. I love the fact that the Pro Pointer will pick the item up on the side of the wand up to the handle. This makes it very easy to locate items. Same for the sifting blade as I never figured I would never use this feature.
I think if the Pro Pointer was waterproof and had a way to turn off the sound this would be the absolute best pinpointer for my use on the market today. Hopefully the tape will keep it waterproof. I would use an epoxy on it, but want to be able to have the full sound if I want it. Of course I don't think epoxy will keep the sound from still coming through..... it is loud.

If you are looking for a pinpointer for dry use and/or one that has plenty of sound I would recommend this unit.
If you are looking for a pinpointer that is quite and/or waterproof then you might want to look at Vibraprobe.

I really do like the Pro Pointer. I just feel it could have been designed to fit more needs.

This thing really speeds up recovery time meaning more time to hunt. I have been using the machine I was hunting with and waving it over the plug. Sometimes the item would still be in the hole and this was when it was a pain to locate. Normally I would have a hole the size of a steering wheel and a foot deep and it still took forever to locate the item. I always tried to make the nice plugs that I see others make, but it wasn't until I used this new pinpointer that I could make nice a neat holes that didn't look like a rabid dog had dug them. You couldn't even tell I had been there. For dry land hunting the Pro Pointer is the absolute ticket. No more taking several minutes to find a target.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturna said:
Normally I would have a hole the size of a steering wheel and a foot deep and it still took forever to locate the item.

So I'm not the only one then... ;D

Jay
Well now that makes 3 of us.................................==Jim_K==

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nope.....There are 4 of us.

I can dig a plug, but have a heck of a time pinpointing with MD, so I make 1 big hole and still have a hard time finding something. I will look into this since I am looking at getting my son an ACE 250 for Christmas.

Sue

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Good review, Swamp...I wonder if this is an all American made item or a Chinese with a Garrett mark on. Sounds that quite all the handhelds are china made....100 USD seemed not bad for a Chinese handheld!!

Melv.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Hi SwampHunter good read i just got the Garrett PP my first PP

While its not water proof its rain splash rated i also taped mine

Volume control could be nice but no knobs only push on/off is the simplicity of it

great length and size the VProbe looks like a night stick next to it

some other probes the stem is small and could break and most important

no interference with my F 75 running wide open That's my take Thanks

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Great Review. For those who might want to compare it to other pinpointers
might want to look at the new DetectorPro Pistol Probe. Very Good probe
as well. (I'm Not A Dealer) There is some new info on the pistol probe on
this site now.